Anyone else doing meal replacement shakes?

Options
I'm not looking for negative comments regarding them. I am looking for others who do them so we can support each other.

I am doing a high protein low carb shake. Today is day 1, and I did amazing.

I'm doing this to help kick start my weight loss again, I love exercise.

Who else needs support?

I am doing shakes for breakfast and lunch

For snacks I am having fruit/nuts or veggie sticks

Then having a healthy meal. Tonight it is vegetable bake, so broccoli, cauli, beans, carrots, onions and chicken with cheese on top.

I exercise 40-60 minutes 6 times per week.

Replies

• auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Just a question. Are you eating any real food or only drinking shakes?
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    I am doing shakes for breakfast and lunch

For snacks I am having fruit/nuts or veggie sticks

Then having a healthy meal. Tonight it is vegetable bake, so broccoli, cauli, beans, carrots, onions and chicken with cheese on top.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts and suck at meal prepping... I pack a couple of the EAS carb control in my lunch box and it helps me get through the day without hitting the snack machine and it fixes my chocolate craving. However I am eating at least one meal and some fruit during the day as well.
  • Carley
    Options
    I posted above what my day looks like, though my mains change :-)
  • keobooks
    keobooks Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I decided to try a few different brands because I'm going into a nonsurgical bariatric program in July and liquid diets are an option if you are my size. Errr I had a problem with all of them. After an hour or so of drinking one, I'd feel slightly ill and end up on the toilet for an hour having a miserable time. I don't know what could be in them, but something doesn't agree with me. If anyone else had this problem, was there a certain kind that your body could handle? Sorry for tmi, but I really want to know.
  • Carley
    Options
    I decided to try a few different brands because I'm going into a nonsurgical bariatric program in July and liquid diets are an option if you are my size. Errr I had a problem with all of them. After an hour or so of drinking one, I'd feel slightly ill and end up on the toilet for an hour having a miserable time. I don't know what could be in them, but something doesn't agree with me. If anyone else had this problem, was there a certain kind that your body could handle? Sorry for tmi, but I really want to know.

I wonder what made you sick? I am sorry you had a bad time with them :-(
  • Maychurro
    Maychurro Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I drink the Herbalife shakes, twice a day. I love them. They really help me stay on track. I would recommend them.
  • Carley
    Options
    I drink the Herbalife shakes, twice a day. I love them. They really help me stay on track. I would recommend them.

How long have yo been doing it for now? I wish you all the best.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Next Step shakes from Vitamin World during the week for about a month or so now and have lost 7 pounds. I like them since they are high protein, lower carb and I was never hitting my protein and going over my carbs. When I stick to them and drink water I do really well but sometimes I have them for breakfast and lunch and then pig out at dinner cuz "I have so many free calories". However, I think it's just the current flavor I'm on cuz I just hate it and it doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth so I'm looking for other things with it. Also, I'll pair a piece of fruit with it or a low calorie yogurt to help give me that "joy of chewing".
  • Maychurro
    Maychurro Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking them for about 3 weeks. I'm doing a 7 week weight loss challenge in my community then after that I'm going to ween myself off to work on eating healthy on my own.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking them for about 3 weeks. I'm doing a 7 week weight loss challenge in my community then after that I'm going to ween myself off to work on eating healthy on my own.

I don't understand the point of this - why don't you just start on the healthy eating first without doing the shakes and then weaning on to healthy eating?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I don't understand the point of this - why don't you just start on the healthy eating first without doing the shakes and then weaning on to healthy eating?

I don't do shakes...personally I find them not very satisfying. I do understand why some people use them though. I think that for some it is daunting to try and figure out "what is healthy" and what fits their macro/micro levels. I know that took me a while to figure out and still stay within a calorie goal. It took time.

Many people drink smoothies...is a shake much different? No one says a word to people who replace breakfast with a smoothie. For a brief time I drank a smoothie for breakfast...I added a scoop of "shake" powder to it make sure that it contained a more balanced nutrient content. They didn't fill me up so I abandoned that idea.

I have managed to lose 67lbs in 9 months...without shakes or smoothies. Are they necessary for weight loss...obviously not...but...if someone uses them while they work on their meal plan...I don't see the harm. It is daunting to change breakfast-lunch-dinner all at the same time. I spent a good portion of my time just trying to revamp my eating...there were days that it became overwhelming for me.

Please explain to me...what is the difference between replacing a meal with a shake and replacing a meal with a smoothie???

Okay...I am through with my morning rant...on to a brighter day...
  • sjiektallgirl
    sjiektallgirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also have a hectic work shedule and don't always get the chence to prepare meals.

I replace at least one meal a day with Annique's Lifestyle Shakes. That also add to my daily calcium/dairy fix.

I would love to know about shakes I can mix with water and not milk, though
  • lindam4
    lindam4 Posts: 10
    Options
    You could have an allergy. I stay away from whey unless it is whey isolate. I definitely stay away from soy. You can google how harmful soy is. I also have a violent anaphylactic shock reaction from chia seeds.
    I have no reaction from pea protein and it's thick like a shake. I add raw spinach and a few berries and flax seed to it. Anything more adds too many calories. I was using Arbonne pea protein and liked it but it's too expensive. I use Olympia Labs from VitaCost.com Hope this helps.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options

I don't do shakes...personally I find them not very satisfying. I do understand why some people use them though. I think that for some it is daunting to try and figure out "what is healthy" and what fits their macro/micro levels. I know that took me a while to figure out and still stay within a calorie goal. It took time.

Many people drink smoothies...is a shake much different? No one says a word to people who replace breakfast with a smoothie. For a brief time I drank a smoothie for breakfast...I added a scoop of "shake" powder to it make sure that it contained a more balanced nutrient content. They didn't fill me up so I abandoned that idea.

I have managed to lose 67lbs in 9 months...without shakes or smoothies. Are they necessary for weight loss...obviously not...but...if someone uses them while they work on their meal plan...I don't see the harm. It is daunting to change breakfast-lunch-dinner all at the same time. I spent a good portion of my time just trying to revamp my eating...there were days that it became overwhelming for me.

Please explain to me...what is the difference between replacing a meal with a shake and replacing a meal with a smoothie???

Okay...I am through with my morning rant...on to a brighter day...

Well I guess the only difference between a commercial shake and a home made smoothie is cost and probably freshness of ingredients.

I'm not saying either can't be part of a balanced diet or part of a weight loss plan - I just don't get the idea of using them short term and then weaning onto healthy eating - why not just start on the plan you are going to continue with ( which may or may not include shakes or smoothies)
    Why do a temporary stop gap?
  • keobooks
    keobooks Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I thought a lot more people would have my problem, but it doesn't seem to be that way. I looked up what it could be. Turns out that it's most likely too high in zinc. I take a zinc supplement to stave off colds. The shakes are high in zinc. Too much zinc can make you really sick. So if you're taking these shakes, do not take any zinc supplements or else you'll be miserable.
  • Jessr0se
    Jessr0se Posts: 12
    Options
    Good luck! That vegetable bake sounds amazing! Do you have a recipe or just chop up some veggies, throw in some chicken and top it with cheese?
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein smoothie once a day about 3 days a week post work out. Usually on strength training days.

But then I eat lots of protein, grains, fruit, veggies etc for balance.

I would only caution you to be sure you are getting plenty of protein post workouts and carbs pre workout to be sure you have the energy for said workout. Especially if you do any strength training. Your muscles and your body needs it to function and build.

Good luck
  • Carley
    Options
    Good luck! That vegetable bake sounds amazing! Do you have a recipe or just chop up some veggies, throw in some chicken and top it with cheese?

Pretty much lol

I half boil the veggies, dice the chicken small enough so I do not need to pre cook it. Bake it 30-40 mins

Yummy
  • MLR930
    MLR930 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I was skeptical about these until a couple friends started and one has lost 35 lbs and another 18. I ordered the peach mango beverage mix and fell in love with it and it surprisingly kept me full at work til I could go home and eat a real meal. I just ordered the mint chocolate shake and can't wait to try it.