Ladies! Cramps getting worse after I workout

Options
Does this happen to you? I attended a step-strength-abs class yesterday with mild cramps going on and by the time I was done, I had the worst cramps ever. They got worse at night and still haven't gotten better. I wanted to go on the stationary bike today but Im not sure I would be able to do that either. What do you do when your cramps are really severe?

Replies

• PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Drink more water!
  • gcbma
    gcbma Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Try taking ibuprofen before hand, and more water.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks ! I will then. I've been drinking stuff like tea to see if it helps but will try this as well. Thanks!
  • joyfulhappyheart
    joyfulhappyheart Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    low magnesium can also cause that.
  • enriant
    enriant Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is helpful, but I tend to avoid anything besides low-impact cardio at the worst time of my cramps. I guess I can, since they only last 1-2 days for me, but I've found my cramps are related to whether I'm digesting... so I think the increased calorie burn makes things worse, assuming I've eaten in the last 8-10 hours. I'm not sure if this is just me, though ... I'm partially posting because I have the same problem!! :P
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Are we talking menstrual cramps or muscle cramps here? :tongue:

Edited to add: Title is directed at ladies, so I'm assuming menstrual.

Workouts actually relieve my cramps, but if you're having problems, definitely try some Advil beforehand and see if that helps.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen a number of times, especially when I was running a lot. I had it checked out with the doc first, just to be sure there wasn't anything physical happening. Since there's nothing amiss, I make sure I watch my fibre intake the week before and then drink more water than usual. Also make sure I don't eat anything heavy / fibrous before working out those days.

If al else fails, my heating pad gets a little use against the lower abs - that always seems to relieve them a bit.

Good luck finding a solution that works for you
  • nicxox
    nicxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. My cramps are bad enough for the first day anyway, but when I workout I end up crippled with agony! Sometimes walking does help relieve the pain and sometimes it doesn't make a difference...
    I also notice that working out causes me to get bad cramps a few days before my period too :(

Sorry I don't have a solution (regular pain killers do nothing for me), I just wanted you to know that you're not alone...
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Drink more water!

yes. drink more, then more after that.

Also try something warm over the area.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Ginger tea! Either organic bags to make sure you actually get ginger (I really like ginger-lemon tea with just a bit of honey) or cut up a fresh or dried piece of ginger and pour boiling water over it. You can experiment a bit with timing and such but letting it simmer for about 10 minutes seems to work well.