eating before bedtime

Options
Has anyone ever heard of the rule that you SHOULD eat 3 hours before you go to bed?? How accurate is this theory? Does anyone of you follow it?

Thanks,
Tameka

Replies

• cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I personally eat dinner 3 or so hours before dinner, but i have a small snack about an hour before. everybody has their own way, thats just what i do
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I have 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese, 1 cup of skim milk, and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter every night before bed.

Slow digesting protein keeps me full all night long.
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    Ive heard that but I have never followed it and I was always underweight till i had a baby and quit smoking but even then i was never overweight or close to it .so I dont believe in that BS.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    For those trying to loose weight and get into a routine I generally reccomend to try not to eat 2 hours before but this all depends on what you did during the day and how early or late you ate dinner. I tell my clients that if they are starting to feel pretty hungry to eat somethign small with Protein and a little complex carb like cottage cheese and some veggies or small piece of fruit, Raw nut with fruit ect. Make sure your getting that protein that will keep your body satisfied till morning. So listen to your body if you need a little something eat make a good choice and eat. If your not hungry dont eat. Simple as that. You want to wake up hungry not starving
  • Silverstard
    Options
    I try to eat a small bowl of cereal each night. Part of that is because it helps even out my intake over the entire time period I'm awake, part of it is to keep me from starving so much in the morning, and part of it (the /real/ reason) is because I love cereal and if I want to eat a bowl of cereal in the evening, I absolutely have to get in some exercise before I allow myself eat it. :)
  • kr7213
    kr7213 Posts: 7
    Options
    I think all weight loss programs are going to tell you not to eat late at night or just before bed and try to comsum your most calories earlier in the day...I've heard many people not believe in it, but don't recall ever seeing it dissed by anyone in the nutrition field....and then some things like hot milk and other things can help you sleep. The reality is you will burn more calories if you are up and moving around for a few more hours after dinner instead of eating dinner than going and laying in the bed and sleeping.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If you are trying to lose weight then your last meal should be 3 hrs before bed. It takes about 3 hrs for your food to digest. If you have something in your stomach when you go to bed then your body will burn that food rather then stored fat.
    Now if your trying to build muscle, most of the repair process happens at night while you sleep. In that case some slow digesting protein is best. I take casein protein right before I got to bed.
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If you are trying to lose weight then your last meal should be 3 hrs before bed. It takes about 3 hrs for your food to digest. If you have something in your stomach when you go to bed then your body will burn that food rather then stored fat.
    Now if your trying to build muscle, most of the repair process happens at night while you sleep. In that case some slow digesting protein is best. I take casein protein right before I got to bed.

well i want to lose and build muscle. which should i do??
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Well, weight loss requires a calorie deficit. Muscle gaining a calorie surplus. What you do is feed the muscle and let the muscle burn the fat.