WHat do you buy at the grocery??

Options
Working on my grocery list and trying to think of things to add....am struggling a bit trying to figure out items to add besides the same old stuff....(you know the basics)and possibly some new ideas. Thought I would post and see if anyone had any suggestions and can maybe share some tips on what to add.....Let me know what your staples are please:)

Thanks!

Replies

• BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Lessee.....almond milk and bananas for my Shakeology, whole grain bread, turkey, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, mustard for my sammiches, raw almonds in the convenient single serving packages to snack on, apples or oranges or pears, sweet potatoes to cut up and bake as fries, those are my more common items. Breakfast and lunch are usually pretty standard for me. good luck :)
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You may just have to try something new. Look up on the net how to cook it and try it. I just recently tried beets and turnips and found that they are really good after hearing my family say how horrible they are.

Yes, sweet potato fries are AWESOME!
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoe fries. How do you prepare yours?
  • adellepuppy
    Options
    Salsa - Replaces salad dressing for next to no calories and adds peppers and onions to the salad
    Hummus - Good for a snack at 50 calories for 2 tablespoons
    Pita Chips or Baby Carrots for the hummus
    Soy Crisps - Add protein to your day and are basically tasteless unless you get flavored ones. So good for dipping (Salsa!). If you have a sweet tooth there are flavored ones like Brown Sugar and Cinnamon
    Laughing Cow Lite Cheese - the little circular box of wedges of soft, spreadable cheese. Good for the soy crisps or on an english muffing
    An assortment of exotic teas to keep your desire to taste something in check. If you like tea sweet, get Stevia for that.
    Egg Beaters. You can make the equal of a 4 egg omelet for like 60 calories and they DO taste like eggs.
  • thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much....my list is growing:)
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I'm not a veggie person but have found that I like more than I thought. Fresh is better than frozen but if you can't shop every couple of days frozen veggies and fruits are still nutritious. The less processing your food goes through B4 you cook it or eat it (fruit), the better for your weight loss and overall health. Think: What did this look like when it came out of the field? Stay as close to that as possible. I even bake my own bread in a bread machine. I can control the ingredients and keep out the preservatives. I freeze half the loaf and can eat the other half B4 it needs to go out for the birds. Check out allrecipes.com or do a Bing search for recipes.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    When I do them I peel the potatoes, slice them in the fries, drizzle with olive oil and salt and bake them in the oven until they look crispy. We always fight over them here.
  • SJSchwartz
    Options
    Have you tried Quinoa (sp?) yet? Pronounced Keen-wa. It's the perfect nutritious food I've been told. You can use it in place of rice in any dish.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    We get plenty of fresh vegetables, some frozen vegetables, some fruit (apples mainly), lean meats (mainly fish), hummus, low carb pita or lavash bread if you can find it...

When we decided to eat better our grocery bill definitely went upward, but it's totally worth it - I also have found some decent (non/semi perishable) foods on Netrition, too, that I can't find easily in the store..
  • d4sbwitu
    Options
    Well, I'll be honest, my staples are what got me to the weight I am now. But I will tell you a couple of ideas that I am trying now. Instead of chips and popcorn, I have bought a bag of pre-shredded coleslaw mix (no dressing). It's crunchy and sweet, and practically calorie free.

If you are a pasta fan, spaghetti squash really does work as a lower-calorie substitute. Of course, you still need to watch out for the sauces. I like to top it with diced tomatoes (canned or fresh) cooked until tender in their own juices with Italian herb seasoning and garlic. It isn't thick, but very flavorful. If you pureed the tomatoes after cooking, it would be more like Ragu, but I like mine chunky.

Of course, there are always the substitutions: Turkey bacon, 98% fat-free bologna, cheese made with 2%milk (I can't do fat free cheese yet), ground chicken and turkey instead of beef. One of my favorite lunches/dinners is beenie weenie made with 98% fat free franks (just watch portion size).