Activity Tracker

Options
Hello,

I have started working out since past 6 to 8 months and I think it is time for me to buy an activity tracker.

But after the research, I am totally and utterly confused and need help from the fellow users.

My basic requirements are:
1. Tracking the calories burnt while running, swimming and playing sports.
2. Tracking daily steps

I do not like the clip on type of trackers (as I am sure I will loose it.)

Can anyone please suggest a good activity tracker, based on their experience.

Thank you,
Jay.

Replies

• apratsunrthd
    apratsunrthd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've used a Fitbit Flex for 10 months now, day in, day out, no less than 10K steps per day (just hit 2000 miles a few days ago!).

Cons: The charger sucks. You have to have the Fitbit in just the right way or it doesn't want to charge. This usually also involves cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol. It's a pain in the *kitten*.

Pros: Everything else. Additionally, FitBit customer service is EXCELLENT. I had a Bluetooth problem that had nothing to do with the device --it was actually caused by my old phone. They sent me a brand new unit 'just to try and see if it works.'
  • Trysta
    Trysta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit Flex (it's worn as a wristband) and I love it. I can easily track my steps / calories burned with it.
    I also use the Runkeeper app to track exercise, it syncs with MFP. (as does the Fitbit)
  • jayd738
    jayd738 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome...!!! I guess we have a clear winner for fitbit flex...!! Thank you so much...!!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    do yo live a normally sedentary life? This is what those are targeted to. if you run everyday like I do, it's practically useless. it's used to let you know that you haven't done enough activity that day so if you run everyday like I do, all mine told me was good job for taking 25K steps that day. so I don't use it.

what I like about the fitbit is that there are more users than the polar loop. you can have friends and when you sync the fitbit you can have competitions to see who went the farthest or took the most steps.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Love my BodyMedia FIT. One of the most accurate ones out there, it tracks more than just steps. It has more sensors as well.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Garmin Forerunners and HR monitors are not good for tracking activity all day long. Garmin's are primarily GPS units in which some come with HR monitor features. I wouldn't recommend one if unless you are looking for a GPS unit.

I don't believe that Fitbit and other activity monitors are useful for tracking running/swimming/etc. They are good for monitoring daily activity. From what I understand, some people use them for daily activity and use a HR unit for running/biking/ other activity.
  • Cory_D
    Cory_D Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The people that will answer are generally biased towards one or the other. Fitbit is a good product, and I would have gone with it, but the the Loop some features that drew me to it, despite the smaller following, versus the Fitbits.

1) The Loop is water-proof, as opposed to the water resistant of the Fitbit
    2) The use of a heart rate strap, in correlation with the Loop will provide more accurate Heart Rate and calorie burn at higher heart rate levels
    3) The clasp on the Loop holds it on. I have seen reviews where the Fitbit has been known to work loose.

The weakness of the Loop is that the apps to run it are only available to a few Android phones. (Though my HTC One is now one of them)

Good Luck in your choice.
  • mike7418
    mike7418 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Working at an insurance company and dealing with all of these fitness devices. Activity trackers that I am aware of Garmin VivoFit, Polar Loop, Fitbit Flex, Nike+ FuelBand, Jawbone UP are all wrist band type trackers. Garmin VivoFit and Polar Loop are a close copy to the Nike+ FuelBand
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who is daily swimmer recommends the Misfit Shine to anyone who wants to track swimming.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    do yo live a normally sedentary life? This is what those are targeted to. if you run everyday like I do, it's practically useless. it's used to let you know that you haven't done enough activity that day so if you run everyday like I do, all mine told me was good job for taking 25K steps that day. so I don't use it.

what I like about the fitbit is that there are more users than the polar loop. you can have friends and when you sync the fitbit you can have competitions to see who went the farthest or took the most steps.

we can all but hope to some day reach your level of elite-ness.

for the rest of the mere mortals of MFP, a daily tracker can be very useful in getting an honest accounting of a full day's activity level and see how much it can vary from day to day and especially the weekends. for many people, the combination of moving less and eating more on the weekend ruins an entire week's calorie deficit.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

we can all but hope to some day reach your level of elite-ness.

for the rest of the mere mortals of MFP, a daily tracker can be very useful in getting an honest accounting of a full day's activity level and see how much it can vary from day to day and especially the weekends. for many people, the combination of moving less and eating more on the weekend ruins an entire week's calorie deficit.

It's funny you should mention that. One of my MFPals was talking about how she started noticing that after her long runs how much her regular activity level dropped. Not enough to totally negate the exercise she did, but enough that it was a factor. She found it extremely useful for this reason.
  • jayd738
    jayd738 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ya Exactly, thats the same reason I would want to have a tracker.... Apart from that the loop is very interesting as it is water proof, so I can measure calories burnt during swimming....

Does loop integrate with MFP?