Just starting out, looking for friends.

Options
ximenia
ximenia Posts: 62 Member
So, I'm 28 years old, 5'4 and 148 lbs. I've always had issues with my weight fluctuating, and I don't think I've ever in my life had a flat stomach. I'm also a stormtrooper.. and last time I put the armor on it barely fit, so enough is enough I've decided to finally really try to get in shape because I'm nearly 30 and I want to be healthy. I quit smoking, and I started going to the gym 3 times a week, I have started doing weekly meal prep as of yesterday and pack cute little bentos for work.

I'm a software engineer so I unfortunately have to spend my whole day sitting on my *kitten*, which doesn't help my situation. I'm also a hardcore gamer, so I spend a lot of my evenings sitting on my *kitten*. So to counteract that, I walk everywhere and of course the gym, and I'm going to try and go out dancing as often as possible. I've also been doing yoga on the days I don't go to the gym.

My biggest weakness is iced coffee. I drink like 8 of them a day, and I've been trying to cut back a lot, I refuse to use artificial sweeteners cause I don't want cancer. . I'm down to like 3 a day, but it's rough trying to stay under 1200 calories when most of them go to coffee and lattes lol.

Looking for some support, advice, friends, anything to help keep me motivated. :-) Maybe I'll be able to wear a bikini this summer

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for what machines to use at the gym to work on my abs that would be great, I'm a newbie and I'm terrible at situps/crunches

Replies

• Jessicailu
    Jessicailu Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I'm also a hardcore gamer, so I spend a lot of my evenings sitting on my *kitten*.

Same! I am also a hardcore gamer! We can totally be friends!
    My biggest weakness is iced coffee

Ahh Me too! Except its Iced Lattes! I LOVE THEM!

Please add me. You sound like an AWESOME person. Also I'm not sure you should only be consuming 1200 calories a day. Calculate your TDEE and minus it by about 20%. That will tell you how much calories you should be eating. I am 120 pounds and I shouldn't even be eating 1200 calories a day. A lot of people here no a lot more about that than I do though. I am new here as well. Feel free to talk to me anytime!
  • weathergiiirl
    Options
    Heyy!! I applaud you for deciding to make the change for a new healthier lifestyle. :)
    I'm still new to this site as well and could use some motivating friends, so definitely feel free to add me!
    If you want to truly commit to this lifestyle and become "bikini ready" in the upcoming months, you're definitely going to have to make some sacrifices. As I'm sure you know.
    Good bye to sugary coffees for one! Try alternative, healthier iced coffee recipes if you really must have your java! But I definitely wouldn't suggest 8 a day. Try different water recipes! ;)
    As for ab machines, there has never been an ab machine that really gave me true abs. The best thing you can do is real hard work, on the floor. Criss cross sit ups, bicycles, toe touches, leg ups, etc. Every day. It pays off trust me.
    Good luck!
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    In for fellow gamers!!
  • ximenia
    Options
    Thanks Jessica I added you. Iced lattes are also my weakness but I've been trying to only do one a day and switch the rest to coffee for less calories lol.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to stay under 1,200 a day?

Also, if your gym has weights, skip the machines and pick up a bar.
  • ximenia
    Options

MFP set me at 1200 a day, I try to exercise to get calories back and I eat my exercise calories.

And yeah my gym has weights, I've been doing squats while holding weights cause that's pretty much all I know how to do lol.
  • ximenia
    Options
    double post.. ><
  • Jessicailu
    Options
    I usually only have one Iced Latte a week. Usually on the weekends. I am here to help and support you with whatever you need! And to anyone else who wants a friend. Feel free to add me!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

MFP set me at 1200 a day, I try to exercise to get calories back and I eat my exercise calories.

And yeah my gym has weights, I've been doing squats while holding weights cause that's pretty much all I know how to do lol.

Definitely read over this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

Definitely read over this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^This!

Also in for hardcore gaming!
    842979613_1393713191.jpg
  • ximenia
    Options
    Heyy!! I applaud you for deciding to make the change for a new healthier lifestyle. :)
    I'm still new to this site as well and could use some motivating friends, so definitely feel free to add me!
    If you want to truly commit to this lifestyle and become "bikini ready" in the upcoming months, you're definitely going to have to make some sacrifices. As I'm sure you know.
    Good bye to sugary coffees for one! Try alternative, healthier iced coffee recipes if you really must have your java! But I definitely wouldn't suggest 8 a day. Try different water recipes! ;)
    As for ab machines, there has never been an ab machine that really gave me true abs. The best thing you can do is real hard work, on the floor. Criss cross sit ups, bicycles, toe touches, leg ups, etc. Every day. It pays off trust me.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the support, yeah I'm aware of the sacrifices I have to make and I'm starting to make changes. Luckily I don't really care about food that much, it's just the coffee that gets me. I've already cut back to about 3 or 4 a day, and I get them with way less sugar than I used to. Sometimes I do no sugar and just get flavored coffee with some milk.

I physically can not do sit ups, I've never been able to. But maybe with the yoga I'm doing now I'll be able to get better at them.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Fellow gamer here as well! Too much couch time. Maybe I should work some squats into my Minecraft time lol.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Every time a creeper scares you that's 15 pushups, that's what I always say :)
  • weathergiiirl
    Options
    It will definitely come with time! Just like me with pushups. I cannot do a proper push up for the life of me lol. It's coming along though! My arms have always been my weakest point.
    Leg lifts will definitely be easier than sit-ups for you, though. Just lay down on your back, hands under your butt, lift your legs straight up into the air and lower them as close to the floor without touching it as you can. Keep your legs straight the entire time and do as many as you can. It's great for lower abs! ;)
    As for coffee, have you tried sweetening with stevia, agave syrup, etc?
  • weathergiiirl
    Options
    Hahaha I love this!
  • khunsberger78
    khunsberger78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hello!! wtg on starting. feel free to add me or anyone else who is looking for friends on here. I also sit a lot during the day as I am a mom and work from home. I have recently purchased a yoga ball and instead of sitting in a regular chair I sit on that. Like you I also used to drink a lot of iced and hot coffee. Now I am down to 1 cup of hot coffee a day and 3 iced coffees a week. I have also tried a few different homemade flavored waters. Try apple cinnamon water or cucumber water. The recipes aren't exact as everyone's tastes are different. Good luck!!
  • Jessicailu
    Options
    For me sit ups, crunches are so much easier then leg lifts! they kill me. I cant make my legs straight and go up and down. Seems easy right? lol
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

^This!

842979613_1393713191.jpg
    I'm ashamed to admit I requested and got this game for a birthday one year. The sleepover, however, was epic.
  • weathergiiirl
    Options
    My favorite out of all ab workouts are Russian twists and bicycles!
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

^This!

842979613_1393713191.jpg
    I'm ashamed to admit I requested and got this game for a birthday one year. The sleepover, however, was epic.

I'm unashamed to admit that the exact same thing happened to me!