half marathon training!

Options
erin6989
erin6989 Posts: 29 Member
I'm almost ready! I plan on following the a Hal Higdon training plan for my first half marathon in October. It suggests that you should be running 15-20 miles a week in order to start this training plan. For the past 5 weeks I have been running 3x/week and just generally improving my pace, endurance and total distance. I'm still walking a few times per run but yesterday I ran 6 miles in 66 minutes, so I'm pretty excited!

This week I will finally break through the 15 mile threshold! I'm not going to start the official training plan until the end of June, so there is plenty of time to acclimate my body but I am SO motivated!

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yay!! You sound like you'll be ready to tackle the training plan! Personally, I'd add one more day per week to your running schedule so you can spread the 15-20 miles out a little more evenly (I'm running 15-20/week now, over 4-5 days), but other than that, you sound ready to go! Good luck!
  • JENNIENS
    JENNIENS Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I haven't ran in MONTHS so starting over again! i ran a mile yesterday! LOL sounds pathetic! But it's a start! Good luck training i'm working up to a good 3miles so i can start my actual half marathon training in a few months! :)
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I am just finishing up training for my first half- marathon (its this Sunday!) So good luck!!

Biggest advice- listen to your body!! There is such a thing as over training and I suffered from that. I had to take some time off of running, but it has helped me immensely! Also for your long runs- I have read that it is more important to get the miles in, even if it means stopping and walking a bit.

Congrats and good luck!
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That sounds great. You will definitely be prepared.
  • tropicaltiger
    tropicaltiger Posts: 254
    Options
    that is awesome-besides weight trainning I love to run-I will be running in aug,,and I am truly excited
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    your post is awesome
    Stay patient and follow the plan.

you get my vote, you are gunna kill the half when the time comes!
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Kill it!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I'll be running my first half in December! I plan to start officially training in September. Right now I can run 5k or 10k no problem (little walking last time I ran a 10k though). Let us know how it goes!
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thats where I started out at running- 2 days during the week and one on the weekend. As I got closer, and I started to love it more, I added another day in! Did my first half in April and my 2nd in May. Planning to keep my half marathon fitness up so that I can just jump back in October, so I am doing 10 miles almost every weekend that I can.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you got it down pat. And you have the most important ingredient: the passion for running. Good luck!!
  • julie_emma1
    julie_emma1 Posts: 146
    Options
    Sounds great! Best of luck with your training!!! And I agree about adding one more day of running :)