Losing Weight with weights

Options
For some reason when I start working out i always gain weight. I know muscle weighs more than fat but if you are on a diet as well shouldn't you still lose? It seems like i always give up because i am not losing weight. Does it just take time?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Also new programs shock the body and cause DOMS...which most people know as soreness...but also incorporates water retention to aid in muscle repair.

Yes, you are gaining lean muscle. You are also holding on to water at first. And even though the scale doesn't show weight loss, remember that the scale is not measuring body fat loss which is also occurring.

The scale measures muscle + water + body fat...and even if you are losing the fat the number may seem skewed. You have to give it some time for the numbers to cooperate!

Most women who start out new programs (unless they have a LOT of weight to lose) do not see an initial drop on the scale even with proper diet and exercise together. Most start seeing the pounds drop off after at least 2-3 weeks.

Don't give up! Just be patient and give it some time. If you keep up with the workouts and eat right, you WILL see the weight drop off.
  • breezydowell
    Options
    Great Advice!!! Thank you very much = ) I am definetely going to keep it up we started biggest loser at work and its keeping me motivated!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    if you want to see the scale numbers go down allyou need is great eating habits and cardio cardio cardio! muscle doesnt burn fat....
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    if you want to see the scale numbers go down allyou need is great eating habits and cardio cardio cardio! muscle doesnt burn fat....

Um...I *almost* agree with you. Losing the number on the scale is done most easily through diet and cardio...but saying "muscle doesn't burn fat" is bad information...

The more muscle you have in your body, the more fat you burn at rest. Building muscle also allows you to do more cardio without tiring out so quickly.

A balanced program will always incorporate strength training...a purely numbers on the scale program doesn't necessarily need it, but why not go for fitness instead of skinny?