Special K Protein Bars?

Options
I have major issues with having to get up in the morning and make a breakfast for myself. Usually I need something I can just grab and run out the door with, which I realize isn't ideal, but....

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these special K protein bars? I ate one the other day and it was pretty good and much more filling than other bars I've eaten.

But are they any good for me?

If the answer is "no", does anyone have any other grab and go breakfast ideas for me?

Replies

• MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    Hi
    They should be okay if the sugar isn't too high. Alot of protien bars are and you need to check the label. Under 10g is okay and under 5g is excellent (per 100g that is, not per serve).
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm a total grazer,
    so I usually grab a turkey peperette, a mini babybel light, an apple or orange, a half a glass of milk and a half an ounce of almonds.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I grab these when I wake up early to go to the gym and have one on my way. They are good fillers but have quite a bit of sugar (15g or so). I have shakes a lot also. I do about a cup of milk (2%), about 1/2 cup of fruits (fresh or frozen), greek yogurt (about 2 tablespoons), and protein powder. It fast and filling. I switch it up with the fruit, flavored yogurt, and sometimes add dry oats as well.
  • bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    I grab these when I wake up early to go to the gym and have one on my way. They are good fillers but have quite a bit of sugar (15g or so). I have shakes a lot also. I do about a cup of milk (2%), about 1/2 cup of fruits (fresh or frozen), greek yogurt (about 2 tablespoons), and protein powder. It fast and filling. I switch it up with the fruit, flavored yogurt, and sometimes add dry oats as well.

Shakes are awesome... I have one I call Protein Pina Colada (almond milk, pineapple, coconut, a bit of the tropical source yogurt, protein powder and fibre :D)
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Here is a related article to the Special K products:

http://www.answerfitness.com/120/special-k-diet-work/

Depending on what flavor bar you buy, there are around 11 g of sugar per bar, which is high. However, I eat one every day for my 2:00 snack and it holds me over until dinner, which is when I am normally the hungriest. I would say it is better for me to consume 11 g of sugar rather than eat a donut or grab a bag of chips.

Just food for thought... =)
  • janet6567
    janet6567 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The protein/fruit shakes are really good and good for you and filling. I use frozen (unsweetened) fruits: strawberries, mango, peaches, or cherries,1 cup milk (2%),1/2 cup low fat yogurt and two scoops of soy protein powder. Blend everything in the blender and pour into a covered container and out the door you go. The soy was recommended by my doctor for aid in relieving hot flashes since I didn't want to take HRT drugs. It really helped with the "flashing" too!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I'd go with something lower in sugar and all natural. But that's just me.
  • EaglesFan521
    EaglesFan521 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I usually just get some cherrios in a bag and eat that, cause its still healthy and even tastes good without milk! I also try to grab a piece of fruit too
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas guys. The hardest part about this for me is definitely figuring out what I SHOULD and SHOULDN'T eat. Ahh. And it totally bums me out that I'm allergic to apples since people seem to suggest them so often. :(

But the shakes sound like a good idea -- I could even save cleaning the blender 'til I get home haha. :p
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm totally a grab and go breakfast eater but found certain foods that aren't that long to make... Lately I've been making/preparing more the night before so I have more options in the morning. Prepackaged fruit, a yogurt & pre-measured Go Lean cereal, boiled egg, cottage cheese & blueberries. With these I can throw a couple slices of toast in the toaster and 2 slices in the microwave for 1 minute. And I'm out the door. Nutrigrain Eggo Waffles. Last night I scrambled up some eggbeaters and then just threw them in the microwave for 45 seconds this morning. Tasted as if I'd just made them this morning.
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    Although they do have more sugar than I would normally eat, I do keep a couple of them in my car and my purse for days when I forgot a snack or just get really need something! I like them a lot, and like another poster said, its a lot better than grabbing a donut, or in my case, a candy bar!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas guys. The hardest part about this for me is definitely figuring out what I SHOULD and SHOULDN'T eat. Ahh. And it totally bums me out that I'm allergic to apples since people seem to suggest them so often. :(

But the shakes sound like a good idea -- I could even save cleaning the blender 'til I get home haha. :p

I have a hamilton beach personal blender and it comes with a "cup" lid so that you can blend throw the cup lid on and take it with you.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options

I have a hamilton beach personal blender and it comes with a "cup" lid so that you can blend throw the cup lid on and take it with you.

Wow! That sounds perfect. I think I'll pick one up this weekend.
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    I really like the think thin bars from trader joes and balance bars (which you can find anywere). I usually grab them on the way to class because they are fast and eay to eat. Both are really good they have a high amount of protein (depending on the type/flavor), have a decent amount of carbs, meaning not a lot at all, and are most importantly really good! The balance bars do tend to have more sugar then the think thin bars but I found that both are satisfying and are healthier then other options that I may eat.

I hope this helps! :)
  • nmpresto
    nmpresto Posts: 157
    Options
    I really like the think thin bars from trader joes and balance bars (which you can find anywere). I usually grab them on the way to class because they are fast and eay to eat. Both are really good they have a high amount of protein (depending on the type/flavor), have a decent amount of carbs, meaning not a lot at all, and are most importantly really good! The balance bars do tend to have more sugar then the think thin bars but I found that both are satisfying and are healthier then other options that I may eat.

I LOVE Think Thin bars! I usually think protein bars taste disgusting but these ones are delicious!
  • KnightOwl
    Options
    I would stay away from the Special K Bars... SO MUCH SUGAR and chemicals! Try a Larabar...they're all natural (made with only fruits and nuts) and come in so many delicious flavors (cherry pie, peanut butter cookie, cashew cookie). They are a great on the go food that keep me satisfied.
  • prettyinpink246
    Options
    I know, some bars you have to get used to eating but I seriously wanted another after I finished my first! I prefer think thin bars but it just depends on how lazy I am with going to the store to get them :)
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Try making your own protein bars then you know exactly what goes in it so it will be much less sugar and more natural. Just do a quick google search, they usually involve natural peanut butter, oats and protein powder of course.

You can make a dozen or so in advance wrap them in saran wrap and then now you have almost 2 weeks’ worth of breakfasts to grab and go right out of your refrigerator.

Also, making your own is sooooooooooooooo much cheaper! Most protein bars are $3-4, that’s nuts!! I just bought 2, 5lb buckets of whey protein for <$30 each, that’s 69 servings so about 43 cents a serving (+ oats and pb will = about 75 cents a serving)
  • prettyinpink246
    Options

I LOVE Think Thin bars! I usually think protein bars taste disgusting but these ones are delicious!

I know, some bars you have to get used to eating but I seriously wanted another after I finished my first! I prefer think thin bars but it just depends on how lazy I am with going to the store to get them :)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I like Larabars too - but that may be because my name is Lara.... :bigsmile: