Homemade Chocolate Milk Recovery Drink

Options
2»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Why not try greek yogurt blended with 1 or 2 fruits. You could blend light and fit greek (80 cals) with some strawberries (cant be too many cals) and some apple or something. Delish, low cal and tons of protein.

Ok - where I'm coming from .....

... I started off this morning deciding that I wanted to make a better and more informed choice of protein powder to stock up on, as I have run out. As I was doing my research trying to find what suited me best, I kept coming across the view that protein as a post workout option was the wrong choice and that there is a common misconception (which I held as well) that boosting your protein intake after exercise was the best option - and that really restocking carbs was more important. I keep seeing the ration 4:1 for carbs:protein as the best option and I keep seeing the point made that chocolate milk, which hits this ratio is the best option for post exercise recovery ... so I decided to ditch the protein shakes (I'm confident that I've improved my diet well enough now that I am getting enough protein from proper food) and try chocolate milk post exercise instead.

To be honest - I'm not totally sure what Chocolate milk is - from the pretty negative response on here I've had, I presume its a far bigger thing in the US than it is here in the UK (or certainly in my family) - I'm guessing its just what it says - chocolate flavoured milk (Chocolate milkshake?)

Yes, it's just chocolate-flavored milk. Popular here in the US for kids, mostly. Just mix a tablespoon or so of chocolate syrup with milk. FYI - Google Hershey's chocolate syrup for a good idea of what US residents usually mean by chocolate syrup. It is used on ice cream as well, so it may be similar to what you're finding in the UK, though my guess is it's probably thinner ...
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Good job OP you do your thing...especially if that means complicating chocolate milk :flowerforyou:

Ok - I'm not trying to complicate it - what's the simple way?

Just drinking it from the carton..everyone likes chocolate milk
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This is an easy to find UK chocolate milk syrup: http://www.crusha.co.uk/milkshakes/chocolate but I expect you will reject it on the grounds of being processed.

How about blending a banana in milk with some cocoa powder? That should give the high carb ratio you are seeking.

Thanks - best response so far :)

Yes, I'm desperately trying to move my diet away from commercial/processed products - I've come to the conclusion that there's just far too much crap added to EVERYTHING! (possibly quite literally!) The real turning point was discovering that my Tesco Frozen Chicken Breasts that became a staple part of my diet had upto about 45% of the RDA for salt per breast and that's just way too much! I lost confidence in my ability to work out from labels whether the eating choices I was making were really healthy or not! Going clean was the only way I could start to have confidence in what I was really eating.

The Banana/Milk/Cocoa option is certainly something I'd be happy to try - but with the negative response I appear to be facing, I'm thinking I'm more likely to be barking up the wrong tree and to have got things muddled somewhere.....

HEY!

I recommended a banana!! :mad: And also rice milk! :noway:
  • Tooloopee
    Tooloopee Posts: 24
    Options
    And also rice milk! :noway:

I have to confess I've never tried Rice Milk (or almond milk or any non dairy milk) - its just so expensive!!
    (Dairy) Milk consistently costs me 44p ($0.74 ish) per litre (and has for years) - Non dairy milk at a quick glance costs £1.30 ($2.19 ish) per litre at cheapest - triple the price! I've just never been persuaded its worth paying that much more...... (but I'm listening if you want to try :))
  • eherte
    eherte Posts: 9
    Options
    I use Ovaltine. Easy and has extra vitamins.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is a great post workout drink.

Another alternative is just simply mixing your protein powder with milk.

The recipe you mentioned with cocoa and sugar sounds a lot like homemade hot cocoa....not sure how it would be cold.

If you feel better having a nice protein/carb/fat after your workout then drink it, but it's not necessary :)
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I LOVE a bannana, ice, milk (I use almond or soy because I can't have dairy) and cocoa powder blended for a post workout treat. If I have it, I add the PB2 powdered peanut butter - since I can't have milk, this is the closest I come to a milkshake, but I feel good about drinking it. It is obviously more the consistency of a shake than chocolate milk smooth, but still delish!