Running my first 5K and have a few questions!

Options
2»

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I listen to music, but with only one earbud so that I can hear the other runners.

I also always wear my Road Id. If something happened, I'd rather them just have to check my wrist for my medical info rather than try to unpin my bib to see the back or take the time to look up my registration.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My favorite topic for first time racers - it helped relieve a lot of my fears and answered pretty much all of my questions before my first race: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

He covers everything from a 5k to a full marathon, but it's all good info.

Have a great time in your race - it's exciting and fun, and such a great feeling when you cross that finish line! :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Since I've never run one, I have a few questions. First of all, should I wake up early to eat and hydrate? The race is at 8 AM, so should I wake up around six and get in a Quest bar and some water?

Personally I'm not that keen on running fasted, but I can do 5K on an empty stomach although it's not a fun experience for me. For a 9 o'clock start I'd generally have cereal or porridge, having got up around 0600, using that timetable that'd be 0500 alarm in my case. Equally a banana and apple about an hour before would probably take the edge off for me.
  • JT_2014
    JT_2014 Posts: 3
    Options
    My favorite topic for first time racers - it helped relieve a lot of my fears and answered pretty much all of my questions before my first race: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

He covers everything from a 5k to a full marathon, but it's all good info.

Have a great time in your race - it's exciting and fun, and such a great feeling when you cross that finish line! :smile:

That was a great post by JR, he is the only guy I know that deactivates more than I do. :laugh:
  • apratsunrthd
    apratsunrthd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Your glycogen stores are more than sufficient for a 5K. I personally eat a banana. That's plenty. Hydration is something I do constantly, runs notwithstanding.