What is truth about eating times?

Options

Replies

• rubybrown145
    Options
    According to the "Diet Free Life" you should never go more than 3 hours without eating, and I did that for about 6 months and I did loose. The downside is that it's hard to keep up with the time when one is out and about or working. My take is that it did work, but it's hard work.
  • hospitablegirl
    hospitablegirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, timing does not affect anything. It's just caloric intake that matters. It also comes down to personal preference. For me, I feel I'm less likely to gorge myself at night if I follow a pre-set eating schedule. I plan on keeping this schedule long after I've entered maintenance, just to help me along.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I eat one big meal and 1-2 small snack size meals. It hasn't hurt me one bit. I prefer to save my calories for a satisfying dinner. It comes down to your hunger levels and what works for your schedule.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry.
  • bleigh76
    bleigh76 Posts: 2
    Options
    My doctor always told me that I must have 3 normal size meals a day and 1 small snack in between that way your body is craving anything by the time you get to your next meal. I was also told that you should heat within that first hour of waking up so your body doesn't try to store fat if you don't have anything within that hour.
  • NeesaDaly
    NeesaDaly Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't think it matter a jot. It's a cow's opinion, as our old Friend Joey would say. What matters is your total intake of food, not when it was injested.

There are times where it would be more (and less) beneficial and I do think you should always try to make things as easy for yourself as possible but I wouldn't stress because I've eaten a couple of carbs and it's dark out. If you feel that if you were to sit down at 8pm and crack open a pack of biscuits but just have two and then you'd stop then I don't see any point in moving biscuit time to 1pm instead just for that reason alone. However, if once the packet is open you won't be able to stop as you munch through the soaps then yeah, I'd avoid the biscuit tin at that hour.

But that's nothing to do with the time on the clock and everything to do with stopping at a couple of biccies instead of carrying on til you see the end of the pack. If you can do that after dark, go ahead. If you can't, don't.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Like everyone says.. if you eat one meal of 1800 per day or break it into 6 300 cal meals... it is basically the same.

But.. I have found that by not eating so much at every meal makes me eat slower because I need to "make it last".

Also... if I eat a huge meal I feel a lot more sluggish.

I would experiment and see how you feel.
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Timing is of no issue. All that matters is how many calories you consume total. You can eat every 20 minutes or one giant meal a day.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I agree with folks in the thread, there is nothing magic about spreading meals out, it's all about calorie deficit or not. The only thing I would add is that I try to time meals/snacks to help me with workouts. If I know I have a run coming after work I try to eat a protein bar and drink some water an hour or two prior to help my blood sugar level and not be full at run time. When you are operating at a deficit sometimes you feel weak which means your workout intensity will suffer. Meal timing can help mitigate that.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I agree with folks in the thread, there is nothing magic about spreading meals out, it's all about calorie deficit or not. The only thing I would add is that I try to time meals/snacks to help me with workouts. If I know I have a run coming after work I try to eat a protein bar and drink some water an hour or two prior to help my blood sugar level and not be full at run time. When you are operating at a deficit sometimes you feel weak which means your workout intensity will suffer. Meal timing can help mitigate that.

QFT - Very well said!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry.

Good answer! Me too. But I like to drink coffee and *kitten* too. That's why I've taken to using sugar free non-dairy flavored powdered creamer. Yeah, boring. I just need to quit coffee.
  • libertychoury
    libertychoury Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, I will modify what I wrote by saying that the only exception I would say is the post workout intake. I really like to have my protein shake after workouts.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    My doctor always told me that I must have 3 normal size meals a day and 1 small snack in between that way your body is craving anything by the time you get to your next meal. I was also told that you should heat within that first hour of waking up so your body doesn't try to store fat if you don't have anything within that hour.

Your doctor is wrong.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I am a health professional and one of the biggest reasons suggested to eat every 2-3 hours is just to try an stave off hunger so you are less likely to overeat. We tell diabetics this because it helps them maintain their sugar levels.

NYT had an interesting article that contradicts "conventional wisdom" about diabetic meal timing. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/15/a-meal-schedule-for-diabetes/

It says, given equal caloric intake, 2 big meals is better for diabetics than 6 small meals.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Your doctor is wrong.
    '

Haha! Wet coaster, you cracked me up!

I never do what I'm told. Doctors.....just like anuses, they all have opinions. And they always vary.

I like to listen to my body, I don't like to follow food/eating/exercise trends. I like food, but I don't obsess over it. I like exercise, but I don't obsess.....no, that's a lie....I'm kind of obsessing over weight lifting lately. I really like it. I may have to make some changes though. If it's true that time doesn't matter, then I need to save some calories for night time eating.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It helps me stick with my calories better if I eat 5 small meals during the day.

It's also shrank my stomach so that when I do have a cheat day/meal I literally cannot eat very much of whatever I'm indulging in.

For me it works. Don't care about if it is good for my metabolism or if it matters- it's what fits best.

*note: if I'm not hungry, then I don't eat and my calorie distribution isn't always even through my meals. But generally, I eat every 3 hours between 200-300 calories.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Well honestly there are only a couple big mistakes you can make. In my opinion.

1. Loading most of your calories into one meal. This will cause the big meal to make you deposit more fat and cause you to be ravenous through the rest of the day.

2. Eating less than 2 hours before you sleep. This will marginally impact weight loss.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options

1. Loading most of your calories into one meal. This will cause the big meal to make you deposit more fat and cause you to be ravenous through the rest of the day.

2. Eating less than 2 hours before you sleep. This will marginally impact weight loss.

Proof?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Way to speak for others.
  • Shakeshackgirl
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I will check it out. I think it is up to the individual which is why I said we suggest. Thanks again for the link!