under but not hungry?

Options
I'm 800 calories under for the day but I'm not hungry. Will it hurt my loss?

Replies

• Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good job staying under. When you complete your diary, it will tell you that you are eating too few calories, and your body will go into starvation mode. Try t eat a little more, or snack healthy. Good luck with this.
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    bump
  • fourbcrew
    fourbcrew Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow what do you eat ? I'm a nightshift workers and needs some tips on eating. Thanks!!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    are you 800 below with or without your exercise. with my exercise im under 800 or so each day because i am exercise a lot. if with exercise i wouldnt worry, if without then you should eat something healthy, like some celery sticks with peanut butter, that has extra calories.
  • trixieflow
    trixieflow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    that just happened to me yesterday and today i totally made up for it!
    are you that much under your goal regularly?
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster- if you are not exercising, you should try to get closer to your calories. If you are under 800 calories because you exercised, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

But to answer your question- yes, it will hinder your weight loss when your body goes into starvation mode.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    If you're that far under eat a handful of nuts or something.. :bigsmile:
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I am 500 under today and I feel like I was eating all day long and I am just not hungry. It's ok for today but I will not do it everyday.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Every book I read says the same thing: Eat the cals you need to get through the day and the days you exercise you eat those cals as well or you go into "starvation mode". Your body believes that the repeated underage of calories is a trend and defends itself by storing fat and cutting down on energy usage. When you start feeling tired all the time and you aren't losing or even gaining a little, you are in starvation mode. Only way out is to eat over your necessary for a week or so. To stay out eat your exercise carbs and once a week have a cheat day where you eat the one or two things that you cut down on or cut out. You also avoid craving binges this way. To back this up: Bing search -- Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto
  • runningneo122
    Options
    I was under by 440 today and wasn't hungry so I made a whey protein drink (chocolate for that craving) with half water half 2% milk and ate 3 snickerdoodles. I just baked them yesterday. 37 cals over.
  • jhines6927
    jhines6927 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I had a granola bar for breakfast = 90... a can of tuna for lunch = 120 and a cup of cheerios for dinner = a daily total of 447
  • jhines6927
    jhines6927 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    oh and i burned 84
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    One day won't typically hurt a lot, but if this is a trend, it will start to hurt your loss. When you're exercising, your body is trying to build muscle. It can't do that without fuel. You want to build muscle so that you burn more calories.

I have found I often have trouble meeting my cals too, especially on exercise days. I seem to be LESS hungry than before - But I try to be within a couple hundred and focus on meeting my protein and fat goals for the day.

Depends a lot on your height, etc, but being that far under your cals for the day with a relatively low exercise burn is pretty extreme. As others said, I'd try to add some protein (nuts, yogurt, etc) and tomorrow add just a little bit to each meal. Like have some fruit with breakfast. Add a veggie or some whole grains to lunch. Add veggies and protein to dinner.
  • Hannastyrbjorn
    Options
    thanks guys! I had a granola bar for breakfast = 90... a can of tuna for lunch = 120 and a cup of cheerios for dinner = a daily total of 447

That doesnt seem like the most healthy way to lose weight. I have no clue how american food habits look like (just know that good food is extremly expensive in grocery stores in at least NYC) but i do know that to succeed you should try to stick to eating varied and enough kcals so your body can use the energy. The goal isnt to stay alive its to live!
    Good luck!
  • runningneo122
    Options
    That is waaaaay too few calories for a woman to live on healthily.(Google Karen Carpenter) Do yourself a favor and fill out the goals portion and set it at two pounds a week. Follow the direction of the food diary in that you input the foods you eat and the exercise calories you burn(BTW the calculator is high so adjust your exercise times down by abt. 30%) and EAT ALL THE CALORIES. Eating way under to lose weight will only work short term. Your body will sense the trend and slow your metabolism, start storing fat, and here's the biggie--- give you less energy to burn so you feel tired all the time and you start GAINING WEIGHT. If you want to read about this get this book: Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle by Tom Venuto. Best book I've found about healthy weight loss.