Can you lose 20-23 pounds in 3 months?

Options
Hey guys I want to lose 20-23 pounds in about three months and I wanted to know if this was possible. I am 160LBS, female and 5"9'. About how many calories should I eat and how much should I workout to achieve this goal if its possible? Thanks.:happy:

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight, nope, not gonna happen. You're already a healthy weight for your height, and that means that it's going to take longer because your body can't handle large calorie deficits. You should aim for 1/2- 1 lb per week loss, and know that you're going to be at the point where you're going to need to drop to just 1/2 lb per week loss pretty soon.

Read these links, they are super helpful. Beyond that, I recommend focusing on strength training and doing a little cardio. the strength training will help preserve lean body mass and help you lose inches, which means that even if you aren't at your goal weight on the scale, you would be wearing smaller size clothing.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You and I are at the same stats right now. I'm only looking to lose about 10 (no more than 15) more pounds, and I expect to do it over the next 3 months or so. You aren't going to drop 20-30 pounds that quickly though, unless you eat at quite a large deficit (and probably be hungry all the time) and work out constantly. Doesn't sound like much fun. 145-150 is considered the "ideal weight" for our height, if there even is such a thing, going down to 130 seems a bit drastic to me, but if that's your ultimate goal I would suggest a much longer timeframe.
  • webneb
    webneb Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I believe you could do that I lost about the same in 3 months. Fair given being a male will be slightly different. I was doing daily cardio and lifting about 3 times a week. I was eating between 1600-1900 calories daily depending on training levels and macro needs.It will be different for a female however can be done. I was burning approx 7000 cals a week.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I have lost 12lbs in two months. It could be possible, if you make this a lifestyle choice. I eat 1,660 a day minimum, and aim for .5lb loss/week. It's been a lot more because it's the beginning of my journey and I've become more active. I started at around 148-150 though, so a little less than you.

I would recommend doing a lower loss goal, so that you can adapt to the changes better. I've tried the 1,200 cal/day plan, and I was miserable and hungry. I also couldn't stick to it. Lowering my weekly loss goals has allowed me to adapt to my lifestyle changes better, and has lead to unintended bigger losses. My next goal was to lose another 10lbs in two and a half months, just to put it into perspective.

Punch in your goal and stats into MFP, and aim for a .5/1lb a week loss, and follow what MFP says.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Given your height and your already healthy weight? I'd say no, not in a healthy way, anyway.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and was very close to the same starting weight as you and lost 21 pounds in 2 months, so I'd say it's absolutely possible.

Edited to add, I do not starve myself or exercise till I'm blue in the face. I have about 1600 cals per day on average and do an hour of walking or walk/run everyday.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Given your height and your already healthy weight? I'd say no, not in a healthy way, anyway.

Just gonna pipe in with my two cents.
    Saying she is already a "healthy weight" and that she won't be able to do it healthfully isn't helpful.

I was a healthy weight when I started. But I am losing the weight the right way, and reaching a goal that is still good for my height. Wanting to lose weight within a healthy range for your height isn't wrong. Nor is telling someone they won't be able to do it healthfully, when clearly people within this thread have done it.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Saying she is already a "healthy weight" and that she won't be able to do it healthfully isn't helpful.

I was a healthy weight when I started. But I am losing the weight the right way, and reaching a goal that is still good for my height. Wanting to lose weight within a healthy range for your height isn't wrong. Nor is telling someone they won't be able to do it healthfully, when clearly people within this thread have done it.

They didn't say she couldn't or shouldn't lose weight because she's at a healthy weight. They're saying she won't lose it that fast. Do you think she's going to lose it that fast the "right way?"

I have, and I started at a lower weight than her. My weight loss in two months has been around 12lbs.
    And that was with no starving, and no deprivation. It is possible.

Edit: typo.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

FAST. She wants to do it FAST. THAT was my purpose in replying to her question.
  • eustaciavye
    eustaciavye Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That's a rapid weight loss. While people do succeed in this, be aware that sometimes this results in two unwanted results: saggy skin (depending a bit on your age) and quick weight regain (and then some).
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    You can if you starve yourself and don't drink water. DON'T DO THAT!!!!

You may be able to lose 20 pounds MAYBE in three months if you are careful and you exercise 6 days a week. But since you are in a rush, it is likely you won't do it or if you do, you won't keep it off.

That's the general "statistic" with the population who wants to rush to lose in a short amount of time.

That's not being negative of mean, it's just the way things seem. Stick around a while and you will see your question and many others like that pop up and you will understand the general cynism of the people reply.

Oh and by the way, you are at a perfect weight for your height. I'm the same height and I look smashing at that weight. It seems like you are looking for the "skinny" look......not a good look.

(shrugs shoulder)
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    That's a rapid weight loss. While people do succeed in this, be aware that sometimes this results in two unwanted results: saggy skin (depending a bit on your age) and quick weight regain (and then some).

You're not going to get saggy skin from losing 20 lbs...fast or slow.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 in 3 months once.. but I was severely depressed, I was over exercising and I was starving myself. I wouldn't recommend it.
  • gotolam
    Options
    Hey guys I want to lose 20-23 pounds in about three months and I wanted to know if this was possible. I am 160LBS, female and 5"9'. About how many calories should I eat and how much should I workout to achieve this goal if its possible? Thanks.:happy:

If you want to lose 20 lbs in 3 months, there are plenty of ways to do that. The one sure way NOT to do it is spending time on a message board trying to figure out "the best way". Just start doing it. Eat less. Exercise more.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    it's possible with a 1000 cal deficit
  • ValGogo
    Options

FAST. She wants to do it FAST. THAT was my purpose in replying to her question.

HAHA, you tell 'em Sabine.
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    First off people saying losing 20-23 lbs in 3 months as fast? That is an average 2 lbs per week is completely healthy!

I started on here at 155 and I am 5'7.5- I lost 20 lbs in 3 months, and the last 5-8 lbs took me almost 6 months after that.

I did it with regular exercise and watching my calories. I didn't starve myself, I very much adopted the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) and ate what I liked in moderation.

Also- she didn't state that she wanted to do it "fast" she just asked if it was possible to lose 20 lbs in 3 months. Yes, it is. Will everyone be able to? No, but if she is staying within a healthy means and limits than there is nothing wrong with a 2lb per week loss.
  • ValGogo
    Options

If you want to lose 20 lbs in 3 months, there are plenty of ways to do that. The one sure way NOT to do it is spending time on a message board trying to figure out "the best way". Just start doing it. Eat less. Exercise more.

Good answer.
  • gotolam
    Options
    First off people saying losing 20-23 lbs in 3 months as fast? That is an average 2 lbs per week is completely healthy!

I started on here at 155 and I am 5'7.5- I lost 20 lbs in 3 months, and the last 5-8 lbs took me almost 6 months after that.

I did it with regular exercise and watching my calories. I didn't starve myself, I very much adopted the IIFYM (if it fits your macros) and ate what I liked in moderation.

Also- she didn't state that she wanted to do it "fast" she just asked if it was possible to lose 20 lbs in 3 months. Yes, it is. Will everyone be able to? No, but if she is staying within a healthy means and limits than there is nothing wrong with a 2lb per week loss.

Thank you.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    yes easily