Replies

• DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    [It doesn't matter what I put here because the response will be 'too poor']
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    FWIW I had the same problem after my 3rd. I ended up having an ablation and it was a miracle to get done.

You're going to get really weak and iron deficient if you keep on this way. At the very least, please try to get some iron and cal/mag supplements. Also, Bcomplex and Evening Primrose supplements can really help too. If you have a RiteAid or Walgreens, they usually have a "buy 1 get 1 free deal" once a month or so on their supplement.

As for your question....I'd still try to get SOME work out in. I feel like I'd feel crappier just doing NOTHING, you know?

I do take extra iron during this week because I know I feel weak and I become anemic easily as it is. It took one time of blacking out for me to realize something odd was going on..

As for others saying to get checked, I don't know of any areas that I'd be able to get to in order to do it. And, if I get checked, then what? I have no insurance and no money, sooo I'd then just possibly have an awful diagnosis and no way to treat or fix it. I was hoping i'd have a little luck with finding a job, but this area is poo for job hunting.

So your logic is that it's better not to know? :huh:

One step at a time. Find out if there's a problem. Then if there is, you can go about finding a solution. If there isn't, you'll have peace of mind.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the TMI, just no where else to ask :blushing:

Not true.

Exercise as much/little as you feel comfortable with, but discuss this with your GYN. There are treatments available and you need to make sure this is not a symptom of something serious.

No insurance and I am poor

If you are in the US, try the health department or Planned Parenthood. Based on your income, you may qualify for free care. You need to see a doctor about this.

As for your original question, I generally skip either day one or day two due to horrible cramps. I have endometriosis and have had surgery for it and am much better than I used to be, but I still have too much pain to workout at least one day out of the month. I just go home from work and curl up in a ball and wait for that day to end. lol
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't. If I really feel that working out will make me feel worse, I'll skip it for that day and try to make it up later in the week.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I have never skipped a workout due to this. I've had to stop midworkout due to severe pain and not move for a minute, then start back up slowly. I also had a pretty serious condition that I had to have taken care of, though. I know everyone is different.

As for your underlying cause - you need to stop making excuses and go. You have the internet so you can surely do a google search to find free health care in your area. when they run tests and find whatever it is, then they will be able to help you find what you need to do to get it taken care of.

No money and no insurance is not an excuse.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options

Basically.

Anyway. This post got a bit off topic.
    I don't appreciate being mocked for saying I'm poor. I'm in a very hard spot financially and in every way, actually, in my life and I'm doing the best I can do. The closest planned parenthood is over a half hour from me and I have no car. But, I've said that before.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I have never skipped a workout due to this. I've had to stop midworkout due to severe pain and not move for a minute, then start back up slowly. I also had a pretty serious condition that I had to have taken care of, though. I know everyone is different.

As for your underlying cause - you need to stop making excuses and go. You have the internet so you can surely do a google search to find free health care in your area. when they run tests and find whatever it is, then they will be able to help you find what you need to do to get it taken care of.

Don't you think I've done this? The "free" clinics, you have to go to orientation type deals and get approved for a type of Medicaid, which I got denied for because I'm not pregnant or disabled.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

Don't you think I've done this? The "free" clinics, you have to go to orientation type deals and get approved for a type of Medicaid, which I got denied for because I'm not pregnant or disabled.

I understand your predicament. What about just going to the ER, maybe?
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I do, helps alleviate my cramps, I know its not for everyone, but I did it all through high-school as well.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Basically.

I don't appreciate being mocked for saying I'm poor. I'm in a very hard spot financially and in every way, actually, in my life and I'm doing the best I can do. The closest planned parenthood is over a half hour from me and I have no car. But, I've said that before.

No one is mocking you about being poor.

But let's get real here. People are trying to help you. They understand your situation and are giving you advice based on that. You keep shooting it down or making excuses.

It sucks but you have to figure out a plan. Whether it's asking to borrow money for an exam, re-applying for Medicaid, going to a free clinic even if it is 2 hours away, etc and keep at it until you are able to get to the doctor.

That's it. That's all anyone can say or do. But if you'd rather not know and hope it isn't a life debilitating/threatening issue..best of luck to you.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

Actually, no because you didn't mention that you did. We can only go off the information that you provided. Nobody is mocking you. Far from it, actually. Everyone wants you to be able to be taken care of and healthy. Gyn issues are a huge deal - that's why the thread got off topic. It's more important to take care of yourself than to get a workout in. Sorry if my intention was not clear. Hopefully you'll be able to find a new job soon.

For what it's worth, when I had that problem, the best thing I could do to even help remotely was to drink a crap ton of water.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    In the state of PA, there is a social program specifically for any uninsured woman to go for her annual pelvic exam and mammogram. It's open to women who do not qualify for Medicaid. You really, really need to contact social services in your state and see if there is something comparable.

It's really important not to ignore health problems and hope they go away. You don't want to have to have a serious medical issue in 5-10 years because you ignored something very minor right now.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

Basically.

I wasn't mocking you for being poor. I've been poor, it sucks gigantic, sweaty donkey balls.

I was mocking you for coming up with an excuse for everything.
  • countcalories1987
    Options
    see a doctor
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Heavy days get in my way, too. This month I just did my exercises modified for sitting. haha. Got something done anyway. Curls and presses. Upper body and arms.

I know you said you can't afford to do anything about this, but if you get any extra bucks and want to try the natural way, I recommend herbs like Vitex and Red Raspberry during the month, and on bleeding days, the herb Shephards Purse.

Feel better!
  • fittoday14
    fittoday14 Posts: 128
    Options
    I refuse to do any exercise the first and second days (heaviest).
  • Mrsbeale11
    Mrsbeale11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I suffer from that too. Ive recently started taking starflower oil (borage oil) capsules and they are really helping x
  • countcalories1987
    Options
    I agree there are too many resources out there for these excuses.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I also have heavy periods. I've been informed by my doc, in my case, it's age and it gets worse before it gets better in terms of approaching peri-menopause. With that said, I just purchased a DivaCup in the hopes that I'll be able to workout during my next cycle. I've heard anecdotally that it reduces cramping. What I'm most excited about is it's capacity because mine are so heavy I can't even wear tampons anymore. The super-plus ones are damn near falling out within 20 minutes or so because they are soaked at that point - so going to the gym wasn't an option as I feared the 'mishap'. I generally opted for a nice walk when the weather cooperated. At any rate, I'm looking forward to the DivaCup and we'll see how that pans out. I'm hoping it will allow me to hit the gym the week of.

Bottom line, if you are in pain, I say do what you can, but don't stress too much if you can't. Weight loss is 80% diet anyway. If you stay in your macros, you can still hope for a loss, even if it's a smaller one than usual.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would say, try a different birth control pill. Obama made those free for women, so you don't have to worry about cost on those. The pill is what helped me. I would cry and scream from the cramps I would get. I am now on the shot and I love it! Look up different options for doctors in your area that are willing to help you financially.