Being skinny makes me look old!

Options
I'm 5'5. I used to be 145 lbs. Now, I weigh 123 lbs. When I visited people who I haven't seen for the past 4 years, they think I aged a lot. I hate it that I lost baby fat on my face.

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about yourself?
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Yes its all about how you feel about yourself! If you feel the weight does not look good on you, maybe reevaluate your weight goal and go up a few lbs. At your hight, that won't hurt at all I don't think. You can't go by what others say, but how you want to feel about you. That is whats important.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5. I used to be 145 lbs. Now, I weigh 123 lbs. When I visited people who I haven't seen for the past 4 years, they think I aged a lot. I hate it that I lost baby fat on my face.

You're 34, you didn't lose 'baby fat', you just lost fat from your face.

And yes, fat does plump up the wrinkles, so you decide, good face or good *kitten*!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    The good side to this, though, is that now when you do get older but stay around the same weight you probably won't age as quickly then.

I'll be honest -- when I started losing a bit quickly on MFP last summer this really worried me, too. But in the long run it's worth it.

I used to look at photos of myself and think "wow am I really that fat!?" but I knew I looked 20-something instead of 30's. Now I look at photos and think, "Yep, that's me" and even though I look my age now (37) I'm okay with it as long as I look smaller and more fit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I think the shape of your face can be a contributor also. I'm 5'5" and can't go below a certain weight or I just end up sickly looking (long face).
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My son told me the same thing - I told him I would rather be a healthy weight than look younger.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    If you add muscle onto your frame, your face will get fuller.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How fast did you lose the weight? Do you eat enough fat? Both of these can affect your skin. Not enough fat can cause skin to dry and lose elasticity. Losing too fast can cause sagging skin because it didn't have time to shrink, though it may still shrink later.

But the general shape of your face and your genetics probably has the biggest affect.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, get a good moisturizer, and use sunscreen religiously.

(And I bet you don't look old, just more angular around the face.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Same for me... Everyone said I always looked so young. I look like I've aged 5 years in 1 year now. It's sad!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Someone actually said that to you??
  • tammylegattjohnson1
    Options
    How do you feel though?! You shouldn't feel pressured to gain weight because others think you "look better" with additional weight.
  • caloriesrule
    caloriesrule Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big fan of my 'baby face'. Maybe if I get closer to the weight I want to be I'll appreciate the wrinkles :-)
  • kaypea3000
    kaypea3000 Posts: 5
    Options
    Maybe the people who said that are a little jealous of your weight loss? The truth is, people can be noticeably older within the span of 4 years, but we don't usually tell our friends that they're looking old...
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    For me, it's my neck I hate. I've lost at least an inch off of it, and i have more loose skin on it now.
  • ihateyoga
    ihateyoga Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I don't want to gain the weight back or look old. I guess it's time for some botox. LOL just kidding. I will never go for that. I will keep eating healthy and exercising. I don't have any wrinkles. Only my face became more angular. I feel every healthy and happy inside, though.