c25k question

Options
Hi, I just completed my first c25k workout on the treadmill today.

The program says to do it 3 times a week, so what should I do the other 4 days?

I don't belong to a gym, and I only have a treadmill and youtube exercise videos to choose from. Would it hurt to do it more than 3 times a week? I want to make sure I'm benefiting from my exercise choices.

Any input would be great :)

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Rest days are just fine. I am on week 4 .. it is a great program.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    When you first start running, you are using muscles you may not often use and in a way they aren't used to. The program is designed to slowly introduce your body to running without overloading your body. It is suggested you follow the program as is.
    Of course, it may depend on the person and their fitness level, but as a general rule I'd stick to it. Rest is as important as the workout itself. That doesn't mean you can't do anything else. You can walk on the other day or the exercise videos.
  • sliceof_life
    Options
    Ok thank you. I definitely have never been a runner, so this is very new to me. I will probably stick to just walking on the other days.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Do your workout videos or just walk. It's best to mix things up and give your body a chance to recover.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Follow the program exactly! Only do three days a week. It is designed to be effective and reduce the risk of injury. Stretching after every run in also recommended.
    If you must do some exercise on off days I suggest walking with or without a full body stretch afterwards, yoga, bike riding, swimming or weight lifting.
    If running a five km race is your priority, then make your c25k days the days when you are prepared to exert the most energy.
  • Scheezo
    Scheezo Posts: 13
    Options
    You don't want to burn yourself out but a lot of people do some strength training on the other four days.
  • apratsunrthd
    apratsunrthd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's awesome that you're motivated to exercise more. That said, I agree with the other suggestions: stick to the plan.

I started running 5Ks a couple years ago at 280 pounds (and 48 painful minutes). These days, I usually break 27:00 and I'm up to half-marathons. Even with all that weight (losing as I progressed), the only times I ever injured myself were when I tried to put on too many miles or too many speed days. Now at 199 pounds, I run over 20 miles per week but I NEVER add more than 10% per week.

If you overdo it, it's not a question of IF you'll get injured, it's a question of WHEN. Cross-train with other activities and walk. That's what I've done and it's worked well for me!

Good luck!
  • sliceof_life
    Options
    Thanks everyone. You've been very helpful! I appreciate it.
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to run an outdoor 5k, get off the treadmill and get your runs done outside!:) Or at least half of them. But definitely stick to the 3 days a week of running the plan calls for and follow the plan as it's written. I would make sure you get at least one complete rest day a week, but the other 3 days, feel free to do the kind of workouts you normally do (swim, bike ride, yoga, walk, classes, dvd's, strength training, etc). Lots of other activities complement running and will help to prevent running injuries. Good luck!