Anyone knowledgable about fitbits or nike fuel band?

Options
I would like to buy one of these,I think it would really inspire me to get moving. Any advice welcome,I am not technically smart at all,do I just buy these things and put them on my wrist? Is the set up hard,do I need to hook them up with my computer?
Denise :smile:

Replies

• beckyjeanleemaddox
    beckyjeanleemaddox Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one. If you want to sync it to your MFP you just to to MFP apps and connect it after you get it started on fitbit.com. You log in on MFP and it links to Fitbit.com. It's not that hard just a little confusing at first. It's very motivating. I like mine.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit, have had it for about four years now. We're now a Fitbit family (two of my boys, my parents, brothers and their wives). I did a post about what you can expect from a Fitbit on my blog

http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondering-about-fitbit.html

The setup isn't very hard. I do think hooking up with a computer is recommended, but many of the smart phones have an app that can do most things too (including set up I think). I've set up several Fitbits as I'm considered the family "expert". Basically you just set up an account with Fitbit, then link the device ... the computer/phones just looks for the signal. It's pretty easy.

Then yes, just wear it. Sync it and check your stats. I am really motivated by the daily display, you can "see" your activity (or lack) and I love having a record of everything. I am a Fitbit Fan and do recommend it! There are several other types of activity trackers, but I do think Fitbit is the biggest and most well known name. So many sites (like this one) sync with it. I love how MFP and Fitbit work together. I have my Fitbit linked with several other sites as well, several "reward" programs. Seriously, my Fitbit has paid for itself (there are programs out there that reward, with $$ even, for your activity!)
  • stjean5
    stjean5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! It makes you realize how much or how little you do on any given day. Since it syncs with MFP it takes the guess work out of trying to determine how many calories equate to whatever exercise you are doing. I also have the Aria scale. I like the Fitbit One since it can hook onto your shirt, bra, or pants. I am not sure that I would use something that I had to wear on my wrist, but that's just me :)
  • chench53
    chench53 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I ordered a fitbit, and in advance, I set up fitbit online so it talks to MFP. I log food in MFP and I see it in Fitbit, so I expect it's a two way street and my steps will somehow fill MFP.

I think when I get the device, I just set it up and it all talks to each other!

Gerry
  • Denisebar
    Denisebar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info so far,I am just worried about the technical part of it. I think I would like the wristband kind.
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Fitbit rocks!
  • Denisebar
    Denisebar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gerry maybe I can try that techy things scare me to death!
  • sadiebea25
    sadiebea25 Posts: 72
    Options
    Well, I'll be the first one to say I have a fuelband. I like it, it counts steps, cals burned, and Nike "fuel" burned, which I'm not really sure about that part, but it's fun to try to hit that goal. It's motivating to get to my fuel goal and 10,000 steps. And I must say, it tells time too, and now I'm really used to it on my wrist for a watch too. It's nice not having to pull my phone out for the time anymore! I know I can't really hit my fuel goal and my step goal without going for a 3 mi walk, or going to zumba, so I've been doing that more. Overall, I'd recommend it!
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I love it! I like how it syncs to mfp. It makes you push yourself harder to reach your daily goals. What's even more fun about it? You can add and compete against your friends!! :)
  • argos14
    argos14 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I got the Aria scale too! It works great and makes it easy to track!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Zip and I love it. I just clip it on in the mornings and go about my day. You can make friends on there too and compare your steps with theirs on the leaderboard. I know quite a few people who use that as motivation to move more.