What is "typical" 1st week weight loss?

Options
Hi! I've been eating healthier and walking everyday for a week now and I've lost 3 lbs. I know that's good for a week but I thought most people usually lose like 10 lbs in the first week?? So how much did all of you lose the first week you started?? I just want to say I am happy that I lost 3 lbs and I'm proud of myself for doing so and hope to continue this way. I'm not getting discouraged, I'm just curious...

Replies

• DawniesLife
    Options
    Hi! I've been eating healthier and walking everyday for a week now and I've lost 3 lbs. I know that's good for a week but I thought most people usually lose like 10 lbs in the first week?? So how much did all of you lose the first week you started?? I just want to say I am happy that I lost 3 lbs and I'm proud of myself for doing so and hope to continue this way. I'm not getting discouraged, I'm just curious...

I am not sure what the "typical" weight loss for the first week is but my first week I lost exactly 2 pounds.
  • MammaEllis
    Options
    Honestly I never had a "big" number my first week... pretty consistent for me week to week in the beginning. Dont be bummed about 3 pounds though... thats HUGE!!!! GREAT JOB!!!

830631.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    it depends on water weight my first week i lost 7 but i was doing insanity so i litterally had no water weight haha it just depends :) you can message me if you have any other questions
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    First week weight loss is usually the most dramatic--due to the loss of initial water weight. "Typical" weight losses I've seen in the first week is 5-7 pounds. After that, weight loss in my experience is 1-2 pounds per week. Occasionally you may hit a plateau where your weight seems to stablize. Then you begin tweaking you diet and exercise approach to see what needs to be done to kickstart your progress again.

Shawn
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Some people lose more, some lose less. By losing it slower you're more likely to keep it off and know it's probably not just water weight ect. Just remember no matter how much you lose a week it's a loss and in the end it's about keeping that weight off.

3lbs is great for a start :)
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This is my first week and I haven't lost anything yet. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
  • jmkmiller
    Options
    I'm not sure what is really "typical" I think a lot of it depends on where you are starting, and also your diet and exercise. I think that 3 pounds is a realistic weight loss for one week, unless you have 6-8 hours everyday to devote to working out (you know, like on the Biggest Loser). I say, just be proud of what you have done, and keep moving forward. Congrats on your first 3 and good luck with the rest. Just don't give up. I believe that everything that you do to get yourself healthier is a step in the right direction.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,710 Member
    Options
    I don't know that there is a typical. I lost zero my first week and one pound my second week. But I kept at it and stayed consistent, and I averaged about a pound a week for the first 15 or 20 pounds. Keep with it, and it will pay off.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    For me, I really didn't see any weight lost for the first 2-3 weeks. After 2 months I am starting to see results,
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I've had 3 major weight loss journeys that I can recall :laugh: First one was the first time I joined Weight Watchers and that was 11 years ago and a 8lb loss (I was 210). The second one was about 4 years ago, again at Weight Watchers and that was a 5 lb loss and this time around, well, since having my daughter 3 years ago, my first week (again Weight Watchers) was an 8 lbs loss (I was 250). I think I had big numbers because I was bigger and also I went from eating out every day to eating at home, the amount of sodium and junk food I went from consuming to going on a "healthy" diet made a huge difference. I also know the first time around on WW I pigged out for the week before, which added to the salt and it fell off quicker.
    Best of luck and you've come to the right place, this site is AWESOME!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've just had my first week and lost 2lbs which I was very proud of, until I saw how much everyone else is losing ;)

Seriously though, I don't have much to lose, and anything more than 2 lb a week would scare me tbh. As my end goal is not only to lose a little weight but also to keep it off, behaviour that lead to me losing huge amounts at once would probably not help me in the long term. I have yo-yoed for so long that I want to stop that from happening this time.
  • gemzy2607
    Options
    This is my first day using this website, but I have been dieting and working our everyday the past week and havn' lost anything! am I doing something wrong or will it just take longer?
  • Zenlifer
    Options
    I agree with the other comments that the first week wt loss will vary from individual to individual. There are many factors that will affect your result: body type, initial wt, sex, age, type and level of dieting and exercise, loss of excess water (usu the first to go), etc. But even if you did not loose a pound, we all would still recommend that you keep going b/c your investment will improve your overall health. But congrats on loosing 3 pounds. The only way to loose more is to continue and in a year your comments will be different.
  • msstl16
    Options
    I don't know what is the typical 1st week weight loss, but I've lost 3 pounds on my 1st week. for me, it's not bad at all. So don't worry about it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    17 for me. I went cold turkey on soda pop and fast food, big shock for my body. but I also was nearly 500 lbs. when I started back in Dec. 2009
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as a "typical" first week. Nobody loses weight the same as anyone else, your results will be different from everyone else's results. Remember, all the things that go into making you unique as a human, make the changes that you make different from anyone else's changes.

I've seen people lose 20 lbs the first week, but I've seen others gain 4 lbs the first week, both can still go on to be highly successful. Remember to think about this in a long term environment, nothing done in 1 week is binding to you in the long term, this is a game of months and years, not weeks. I've found that people who think week to week have a far higher rate of failure than people who make their goals monthly and don't obsess so much on the "now".
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I've lost 11 pounds thus far...and this is my 6th day.
  • Nicole114
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone!!! I was mainly just curious to see how much other people have lost their first week. I am proud of the 3 lbs that I lost and I will continue to exercise and keep track of my calories. I've got a long road ahead of me but I've done it once so I know I can do it again!!
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Real life isn't quite like the Biggest Loser but you should get a bit more bang for your buck when starting a diet. The healthy food intake and lower sodium releases stored water in the body. First week for me was 5lbs. I wouldn't worry either way about a big or small number first week, like I said it's mostly water anyway so eh, whatever. Good luck on your journey.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Some people lose more, some lose less. By losing it slower you're more likely to keep it off and know it's probably not just water weight ect. Just remember no matter how much you lose a week it's a loss and in the end it's about keeping that weight off.

3lbs is great for a start :)

Amen to the above.

My first week was 1-lb. It is absolutely about keeping it off. This 1 body has to last your for the rest of your life. Take Care to mind your nutrition. Slow and steady wins the race.