Vertigo & Running !

Options
kddham
kddham Posts: 53 Member
Hello All,

I am (or was) very active in running and very passionate about it. But 3 months back when I was running half marathon, after 9km I got hit with very acute dizziness and was hospitalized for 2 days. Dr identified it as positional Vertigo after lots of tests and medication. I have been going through medication from past 3 months. Things are getting better but I am not able to pursue my passion (Running) the way I want. I am not able to run beyond 3-4 km as of now. Though I am able to do good amount of other workouts (like weight ex, Swimming etc), but running seems to be still triggering the symptoms !

Anyone of you have experienced this so far ? If yes any suggestions how to get rid of and if I will be able to still do long running ?

-Kamal

Replies

• 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I don't understand it and it seems so unfair. You are trying to better yourself and support your passion for running only to be stopped cold. Obviously your body is trying to tell you something but what? Seems the running/ pounding makes something in your ear go haywire. Sorry you are going through this. Wish I could help.
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting a second opinion?

Thinking back to your hm, where the problem began...how far did you run in your training prior to the race? If it was farther than 9km, and you were fine, maybe something else was going on during the race. How was your fueling? Is it possible that you weren't properly fueled/hydrated, and on top of that went out too fast at the start of the race...creating a medical trifecta that landed you in the hospital?

I'm only posing questions for consideration as you think through the situation. Oh, and one more...does your doctor run? I have found that there are varying opinions in the medical field regarding health and running. Doctors who do not run (and never did as a primary form of exercise) are often the first to say all the problems come from running and recommend less running and or doing something else entirely. Maybe that is necessary in some rare cases, but doctors who are also runners tend to see more of the big picture and can offer better recommendations.

Best wishes, I hope you are able to get back to your passion of running!
  • 73Laine
    73Laine Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OMG!!!!!!!! I had Vertigo once yet it was only for few days. i pray i never get it again. i ended up in an ER. i had never had it before and honestly did not kno what it was or what was happening to me. Honestly, i was soooooo sick and dizzy. i could not turn my head without everything spinning out of control and to just walk to the bathroom to vomit i was like a drunk person and could not balance myself i was falling just trying to walk i had to just hold onto the wall to get there. so i kno if u had it like i did, yep there is no way u could run. i tell ya Veritgo don't play. it will have u on ur back as still as u can possibly be. it will have u not moving at all. for along time after i had that episode. i lived in fear that i would get it again. it has been around 6 or more yrs now. i surely hope i never get it again.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Horrible illness. I have had labrynthitis. Do you not have betahistine tablets? I find they work wonders.

Thing is, this dizzy head thing is a symptom usually brought on by stress and/or late nights/early mornings. I found being really disciplined on myself has meant I sorted it out.

I've got a packet of Betahistine tablets as an emergency but haven't used them in about 3 years.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Did they check your electrolyte balance? I'm assuming that they did. But if they didn't then that's something to look into as it can make you quite ill.

it could be nothing to do with that, sometimes vertigo is caused by a virus and you just have to rest and let your body fight it
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My mom had vertigo for about 6 months after she got into a biking accident that left her with broken ribs (it was bad). Have you gotten into any accidents like that? Hers was only temporary. I also knew someone else that had vertigo because of inner ear problems. I guess if one or both of your ears is plugged or inflamed it can send your balance off and make you feel horrible.
  • kddham
    Options
    Thanks allot your reply folks.
  • fit2014yay
    fit2014yay Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor suggest any balancing exercises? I just googled "balancing exercise for vertigo" and found articles on vestibular rehabilitation therapy that might help. My friend has BPV and does exercises each morning to help with her balance.
  • jenbob555
    jenbob555 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You should ask your doctor about "vestibular rehabilitation." It's a type of physical therapy that deals with vertigo. At work we refer a ton of people for this and have gotten awesome results. Since it's physical therapy, there's no medication and they could probably give you tips for what to do if vertigo strikes while running.
  • kddham
    Options
    Sure thanks for the valuable feedback folks.