Running my first 5K and have a few questions!

Options
I'm sure you guys are pretty tired of me making threads about running, but the advice here is so valuable! Anyway, after many people telling me to get off my butt and sign up for a dang event already, I did, and the 5K is next Monday (my birthday)!

Since I've never run one, I have a few questions. First of all, should I wake up early to eat and hydrate? The race is at 8 AM, so should I wake up around six and get in a Quest bar and some water?

Next, should I listen to music during the event? Should I even bring my phone at all? I usually listen to music when I run, and I've adjusted to how cumbersome the arm band used to be, but I've read that listening to music during group runs detracts from the experience and that it's better to go without. Any thoughts?

The next question is silly, but what should I wear? I have a slew of workout clothes, and my favorite running shorts I'm pretty sure are intended to be biking shorts, since they are fairly short and fitted instead of baggy. I find that these don't rub my legs as raw, but they do ride up between the legs a little. Since it's a morning event, maybe I should skip shorts altogether and opt for pants?

Also, should I wear my road ID? Since I'll have a number, I don't know if I need that kind of identification on me.

I know this all might sound dumb to you guys, but thanks in advance for any replies I get!

Replies

• vicksg1973
    vicksg1973 Posts: 55
    Options
    Good on you for signing up! I've recently returned to running and just completed a 5 mile run which I never thought I would be able to do again!

I wake up early enough to have a poo. Sorry if that's too much information but it can really scupper things! I know some people suffer from nausea if they eat too close to the run but happily I can have toast about 45 mins before and be fine. Unless it's blazingly hot, I wouldn't worry too much about hydrating beforehand, just take some water for during and after.

I'd recommend capri pants to avoid the shorts rubbing issue. I can't run in shorts and it's too hot for full length pants. But if you don't have any 3/4 length and it's not too hot, I'm sure pants will be fine.

I don't know what a road ID is so can't help on that one!

I definitely would not listen to music. You'll miss out on the group run experience.

Hope that helps, and let me know how you get on! If you're like me you'll hate every second of the run but feel amazing and proud of yourself afterwards.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    I have done a few 5K's before and they can be a lot of fun. I don't normally eat before, but I also find this will hurt my running. If you are used to eating something before hand then I would. However, I wouldn't go and have a huge breakfast.

I would drink some water but again you don't need to go crazy, you will want to drink during and after. I haven't brought my own water on the 5K runs I have done since there were water stations at the 1 and 2 mile marks and that was fine for me.

I have never listened to music. For starters a lot of events don't allow music or strongly discourage against it. If you are running along a road that can have traffic this could be a safety hazard.

What do you normally wear while you run? This isn't the time to try out a new outfit or shoes. You want to stick with what you are comfortable with. Also depends on the weather where you are. If it's going to be cold and shorts would make your legs cold even while running then wear pants.

I haven't heard of a road ID either but I would check the 5K event rules and see if it's mentioned that you need on. If yes then bring it. Events I have been to give you some paperwork so you know what to expect to need.

Good Luck!!
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    For my last race, I took the 2 days before the race off from exercise, no running, no heavy lifting. I made sure I drank all of my water 3+litres the day before and ate at what I think would be around maintenance. I like to get up in time to poo as well, nothing worse than having to go when you are trying to run. I do not eat before a morning run normally, so I do not eat anything, just drink coffee.

As far as clothes go, wear what makes you comfortable. You don't want to have wardrobe issues while in a race, so test whatever you are going to wear before race day (underwear too!).

I do listen to music, only one ear bud. I wear my phone on an armband, so that I can see how my time & speed were during the race, and to have a record of the run.

Enjoy it, and have fun!
  • Goofyrunnergirl
    Options
    Do you pick up your bib (race number) the day of the event? If so, then I would bring your Road ID with you. Sometimes bibs have places pre-printed on the back to write in emergency contact information. If the back of the bib is blank, then your Road ID would be great to have on (just in case).

Good luck and have fun!
  • JT_2014
    JT_2014 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have ran quite a few 5Ks, I normally eat half a bagel or half a banana and drink a small amount of water before the race. 5Ks normally don't last very long so you won't need to eat or drink a lot before the race. Wear what you normally wear, trying to figure out what to wear before a race is never a good idea, don't wear something you haven't ran in before, especially shoes. My rule of thumb is to dress like its 20 degrees warmer than the actual tempeture so that after I start running I will warm up but not get over heated. I always run with music, I look for songs with a good rhythm usually 180 beats per minute. I never use a road ID but if you have any allergies or medical issues identified on your road ID then I would wear it.

Hope this helps!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of what you are asking is based on personal preference... before a run, do you normally eat? If yes - eat before your 5K. If no, bring something to eat after! I would hydrate before as well.

As for music, I always listen to music when running. That's just me. As for the group run experience - I get distracted without my ear buds in. I find myself trying to pay attention to what everyone else is doing rather than my own run. So, personal preference. Some races don't allow music, so do check into that before packing your music.

Check the forecast before your race when deciding what to wear. Remember you heat up quickly... you don't want to get too hot or be too cold. I love to run in shorts myself because I find anything else, I'm constantly pulling up (may be because I've never spent good $$ on quality capri/running pants though!).

Good luck on your first race!
    I'm sure you guys are pretty tired of me making threads about running, but the advice here is so valuable! Anyway, after many people telling me to get off my butt and sign up for a dang event already, I did, and the 5K is next Monday (my birthday)!

Since I've never run one, I have a few questions. First of all, should I wake up early to eat and hydrate? The race is at 8 AM, so should I wake up around six and get in a Quest bar and some water?

Next, should I listen to music during the event? Should I even bring my phone at all? I usually listen to music when I run, and I've adjusted to how cumbersome the arm band used to be, but I've read that listening to music during group runs detracts from the experience and that it's better to go without. Any thoughts?

The next question is silly, but what should I wear? I have a slew of workout clothes, and my favorite running shorts I'm pretty sure are intended to be biking shorts, since they are fairly short and fitted instead of baggy. I find that these don't rub my legs as raw, but they do ride up between the legs a little. Since it's a morning event, maybe I should skip shorts altogether and opt for pants?

Also, should I wear my road ID? Since I'll have a number, I don't know if I need that kind of identification on me.

I know this all might sound dumb to you guys, but thanks in advance for any replies I get!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I have ran quite a few 5Ks, I normally eat half a bagel or half a banana and drink a small amount of water before the race. 5Ks normally don't last very long so you won't need to eat or drink a lot before the race. Wear what you normally wear, trying to figure out what to wear before a race is never a good idea, don't wear something you haven't ran in before, especially shoes. My rule of thumb is to dress like its 20 degrees warmer than the actual tempeture so that after I start running I will warm up but not get over heated. I always run with music, I look for songs with a good rhythm usually 180 beats per minute. I never use a road ID but if you have any allergies or medical issues identified on your road ID then I would wear it.

Hope this helps!

I agree with everything! I've stupidly worn brand new shoes and it was the most uncomfortable race I've ever run.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Wake up early and eat a relatively light breakfast with protein and a complex carbs (egg sandwich, is my breakfast of choice). Drink water, but not so much that you will have to pee midrace, a 5K is pretty short, and unless you are pretty out of shape you aren't going to have any gatorade commercial collapsing at the finish line.

Get to the race at least a 30 to 45 minutes early. You will have to sign in, and they will give you stuff (shirt, candy bars, flyers), give yourself time to put all of this stuff in your car and still get back to the starting line in a decent amount of time.

Wear whatever is comfortable for running for you, it will be colder than usual, but once you start running you will warm up. For early morning/spring events I usually wear running shorts and a t-shirt under pajama pants and a hoodie, and I drop the over clothes right before the race, then if I am cold afterwards I have something warm to put on.

I used to listen to music when I raced because I listened to music when I trained. I started racing events that don't allow headphones (triathlons) and have never gone back to listening to music while training or racing. It's personal preference, most people will have headphones though.

I wouldn't worry about the Road ID, you will be running with a big group of people at an organized event. If you get hit by a car, somebody will see it, and they will have a way of figuring out who you are.

At the starting line pick your place in the pack wisely 6-8 minute mile - front of the pack, 8-10 - middle of the pack, 11-12 - back of the pack, 12-15, very back. Then you will start with the folks you finish with more or less, and you won't get passed by as many people (psychologically rewarding). After it's over have a banana and some gatorade. Have lots of fun. Always set a couple of goals, one that you can definitely do, and one that you might have to push yourself a bit. Goal 1 for me is always Finish the Event, and I have never DNF'd, Goal 2 for me is always Run the Whole Event. Goal 3 for me is always an over all finish time (under 45 minutes for my first 5K, haha), Goal 4 is usually something course specific (keep an 11 minute pace up that huge steep hill in mile 2, or pace goals for each mile, etc).

Have fun, race strong. Remember, all you have to do is put one foot in front of the other until you reach the finish line.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own pre-race routines, and you'll find out what works and what doesn't. However a couple of things are pretty standard.

- Drink sufficient water on the two days before the race, and just a normal amount in the morning of the race. For a 5K this will get you plenty hydrated to the end (and you wont need a pee mid-race!)
    - Breakfast. With an early start, nothing too heavy. I usually have one or two bananas, and a cereal bar. Take something for after the race, and I do, seriously, suggest a bar of chocolate. It's allowed, honestly.
    - Don't wear something new. New clothes need to be broken in, especially if you have rubbing or chaffing issues. Most folk won't care what your wearing, within reason :tongue: It's YOUR race, not anyone else's - so whatever makes you comfortable.
    - Music is a personal one, but, yes, I do. If this is a race I am presuming it will be marshalled, removing the majority of the danger element. If you take it and decide not to use it, you've lost nothing. If you don't take it, and want it........... It can be a nice experience, your first race, but others can be distraction and music does help the focus (and timing).

Try hard, but overall enjoy. Good luck.
  • jaysull21
    jaysull21 Posts: 58
    Options
    My advice would be to do whatever it was that you've done in prepping for this 5K.

If you've eaten before, eat before. If you usually are running at night, and have had meals before, then its harder to judge, but you should know how your body reacts with or without food.

If you have clothes that you're comfortable running in, then use those.

Music (may depend on the race if they allow it, but most do) , if that will make you more comfortable, then go for it.

It's your deal, you get to do it however you want! (especially if its your birthday!) No need to overthink it. :)

Be proud of your accomplishment when you cross that finish line, and most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice so far!

Here's a bit of information: since I have a one year old and can only run in the evenings when my husband gets home, I'm used to eating all day before my runs and have only ever run in the mornings a handful of times.
  • Chefvan
    Chefvan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    start hydration the day before, don't over hydrate before the race it will cause massive craps. ware what is comfortable. comfort is key. use the shoes you have been using, don't get new ones. listen to music is fine, but don't forget to focus on breathing right. i use to run a 5k every week.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Everyone has given great advice! One thing that I always have to watch is not starting off too fast. Everyone sort of takes off from the starting line, and it's easy to wear yourself out quickly if it's a faster pace than you're used to. Consciously hold yourself back to a pace you're comfortable at. You WILL end up passing a handful of people who took off too quickly for themselves in the beginning. It's happened to me every time. Good luck!
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of great advice so far, that I won't repeat.

Regarding what you say here:

Here's a bit of information: since I have a one year old and can only run in the evenings when my husband gets home, I'm used to eating all day before my runs and have only ever run in the mornings a handful of times.

If it is a morning run, you need to get out at least once (preferably twice or more) for a practice morning run. Whether you eat or not, and how your morning goes can make a huge difference in your race experience. My friend cannot run with anything in her stomach before a morning race, it causes her too many digestive issues. However, I have to eat. I get up and eat an hour an a half before the race time (a bagel with nut butter, and some coffee is my standard morning pre-race meal) then I use the bathroom, and have no troubles whatsoever with tummy cramping or digestive problems. So, you will benefit greatly knowing how eating or not eating will affect you before a morning run. Try going out very early before your husband leaves for work once this week, and then on Saturday (if he doesn't work on that day?) so you can see if eating or not eating is best for you.

Other things I didn't see mentioned:
    ~If you must stop to tie a shoe, or walk get to the side and out of the pack first. Runners behind you may crash into you if you stop suddenly. The same goes at the water stations, if you are going to stop to drink, or walk while drinking -move to the side. Some runners do the fast grab and drink without even slowing down.

~Be careful to not go out too fast. The energy of the crowd at the start is exciting, but if you burn all your energy in that first half mile, you will pay for it in the last mile and a half. Instead let people pass you in the beginning, as everyone is just working to break out of the crowd. Once the crowd is thinned out, work on picking up your pace, while keeping it comfortable. Aim for a negative split (running the second half faster than the first half). You will be passing all the runners that went out too fast in the beginning.

~Finish STRONG!! My husband always tells me "if you aren't going to sprint the finish, why even show up?" I have to say he is so right. No matter how my race is going, the approach to the finish is encouraging with the cheering spectators, I can always find some deep reserve of energy to sprint my hardest for the last stretch and pass one or more the runners directly infront of me. It does a lot to boost the "race feeling" of the event.

~Have Fun!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You've gotten a lot of great advice so far, that I won't repeat.

Regarding what you say here:

If it is a morning run, you need to get out at least once (preferably twice or more) for a practice morning run. Whether you eat or not, and how your morning goes can make a huge difference in your race experience. My friend cannot run with anything in her stomach before a morning race, it causes her too many digestive issues. However, I have to eat. I get up and eat an hour an a half before the race time (a bagel with nut butter, and some coffee is my standard morning pre-race meal) then I use the bathroom, and have no troubles whatsoever with tummy cramping or digestive problems. So, you will benefit greatly knowing how eating or not eating will affect you before a morning run. Try going out very early before your husband leaves for work once this week, and then on Saturday (if he doesn't work on that day?) so you can see if eating or not eating is best for you.

Other things I didn't see mentioned:
    ~If you must stop to tie a shoe, or walk get to the side and out of the pack first. Runners behind you may crash into you if you stop suddenly. The same goes at the water stations, if you are going to stop to drink, or walk while drinking -move to the side. Some runners do the fast grab and drink without even slowing down.

~Be careful to not go out too fast. The energy of the crowd at the start is exciting, but if you burn all your energy in that first half mile, you will pay for it in the last mile and a half. Instead let people pass you in the beginning, as everyone is just working to break out of the crowd. Once the crowd is thinned out, work on picking up your pace, while keeping it comfortable. Aim for a negative split (running the second half faster than the first half). You will be passing all the runners that went out too fast in the beginning.

~Finish STRONG!! My husband always tells me "if you aren't going to sprint the finish, why even show up?" I have to say he is so right. No matter how my race is going, the approach to the finish is encouraging with the cheering spectators, I can always find some deep reserve of energy to sprint my hardest for the last stretch and pass one or more the runners directly infront of me. It does a lot to boost the "race feeling" of the event.

~Have Fun!

Thank you for the great advice! I actually won't get to run Saturday, as we will be in Atlanta all day, but I'll get up at 5 tomorrow and go for a morning run. However, there's a difference between 5 and 8, so it'll still be hard to judge. :/
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I would try a morning run, eating and not eating to see what you prefer. Eat your normal breakfast foods, nothing new. Maybe smaller amount. You don't need special food or drink prior to a 5k. Don't wear anything new either, wear what you are used to and comfortable in based on the forecast.
  • iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Some really great advice has been given! Congrats and signing up for your first one... I did my first 5k last year and I'm hooked. I've run 3 already this year and have 3 more on schedule, and a 10k.
    I have invested in some 'tech wear/wicking clothing' that I run in. Fila is the brand I like most. Kohls usually has them on sale. I do have a pair of running shorts, but find myself more comfy in capri length. A good pair of running shoes that have been professionally fitted is a must. I do not run with music as I want to be able to hear if anything happens around me.
    I will hydrate really well the week leading up to the 5k. That morning I may drink a little water, but not much.. and maybe have a protein bar. I have also discovered 'energy chews' (stingers is the brand I like best)... I will gulp a pack right before the start and they give a good burst of energy. Good luck!
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know you don't have a lot of time left before the race, but I too would recommend trying to get an early morning run or runs in since your race will be in the morning. That way, you can see what might work for eating prior to the run if you'd like to get some fuel in you and just generally how you'll feel in doing a run in the morning. I usually get up early before races and eat something that has carbs and protein but not a lot of fiber...so what I often have (usually about 2 hours before start of race) is some yogurt and Special K (which is a cereal I don't normally eat because it's so light)....sometimes also a banana. I tend to do the longer races - 10 miles and I've done two half marathons - so definitely need the fuel before the race. Also second the recommendations on just wearing what you are used to wearing for socks, shoes, and clothing and to NOT overdress...it stinks to get way overheated during a race. Good Luck!
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the race and Good Luck. Like everyone else has said wear what you are comfortable in. I found that longer shorts worked for me. I went through the C25K and they gave us a shirt to wear so that was easy. I cannot eat before any type of work out so I ate nothing the day of the race, but made sure I did when it was over. There were water stations along the way and people handing it out so I did not have that worry. I had my ipod with me but got so caught up in the crowd and the other runners that I turned it off. Be sure to check the weather and have fun.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    As has been mentioned, start your hydration a day or so in advance. Not so very critical for a 5k but it’s what you’ll want to do for some longer distances. Test your pre-race nutrition/energy routine for a few days. Get up, eat and drink then go for a nice jog. How do you feel? Do you need to use the facilities? No worse feeling than to getting to your position in at the start line, finger on the button of your stop watch, race director raises the gun and that feeling comes over you – Hey, I have to poop! Since this is your first race, I would say no to the phone and music. This will be a great experience for you. Just soak it up! Concentrate on the runner in front of you, pass them and concentrate on the next, and so on. As for what to wear – easy – nothing new! If it worked for you during training, it will work on race day. Break in new shoes, shorts and such during your training. Road ID is a must (my opinion). Yeah, the emergency contact info on the bib is great, but most races have EMTs on the course or on stand-by and they’ll look for it. Most important, have fun. If it isn’t fun you might not want to do it again. Good luck!