surprisingly hard nsv

Options
wannabe1959
wannabe1959 Posts: 80 Member
I cleaned out my closet. It was really hard to get rid of the size 14, 16, 18, and 20's. I have, no, had them all. I guess they felt like security blanket. I was really surprised how hard it was. I kept arguing with myself "but you won't have anything to wear", "but you can't wear these anyway, they are WAY TO BIG!". I don't ever want to go back there, so out they went. Bye bye to the assurance that if I gain the weight back I have something to wear. I just insured the weight won't come back!

Replies

• greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I love throwing away my fat clothes. It feels so freeing. I can see how that feeling would be frightening, though. Just breathe, and enjoy your new, smaller clothes. Sounds like you got this. :drinker:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I totally understand...I am still finding stuff in large and xl and size 10-16 jeans, bras etc that I thought eh it will be fine...

They aren't.

I just keep a basket in my closet and everytime I run into something like that....I put it on..realize I am not that size anymore in it goes...

Congrats...
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    My next size down jeans have just fallen off me - I do have nothing to wear now and am resisting buying more as I want to drop another 2 sizes at least. I do still have some too small clothes n my wardrobe - here's hoping I get into them soon before I'm naked!! I ma determined to throw away the big clothes as I go down but you're right OP - it is hard.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love giving away my fat clothes!
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I cleaned out my closet. It was really hard to get rid of the size 14, 16, 18, and 20's. I have, no, had them all. I guess they felt like security blanket. I was really surprised how hard it was. I kept arguing with myself "but you won't have anything to wear", "but you can't wear these anyway, they are WAY TO BIG!". I don't ever want to go back there, so out they went. Bye bye to the assurance that if I gain the weight back I have something to wear. I just insured the weight won't come back!

I keep having this same problem. These are the conversations I've been having with myself:

"Oh no... if I get rid of these, I have no pants! And all I'll have to wear to work is dresses and skirts!" Never mind that you can't wear those pants because they are dangerously close to falling off and don't even have belt loops. And you've been wearing the dresses and skirts anyway.

"But I love this dress. It always made me look good." Except that now it looks like you're wearing a hand-me-down you're expected to grow into sometime next year or so. It's just that when you were bigger, it was one of those outfits that you knew looked nice on you and didn't make you look like a dowdy slob. Now it's so big on you... it makes you look like a dowdy slob.

"But this is a good/expensive jacket and if I give it away I don't have a ski jacket". Doesn't matter if it's 3 sizes too big and doesn't actually do it's job. Plus it's May and you won't even need a ski jacket until December at the earliest, and by then it may be 4-5 sizes too big and REALLY not do it's job.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I was the same, never liked to throw away my bigger clothes as I was worried I would need them again. This time round it has been different I have enjoyed getting rid of them as I know this time it's for good. If I feel my clothes start to get tighter now I don't go out and buy bigger ones I reign things in and stay in my smaller clothes. The fact that you have taken this step shows that you are serious this time :drinker:
  • ktloo
    ktloo Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    congrats! and I completely understand! I had finally found a style that I looked and felt good in, now they don't fit but I cant seem to part with them because they *used* to make me look good even if they look terrible now.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    One of the issues I have is I no longer know what does suit me - I got so used to wearing something because it wasn't actually too awful and it fitted!! Now my fashion sense is very out of date and I have no idea what i should be wearing!
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The first time It was so very hard - I finally broke down when I was a size 16 and it was finally OK to get rid of the 24/26/28/30 size clothes and I donated them all

At size 8-10, I got rid of the 14/16 stuff and the left over bigger clothes that I had regulated to the PJ pile because I refused to buy new pajamas

There is a bag in the garage for when I run across clothes that it would just be silly to keep at this point and I really do need to do another closet and dresser purge soon but at least each time the amount of clothes goes down

This was the first overhaul...

1533870_10202723608748600_1221027593_n.jpg

After the first time it just gets easier - and you develop a whole new relationship with clothes

good luck and continued success
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    as a previous poster stated, at first it was difficult but then it became fun! I, also, have not gotten rid of my pj's. they are HUGE on me! lol! but they work for sleepwear. I did purchase one that fits for when I visit the fam / sleepovers, so I don't look slovenly and my bewbs don't hang out and my pj bottoms don't fall down!

Congrats girl!
    :flowerforyou:
  • puddingsteel
    puddingsteel Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you're"squirrelly" about tossing or giving away your nicer clothes that no longer fit you can always try a consignment shop. Heck you might make enough from them to pay for part of your gym membership or a few containers of protein powder! Or buy some "new to you" clothes that fit...
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    During the course of my new life style change in the last two years I have gotten rid of 8 bags of clothes. I refuse to go back! I didn't work this hard to go back. I felt the same way, what will I wear, lucky we have a Good Will near by cause who can afford a new clothes with every inches and lbs loss.....
  • LaLaLovely76
    LaLaLovely76 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

I keep having this same problem. These are the conversations I've been having with myself:

"Oh no... if I get rid of these, I have no pants! And all I'll have to wear to work is dresses and skirts!" Never mind that you can't wear those pants because they are dangerously close to falling off and don't even have belt loops. And you've been wearing the dresses and skirts anyway.

"But I love this dress. It always made me look good." Except that now it looks like you're wearing a hand-me-down you're expected to grow into sometime next year or so. It's just that when you were bigger, it was one of those outfits that you knew looked nice on you and didn't make you look like a dowdy slob. Now it's so big on you... it makes you look like a dowdy slob.

"But this is a good/expensive jacket and if I give it away I don't have a ski jacket". Doesn't matter if it's 3 sizes too big and doesn't actually do it's job. Plus it's May and you won't even need a ski jacket until December at the earliest, and by then it may be 4-5 sizes too big and REALLY not do it's job.

I understand. I've been having convos like that myself. And getting rid of them is tough. You wouldn't think it would be, but it is. "Just in case..." I've done this before....shed 35 pounds only to gain it all back in 3-5 months.

But I must tell myself that It's different this time. It really is. I'm doing it the right way. It's not a fad. And I'm determined NOT to get back in my "fat clothes"

Congrats ladies....we can do this!!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I'm down 1-2 sizes but not yet so far that I can get rid of lots of clothes, but when the time comes I will. I have saved one pair of my biggest jeans and my biggest belt; those are for the photos later on.
  • kezzola
    kezzola Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've got 6 large plastic tubs of clothes that are too big in the garage but I'm just not brave enough to get rid of them. I keep telling myself that if I still haven't put any weight back on in 12 months time I'll get rid of them all. But I still have another 12 kilos to lose.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    My next size down jeans have just fallen off me - I do have nothing to wear now and am resisting buying more as I want to drop another 2 sizes at least. I do still have some too small clothes n my wardrobe - here's hoping I get into them soon before I'm naked!! I ma determined to throw away the big clothes as I go down but you're right OP - it is hard.

Maybe take the nicer things to the thrift shop and while you're there, buy some things in a transitional size at a cheap price?

I can't wait to be able to start getting rid of big clothes. My closet is stuffed because there are all the sizes in there that I wore as I got increasingly heavy. There will be no problem having things to wear as I get smaller. I occasionally try things on, but so far only one pair of jeans has moved into the "clothes that fit" section. For some reason, my weight is coming off my hips, but not my waist. Must be a old lady thing, but it means I still can't wear a smaller size even though my pants are now baggy in the butt area. Someday...
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    ^^That's kind of my thing: I've got lots of stuff to wear as my weight goes down.
  • lechesucio
    lechesucio Posts: 29 Member
    Options

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! This is still something I struggle with, but it feels so good to replace the bigger sizes with smaller ones!!!! I tend to buy a lot of dresses (A-line) and skirts because they're easier to take in myself so I don't have to keep buying clothes!
  • minimalistmom
    minimalistmom Posts: 137
    Options
    Congrats! For ever piece you throw out, is one more new piece you can buy.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I hear ya.

I purposely got rid of a lot of my cold weather clothes because I'm determined not to still be that size next November.

I do 2 things to psyche myself.

1) Donate to charity. Someone else without a lot of cash can have decent quality clothes and shoes.

2) Tell myself they are way out of style. They are so far behind the fashions, it would be like wearing clown clothes. I tend to buy classic/timeless styles so this is kind of a lie but some blouses, definitely true.

The side effect of a less crowded closet is a nice bonus.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!