Can't stop eating

Options
Does anyone else have days where they just can't stop eating? Like, it doesn't even matter what it is, but every time you turn around you want to put something else in your mouth?
How do you deal with days like that? Go with it and make up for it on another day when you're not as hungry, or fight yourself and restrict intake?
Ack!

Replies

• robosurgmd
    robosurgmd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you go with it, make healthy choices. When I get that feeling I eat fruits. If you want to fight it, chew gum and hit the gym.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's called reactive eating, it's your body's way of trying to get the nutrients it wants/needs. Make sure you aren't being too restrictive or aggressive with your calorie goal. Other than that, it's just one day, just move on and go back to your regular diet/eating the next day. Don't compensate by eating even less or you may just end up trapped in an endless cycle of overeating and compensating.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    When I have days like that it's usually because I'm bored. On those days I will find something to do that will occupy my mind. I'll read a book, go for a walk, find something to work on that will keep me from the mindless eating.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. I had a day like that the other day. I really thought about what it was my body was telling me. Do I want to eat because I'm bored? Because I'm emotional about something? Or am I truly hungry? Turns out I was truly hungry and so I ate what I wanted (choosing healthy foods). My body simply needed those calories that day. But some days I want to eat for all the other reasons and on those days I distract myself with other things (usually the gym or a walk with my dogs in the park).
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    But you CAN eat all day as long as you either exercise it away or make choices of food which come within your calorie intake. For example, I've tucked into 8 "meals" today, most of which were small and nutritious. Because I'm eating all day, then I never feel hungry. Have you given this a go?
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have days like that. My diet isn't restrictive AT ALL, and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm bored. I keep a huge glass of water and try to drink anytime I feel hungry. I also get low-cal, high volume foods to occupy me when the feeling strikes. Grapes are a godsend for myself.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I do have those days but thankfully not as often lately, and when I do I still attempt to log everything, even if the final numbers make me cringe. I had a day where MFP predicted I would be 4 pounds heavier in the next five weeks if every day were like that... thankfully it of course won't be, but boy did I shudder at the thought. Logging it and owning up to it helps me get right back on track the next day, whereas in the past I would have just pretended it didn't happen, that denial is what helped me to eat my way to 275 pounds. The awareness is what is helping me to lose the weight.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When I have days like that it's usually because I'm bored. On those days I will find something to do that will occupy my mind. I'll read a book, go for a walk, find something to work on that will keep me from the mindless eating.

This. Or I go to bed. I usually find it is boredom as well.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You CAN stop eating. Just because you WANT to eat something, doesn't mean you lack the discipline to not do it. So sorry, no sympathy here. We all have those days, and we all have to deal with it. Go for a walk, make something to keep your hands busy.

Find a favorite low-calorie snack, I like sugar free Popsicles or jello cups, or sometimes I'll make a frozen strawberry slushie made with diet ginger ale. All well under 100 calories. It all just boils down to whether you want to reach your goals bad enough or not.
  • Captain_Ali
    Captain_Ali Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely try to figure out the source of my snacking. Hopefully it's just because my body is reacting to exercising more and needs a little extra fuel today, if it happens again I'll make sure I'm not just bored. Really appreciate the feedback.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    many ....many.....:indifferent:
  • MismatchedAlmonds
    MismatchedAlmonds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You CAN stop eating. Just because you WANT to eat something, doesn't mean you lack the discipline to not do it. So sorry, no sympathy here.

How charming of you. When you lost your weight did part of it come from your soul?
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water and I am very mindful of WHY I am wanting to eat. I have actually said out loud to myself "No stop, why are you doing that" when reaching into the fridge. I got a very odd look from my husband, Lmao.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You CAN stop eating. Just because you WANT to eat something, doesn't mean you lack the discipline to not do it. So sorry, no sympathy here.

How charming of you. When you lost your weight did part of it come from your soul?

WTF?

She's absolutely right. What are we supposed to say to OP? There, there...go ahead and eat whatever you want when you're hungry...."listen to your body"?

Following that mentality is what got you here in the first place. Eat the calories you're supposed to eat. Stop eating when you reach that limit. Hunger is not an emergency. Get disciplined or get (stay) fat. It's as simple as that.
  • TheIrish1981
    TheIrish1981 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Special K has been a life saver to me. They have so many filling products that are low cal. I would suggest getting their egg and cheese flat breads. They are very filling and at 150 calories you could eat 1, 2, or hell....even 3 and then you can show your body who is boss =)

I am fairly new to all this but i've dropped 9 pounds in 10 days and it has all come from making healthier choices when I feel super hungry.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Hey, you're missing the point.

We have control over food, if does not control us.

Telling a truth means one DOES have plenty of soul.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Yeah I don't really see a problem with what she said. But I can understand your point that if your body is screaming for food you probably aught to give it some. The trick is not over compensating and stuffing your face.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I drink 64oz. of water a day to offset those type of days.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You got to fight those urges to eat. Drink water when you are hungry and wait around 15 minutes to see if you are still hungry.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I drink 64oz. of water a day to offset those type of days.

I drink around 12-16 cups of water a day.