200lbs jogging on treadmill and ankles hurting??

Options
I weigh over 200lbs and just started jogging on the treadmill which causes my ankles to hurt when I reach about half a mile...could this be because I'm so heavy or my possibly my shoes? It doesn't happen when I walk....

Replies

• brigbug
    brigbug Posts: 34
    Options
    It may just be your joints getting used to running. Your joints will hurt when you run vs walk as it's more impacting on your joints. Keep at it. The pain will subside as you continue to work out. I don't think it's your shoes, but it's a possibility that you need new running shoes, or lighter ones. I was also over 200 and started to run using the Couch to 5K program.I had a lot of knee pain, but not really so much now. I run road and track not on a treadmill, but I think the same would apply. Hope this helps.
  • jgonnelly
    Options
    I too weigh over 200. I don't find the same problem with running on a treadmill, but I have gotten very serious about my shoes. I would go to a running store and get them to evaluate you gate. Also you may want to try to strengthen you ankles using resistance bands. I have sprained my ankles more times than I like to think about and this was advice my physical therapist gave me during my last recovery. Good luck and don't let it stop you. :smile:
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    possibly both. obviously, the shoes are going to be the easiest to manage in the immediate; and eventually, the weight will come off... perhaps try like a racing walk instead of running? try not to put as much impact on those joints until you're down 20 lbs or so. you wouldn't want to damage them in your efforts to get healthier! try finding a running store and get fitted for some shoes. they're not exactly cheap, but they really do make a huge difference. i was shocked.

btw - congratulations on joining mfp and working towards a healthy lifestyle. :-)
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    www.footsmart.com has a great selection of supports.
    I have several back issues and consequently went through running shoes every 3 months. I saw the spira running shoes and tried them out. They have springs inside and wow do they hold up and provide allot of cusion.
    When you run you are putting allot of pressure on all your joints. I would tell you to go more for the fast walk till your body gets used to getting fit. Try 'race' walking instead.
    Feel free to add me if you wish ;-]
    jac
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    For every extra pound you have on your body you put 3-4 pounds of pressure on your knees and ankles. It could be that at this point running is just too much for them to handle without causing pain. Jogging also puts a lot more pressure on your joints than running or walking does.