Free weights or Machine?

Options
I am curious to know which is better (Free weights or machine). With my trainer we did both, but mainly stuck with machines, now that I don't have my trainer I am a bit insecure doing the machines so I am wondering if I can just stick with free weights.

Or just stick to cardio and do a dvd for weight training, if it were up to me I would just stick to Cardio but I know that Weight training is important in order to build muscle.

Replies

• RainyDayProphet
    Options
    I prefer Free weights and I'm pretty sure most everyone who is serious about exercise agrees with me.

:) I don't use machines at all in my workouts
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing a workout video that incorporates free weights. I'm pretty sure free weights are better because they require you to use more muscles while the machines usually only focus on one muscle. I really like the Jillian Michael's video and also Boot Camp with Sue Hitzman.
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    I tend to use free weights (like kettle bells) a lot more because it's easy to incorporate them into workouts that raise your heart rate, so you're effectively doing cardio and resistance work at the same time.
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I prefer free weights, they are more intense than the machines since they require your body to do 100% of the work.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Free weights are superior. They work more muscles than machines for comparable exercises because you have to balance and stabilize them. Most trainer's will tell you to use free weights first in your workout, then do the machines. Of course, if you want to skip the machines altogether and stick to free weights, all the better!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Free weights are better because there is no friction. The machines have friction on the positive (up on a benchpress) making it harder(which you don't want) and easier on the negative (down)(which you don't want). Some machines are necessary to do things w/out a spotter but overall freeweights yield better results.
  • bounce0033
    Options
    agree with everyone free weights. I prefer dumbells when I work out so I can ensure those little silly stabilization muscles are properly strained in my effort to lift things :happy:
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Free weights it is thanks everyone for your input =)
    ( i too prefer free weights but used machine with trainer so got a bit confused).