HELP - No idea what running shoes to buy!?

Options
kwb87
kwb87 Posts: 70 Member
I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on running shoes? I have no idea where to start, my current shoes are wearing fast as I'm running more often.

Some info (I'm not sure what is relavent): I'm female, 5ft5 and 62kilos. I run mostly on a treadmill around twice a week for 30 minutes a time but once a week I also do my local 5km park run along concrete paths so that's around 90 minutes of running a week. I did the water footprint on paper test thing and my foot print looks 'normal'. My budget is up to around £70 but of course I'm looking for good value.

Can anyone recommend any styles or brands?

Thanks a lot.

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You really need to go to a running store and get fitted. What works for me, might not work for you. I run in Sauconys. Other people are going to swear by Brooks, but if I followed their advice I'd be in rough shape because Brooks don't fit my feet right.
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The problem with recommending particular styles or brands is that everybody really is unique.
    You might be a slight overpronator, or underpronator, or need neutral shoes, there's no way to know until you get professionally fitted. Go to a local running store that carries a lot of different brands and have them do a gait analysis. I can absolutely recommend that. I got fitted once and have bought the same shoes ever since.

Personally, i'm a Brooks girl (the Adrenaline GTS 13 model is amazing!), but I do run on trails a lot and need that little bit of extra support. you might want to look into something lighter if you're mostly running on a treadmill.

:)
  • kwb87
    Options
    Thanks a lot ladies! That's really helpful, I wasn't sure if it was worth going to get fitted for a pair but you've both persuaded me :) It would be nice to be confident knowing I have a pair that are professionally recommended.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Every running store I know of locally does free fittings...so that expert advice is definitely worth the "price". :wink:
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Definitely get fitted. I went to my local running store and they recommended Saucony for me as I over pronate, I have wide feet and I have plantar faciitis (fallen arches). I couldn't afford to buy them at their store, but I found last year's model on Zappos for a lot less money (the sales rep recommended this to me when I told her that my husband would have a fit if he found out I spent $150 for shoes).
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I went to a running store to get fitted at first but everything on me is pretty normal, so I just buy my shoes online now. Because I am heavy, I stick to lots of cushioning. I buy New Balance right now, but haven't run in about 2 years.

Edit: I also get mine a little larger, cause when I do run my feet swell a bit. Not too large, but just don't buy something that feels snug when you first put them on. If you do distance, your feet do swell but don't go so large that they will move when you put them on. For me, I tried on about 5 brands all the same size and picked the one that was snug but had room inside if that makes sense.
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    Just another word of advice: getting fitted is great and all, and if you get the chance, definitely go and do that. but don't BLINDLY trust them. It's like with internet dating... they may look perfect for you on paper, but may just not be an ideal match in real life (what a dumb comparison, but I just had to)

What I'm trying to say is: make sure YOU feel absolutely comfortable with your running shoes. The first time I got fitted they told me I was a slight over pronator and needed extra stability.. so they put me into a pair of Brooks PLUS gave me additional insoles... which basically canceled each other out, and I ended up not being able to run for two weeks because it started to hurt during my longer runs.

So yeah. Go get that analysis though! ;-)
  • kwb87
    Options
    Just another word of advice: getting fitted is great and all, and if you get the chance, definitely go and do that. but don't BLINDLY trust them. It's like with internet dating... they may look perfect for you on paper, but may just not be an ideal match in real life (what a dumb comparison, but I just had to)

What I'm trying to say is: make sure YOU feel absolutely comfortable with your running shoes. The first time I got fitted they told me I was a slight over pronator and needed extra stability.. so they put me into a pair of Brooks PLUS gave me additional insoles... which basically canceled each other out, and I ended up not being able to run for two weeks because it started to hurt during my longer runs.

So yeah. Go get that analysis though! ;-)

Thanks, great point. I'm the cautious think-about-type anyway, definitely not a spontaneous shopper especially when we're talking quite a bit of £££! I think the only thing putting me off up to now is the thought that the sales people will be pressuring me to buy but I can live with that, I'm the go away and think about it type :)

Great to hear other's input and experience so thanks everyone!
  • running4thehigh
    Options
    That's good! Don't let them pressure you! For me, running shoes are the only type of shoes I'm glad to spend those extra bucks on though. Especially if you're doing a lot of mileage, and don't just use them for any kind of workout every now and then, but exclusively for running. Having the right pair that really fits you is soooooo important.... since wrong ones can absolutely ruin your feet and/or negatively impact your running form and success.

I keep coming back to this hahaha sorry :)
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Another one for getting fitted in a Running store, I wear Brooks Vapour 11 for road running and Saloman Pro 3d Ultra 2 GTX for trail running (not a treadmill fan).
    Get fitted and watch the video they take in slow motion, my running store slow it right down and point out any bits where the achilles is bending or where I was pronating, the done the video barefoot first (make sure you shave your legs!!!) then took videos for all the shoes I tried on and we got it down to 2 pairs that I ran fine in and it was then personal choice (once you've been fitted once, you can get the next pair online a bit cheaper)