How to make running less miserable

Options
2»

Replies

• TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest that you try and finish C25K first before you try something else.

The reason for this is that most of us runners have come to understand that the first 10/15 mins are known at the toxic 10 and many of us struggle for the first mile. I can run 5-7 miles easily now but still struggle for the first 20 mins and have learnt that once I once i get past that I'll make a decision whether to carry on or not.

If you are still struggling and hating it after that please try something else that you will enjoy as at the end of the day the most important aspect is to do something you love.

I second that, first mile or two is the hardest.

I've done 2 Half Marathons now and during both I spent the first two miles thinking "what have I DONE signing up for this madness??" and then loving the remaining 11 (well.. remaining 9 and then just running on pure "I'm gonna do this" stubbornness).

Stick with the programme and then re-evaluate. Also, take joy in small victories; like improving the longest time you've run in one go, even if it's just by seconds or running those 10 minutes and noticing you got 10 yards further than you did last time.

If after the programme you decide it's really not for you then ditch it and find a cardio exercise you enjoy instead. If you hate doing it you'll find excuses not to do it (unless you have iron determination), whereas if you find something you enjoy (and the list of things to try is endless: Swim/Cycle/aerobics/Zumba...) you'll be so much more likely to grab your gym bag and go and do it even if it's 7pm in December and pouring down with rain.
  • MellMo1971
    MellMo1971 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So both ppl above are right but remember running is good for you. So if your running less than 15mins right now your in the what I would call the crawl phase. You know the crawl, walk, and RUN phase. so running is tough to get used to and like but it will come. In my own opinion I would say you don't run far enough to like it cause your still building. I would say get a app like I prefer RUNKEEPER its free and tracks everything for you. If you get it or have it add me kt2007. It will give you all the data you need to see what area you are getting better at. Please don't give up on running and find a group to get with. Also if you want add me would like. By no way am I pro runner or coach.

I'd be careful making the blanket statement "running is good for you". Glad you enjoy it, but it isn't for everyone. It can lead to overuse injuries, stress fractures, etc. I think you need to examine your fitness goals, and choose activities that you really enjoy to reach those goals. I think beginning running is popular right now with all the various social/entertaining 5Ks out there, but doesn't mean it may be right for you.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I started loving running more when I:

- slowed down
    -found new routes
    -tried new things (trails, for example)
    -found a running group
    -experimented with low tech running (leaving all the gadgets at home)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    However, I find that even though I can run 8-10 straight minutes now, it's still miserable!

What do you find miserable about it?

Id echo the points upthread about finishing the programme. I did an 11K easy pace session last night, but my first 3K were hard work as I was under fueled and had little energy.

Similarly, in some areas I can get a bit bored but much prefer trails and forestry.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    It depends where you're running. Running on a treadmill is misery for me. Running in the evening is my favourite. I love changing scenery. I also prefer company. Someone to celebrate my accomplishments and to encourage me when I'm having a bad run.

Ultimately, if it makes you miserable, find something that doesn't.
  • Allyvegan
    Allyvegan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Slow your pace down, and see how you feel after those 8 minutes. Like, quite a bit slower than you think you 'should' be going. My first few minutes are at a pace that I think some people would be quick walking, and then I slowly increase (but still at a slower pace). SO much more enjoyable for me, and I can go for much longer while loving it! Much lower stress on the body, as well.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm a good runner. I'm built to run. My Martial Arts instructors have discovered this and now warm us up with running to watch me outrun all the guys and possibly to give me a bit of a hard time (we all have a weird sense of humor) and hear me whine about having to run.

I'd give it a shot, get decent at running, then ditch it if I still didn't like it for something else.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It depends where you're running. Running on a treadmill is misery for me. Running in the evening is my favourite. I love changing scenery. I also prefer company. Someone to celebrate my accomplishments and to encourage me when I'm having a bad run.

Ultimately, if it makes you miserable, find something that doesn't.

OMG! This!!! I switched from treadmill running to night road running when I started working graves. It got even better when it was night running with dog (my only running companions :3 ) It changed the mindset for me, and it's a different feel entirely than the treadmill. It's so much easier to control pacing, and eventually I got better at engaging different groups of leg muscles to increase endurance when fatigue set in.

Also, there's not shame in running/walking intervals if you can't run continuously. Your body will get sooo much quicker at recovery during short walking intervals until you have the energy to get up to speed again. It helps a lot building cardio endurance and eventually you can recover while running between faster and slower paces without the walking intervals. A really good setlist on an mp3 player helps, and not running during the hottest, sunniest hours of the day helps.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Agree with people regarding the 'toxic 20', I really dislike running for the first 3miles (I have given up doing 5k's as it takes me that long to warm up and hit a stride). I also don't like the treadmill, my favourite is heading up the forest with the dog, once I get over that initial 3miles and start to hit my stride I enjoy it much more, I zone out and just run, I actually prefer running on my own but I will still run with other people if they want to run with me.
    I'm quite structured in my runs, I know what distance I want to do and what I want to incorporate in the run (tempo runs, hill sprints (these are another think you have to learn to like))!!!
  • RenFairFan
    RenFairFan Posts: 3
    Options
    I tried for months to be a "runner'...I hate it...now I cycle and do a bit of swimming here and there and I love it. If you want to do the 10K, that's cool but I highly recommend you find something you actually enjoy doing as you will be far more likely to be consistent and stick with it.

ETA, I'll do some mud runs here and there for fun...but that's more about the mud and obstacles for me...I pretty much loath straight up running.

That above. I tried and I tried man, I ran well over 2,000 miles trying to make myself like it. Now I swim and bicycle, much happier.
  • nicxox
    nicxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Keep up the hard work! It took me a while to build up to running 10 mins straight so I know what an acheivement that is :). I can now run 30 mins(at a push), and I find that I struggle for the first 5 minutes or so, but then so get into it and love my time running... So you may find that as your running improves, you'll find it more enjoyable..

I also used to listen to music, but I too didn't find it distracting enough and I'd get quite bored... instead I found a load of podcasts that I liked and listen to them while I work out instead.

Good luck with your future runs, I hope it works out for you :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running, but when I get tired or have to do a portion of a route I hate (see also: hills of any sort) I'll do all sorts of things to distract myself: mouth the words to the song I'm listening to, think of what I need to get at the grocery store, count in other languages, etc; anything to take my mind off th suckitude. I also run outside 99% of the time so I have things to look at to keep my mind from focusing on what hurts/how hard running can be/etc. I'd encourage you to finish the C25K program, and if you still are miserable running by the end, try something else. Running isn't for everyone, and you can take your C25K-acquired running fitness and apply it to a different activity you like better :)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Do you have any advice for me so that I'm not counting down every single second?

yes. run on a beach in Maui. running will be much less miserable there.

:tongue:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    The first mile is always the hardest. A lot of runners will tell you that. I find that once I get past that first mile, I get into my groove and it just happens. Building your stamina when running takes time. It isn't going to happen overnight, but you will get there if you keep at it.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming that since you're counting down every single second that you're running inside? If so get thine butt outside! You won't have a timer to stare at as you run and you're forced to go the distance because you have to get back to where you started.

With that said if you still find running to be really super miserable then don't do it. Why force yourself to do something that you don't like and will more than likely stop doing? Find something you enjoy and do that.
  • Annalisa_87
    Annalisa_87 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Music or running with a buddy. personally I like running to musical. It can keep you motivated. I even go as far as creating a custom playlist, so more inspirational songs play towards the end of my run, when I'm feeling tired.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I think running is something you either love or you don't. I don't think you can force yourself to enjoy it more.
    I started the C25K 7 weeks ago too and from the first run i loved it.

I would recommend looking into an exercise you enjoy and look forward to doing. But what ever you do, good luck:D

Also congratulations on running 10 minutes straight! that was a huge achievement for me and i hope it was for you too!
    I think many people hate running at first because it's hard when you first start. I grew to like it more as I got better at it. Granted that took about 6 months.
  • hoppa321
    hoppa321 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I recommend finishing C25K and running a race. Racing and feeling competitive is what makes me love running. You may find the further you go the less miserable it is ,for me I feel the endorphins kick in at mile 4 and at mile 9, so I love to run further distances. But if after all that you still don't love it, find another cardio activity.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I don't like running.

I run right now twice a week or so as part of my cardio work with my lifting split. I really love lifting. However it just doesn't make sense to me to haul my *kitten* to the gym on a day when I don't have lifts and I can just go outside and bang out a 30 minute run instead. Like I'm going to go there to spend half an hour on some machine? Blah. I am getting better at the running, and it's not too bad if I'm only doing it a couple times a week. I have to listen to music - and it has to have a really hard / driving beat. Rap and hard rock do it for me. Also, if i try to run too often I devlop shin splints. The other thing - if I have to run on a treadmill - I do sprints. I do 30 seconds on at a high speed, and step to the rails for 30 seconds. It makes the time go a LOT faster, although it also ups the intensity.