breastfeeding

Options
I heard BFing burns 500 calories a day! If so, how can I add this into my 'exercise' since technically I am burning calories, right? The joys of motherhood :)

Replies

• dietcokes
    Options
    Hi! I'm a nursing mom too,,, Did you find a way to adjust the calories for nursing yet?...
  • Winter23
    Winter23 Posts: 142
    Options
    I wish the breastfeeding worked out for me this time......Hope it helps with your weight loss. i figure nature was being nice to breastfeeders, you have to sit on your but so often, it better burn some cals for you :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe that's why I don't gain weight while pregnant, my body knows I can't BF so it makes it so I lose all the pregnancy weight right away. Now I just have to keep losing this time...last time all the weight came back and then some :ohwell:
  • laydeedancer
    Options
    Breastfeeding burns a TON of calories! I lost about 35 pounds while nursing my daughter for 17 months. Sadly...once she weaned, I kept on eating like I was still feeding 2 people.

Maybe look on www.kellymom.com or www.llli.org for info about calories burned. Those were always my go to sites when I was nurisng.
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi
    yOu could just add it as an exercise at 500 cals. It's a good idea to put it in cos you need to eat more!

I stopped bf about a month ago. It didn't make me lose any weight but I didn't try - quite the opposite - used it as perfect excuse to eat whatever I like! "the baby loves chocolate flavoured milk"
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    im breastfeeding so much! :)
  • IzLuMomma
    IzLuMomma Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding never really did much for me and I nursed my son for 13 mos. I have a girlfriend who weaned her son at just little over 2 years and she was almost grossly skinny. When she stopped she put some weight on (thankfully) but it's just one of those things, it works differently for different people! Hopefully, if it's what you want, it will help you shed some extra baby pounds! :bigsmile:
  • bambier
    bambier Posts: 32
    Options
    I breastfed my daughter -- but I actually gained weight while doing it because I wasn't eating enough...
  • mandster
    Options
    I gained too but that was just because of lifestyle changes, eating too much and being very inactive when I used to be sporty. I'm sure it would have helped me to lose weight if I'd made any sort of effort. I thought since I was deprived of red wine then I wasn't going to be deprived of nice food too :-)
  • mandster
    Options
    Express for dieting! I just remembered that with my first child I expressed a lot before going back to work and the weight dropped off without dieting whilst I was doing that. That would give you a good start to your diet if you are still feeding. I was going to do that this time too but the time just seemed right to stop (and he was 20 months,saying "booby" a lot.)
  • Manda_H
    Manda_H Posts: 80
    Options
    i create my own "exercise" and titled it breastfeeding and put in 1 minute and 500 calories. I am 100% breastfeeding my 8 month old 22 lb son which i read a typical baby up to 6 months eats 300-500 calories so i figure my heavy weight slightly older one must certainly take at least 500 calories from me a day.
  • jenlayport
    jenlayport Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I will add it as my own exercise. She gets 1 bottle of formula a day, & I BF about 4 times a day now so I figure around 350 calories?