Calorie Count Confusion

Options
Hi, I am very new to this site (as well as dieting all together) and I am confused. Can anyone clear something up for me regarding the calorie counter? After exercising each day, I have additional calories left for the day......am I supposed to make sure to eat those extra calories? Or is that just sabotaging/undoing what I have done for the day? Should I make sure to eat those calories, or is it just letting me know that I can if I want to? I greatly appreciate any help in clearing this up. Thank you in advance. Jacquie

Replies

• heaventrull
    heaventrull Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I usually just let mine go.. like I have 619 calories left for the day..
  • biegac
    biegac Posts: 1
    Options
    If you are "allowed" let's say 1500 calories to reach your 'goal weight' and you burn up 350 calories doing exercise during the day you need to use up your calories and eat 1850 calories for that day. If you don't you will be consuming too few calories and you don't want your body to go into a 'starvation mode'. You really need to eat all your calorie allotment for the day,
  • rmath76
    rmath76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You need to eat your minimum number of calories or your body will go into starvation mode, keeping you from losing weight. Believe it or not, sometimes eating more is better. I always try to eat my calories unless I've gained extra from working out. Sometimes I touch those and sometimes I don't. When you complete your entry for the day, it will show a warning if you haven't met your minimum calories. Don't be afraid to eat them. :) Good luck!

Rebecca
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    I don't eat them either. I try to hit at least 1200 (daily minimum to function) or 1500 (my cap is 1730 according to MFP and 1500 is a happy medium). You can if you want to, but I think most people on here don't. They hit their cap and then just stop. I have between 797 left over today.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to eat back calories burned. Say your calorie goal is 1200 calories a day, and you burnt 300, then you have 1200 net calories to eat. That totals up to 1500 calories. I know it sounds confusing, but if you don't eat them back, your body will think it's starving and it will hold on to those calories and turn to fat.
  • jmkmiller
    Options
    Thanks everyone. This was very helpful. I was kinda thinking the same thing (about "starvation mode") but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks again for all of the advice. And good luck to you all on your own journey. :-)