How do I weigh my food and record it accurately?

Options
2»

Replies

• mbmillr
    mbmillr Posts: 28
    Options
    Another ? Are things like oatmeal or pasta weighed before or after cooking? For instance a serving size of spaghetti is 2 oz? So is this like the chicken where it is best to weigh it uncooked since it will expand and the weight will change?

Use however it's packaged. If it's raw chicken, weigh it raw. If it's uncooked pasta, weigh it that way. The only exception is if the package says something different. Like my bacon says "2 pieces fried (34 grams)" so I fry the pieces, then I weigh out 34 grams worth.

Very smart. Never thought if it that way!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,905 Member
    Options
    If the serving size is 28g., then each 1/4 serving is 7 grams. So 35g is 1.25 servings. But 28g is also an ounce, so if your scale will allow you to switch between ounces and grams, it would also tell you that this is 1.2 or 1.3 ounces (my scale rounds off to nearest tenth).

Hope that helps. I weigh my pasta before I cook it.
  • mbmillr
    Options
    If the serving size is 28g., then each 1/4 serving is 7 grams. So 35g is 1.25 servings. But 28g is also an ounce, so if your scale will allow you to switch between ounces and grams, it would also tell you that this is 1.2 or 1.3 ounces (my scale rounds off to nearest tenth).

Hope that helps. I weigh my pasta before I cook it.

That's great advice too. Never thought about toggling on my scale between grams and ounces. I've always looked for grams in the MFP database bc that is usually what shows up.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    By far the easiest way for me is to change the serving size to 1g then your number of servings would be the weight you want ie.. 74g would be 74 servings of 1g. If it doesn't let you put in the 1g option and only gives you the 100g option, again it is very simple to do the math in your head, 173g would be 1.73 servings of 100g, 35g would be 0.35 servings of 100g.
  • mbmillr
    Options
    By far the easiest way for me is to change the serving size to 1g then your number of servings would be the weight you want ie.. 74g would be 74 servings of 1g. If it doesn't let you put in the 1g option and only gives you the 100g option, again it is very simple to do the math in your head, 173g would be 1.73 servings of 100g, 35g would be 0.35 servings of 100g.

Ty. That is very easy!