weight loss from running. success?

Options

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 2 years now. The first year, I lost a good amount of weight - around 35 lbs. The second year? Nada. Was that due to running? No...that was due to eating LOL. But what I will say is that the running did a lot initially to change my shape. I lost weight in my stomach and chest faster than in other areas (my theory is that it was self preservation due to all the jiggling in those areas!). I needed to lose in both those areas so it was good for me.

I will keep running because it's done TONS for my health as well, regardless of the weight loss. In the last year, while I haven't lost weight, all of my biometrics have moved from the top of the "normal" range (which I was very happy with!) to...drumroll....the OPTIMAL range. Seriously awesome numbers. My HDL went way up (nearly doubled), my LDL went down, my triglycerides were cut in HALF. My resting HR is in the 40's or 50's, and my cardiovascular system is awesome. I couldn't believe my numbers when I had them taken a couple of weeks ago.

For the record, I also bike and do strength training twice a week. My diet still kind of stinks though (hence the no weight loss in a year despite being 20 to 30 lbs overweight still).
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I started out in the summer of 2010 by walking, 3-5 days a week, 3-5 miles at a time around my neighborhood. Then I started doing it 5-7 days a week and eventually I started jogging parts of my run. I'd walk a mile, run a mile, then walk a mile back. Eventually I cut out the walking entirely and just started running. I totally fell in love.

I've lost about 30 lbs and maintained that loss for nearly 4 years. I've run several half marathons, two marathons and a few 5ks and 10ks. Running has totally changed my life in more ways than just dropping some weight. It can DEFINITELY be a tool for weight loss, but don't be surprised if other wonderful things come out of it.

NOTE: Running however, is NOT an excuse to just pile on whatever food you want into your pie hole. A lot of people make this mistake... running a mile (for the average 135 lb person) only burns about 100 calories. For me, because I'm little, it's closer to 70-75. You'd have to run like 5-6 miles just to burn off a couple pancakes! So just keep at it with the diet, but running can definitely help!
  • jenlovv
    jenlovv Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got to the point last year where I was running about 30 min 6 days per week. I actually did not lose much weight, but I logged my waist and hip measurements and lost a few inches. (This was done without counting calories, but I did watch what I ate for the most part) The best thing that I liked about running was that I felt incredibly confident about my body even though the numbers on the scale weren't going down. And I use the past tense because my running schedule was derailed by injury and illness (and laziness in all honesty) several times and I have yet to get back on track (pun intended). As for how fast I was going... I would have to guess an 11 min/mile, not great, but I could maintain it as long as my ankle held out. I started out running 3 days per week and worked my way to 6. My first run was a 10 min jog and I worked my way from there by using a pre-set schedule in a running book. I think it was the Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Running.

Good luck!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Find a healthy calorie deficit (PLEASE don't starve yourself. Do not TOUCH sedentary if you are running or walking! Use lightly active!) Run according to the plan you pick and give it time. Running is cardio it burns calories while you do it, weight lifting is about preserving muscle while you lose weight and helping burn calories while you rest, and calorie intake is what causes weight loss or gain.
  • jph3232
    jph3232 Posts: 1
    Options
    One thing to think about --- running, if you enjoy it, is a great de-stressor. I find that the programs I stick with are those that I enjoy and feel good about after completing the workout. It's VERY rare that I finish a run and think, "what a waste of time." I have a runner's high, I feel loose and feel like my mind is where it needs to be. Plus - add on about 400 calories that I get to eat during the day and, when I'm limited to 1200, that's a nice bunch. I love running. I'm not a serious runner, but it feels good. I run 30-45 5x a week at about a 9.5 minute mile. Some days are even better and some days are much worse. I definitely see weightloss when running and can feel it once I get into the routine. Allow your body a couple weeks for you to start feeling/seeing a change. You absolutely MUST log your calories as well. Run 30 minutes a day and log calories staying at or slightly below and I would be shocked if you didn't see a change in weight. PLus - your mind will be clear and you will feel great.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot more than I do now. These days if I run, it's to train for a half-marathon, which I've done 5 of already. My next one is the famous Disneyworld one in November (excited about that!). Running is a very efficient exercise for the time that you put in, meaning you'll probably burn more calories in 30 minutes vs. other exercises. It helped me lose weight for sure, because it's mainly about a calorie deficit in the end. However, it's important to supplement running or any cardio with strength training. A lot of distance runners end up being thin but they're "skinny fat." Strength training may not burn many calories but it will help tone your muscles and make you look more shapely.

My favorite running app of all time is Zombies, Run! https://www.zombiesrungame.com/ You have to pay for it, but it's worth it. It basically is a series of narrative chapters where you have to run through town to fetch supplies for people victimized by zombies or complete other missions. At random moments, the sound of zombies will appear and you'll have to run faster than your current pace to avoid them from eating your brains. :) This app definitely helps take the boredom out of running!
  • tendzz
    tendzz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1- Log your calories and make sure you are in the appropriate deficit
    2- Get a good pair of running shoes not from Wal-Mart
    3- Get a good pair of socks to go along with those running shoes
    4- Drink lots of water (if you drink soda or anything like that then try to drop it as it increases your water retention)
    5- If you have an iphone then download some good tunes
    6- Weigh yourself everyday, log every week in the morning preferably under same conditions
    7- Keep at it!
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you have an iphone- do "Running for weightloss" app by Redrock apps.

C25K is good for increasing your stamina for a contiual run... but Running for Weightloss uses HIIT (sprinting mixed with running and walking) and it kicks BUTT in terms of calories and metabolic bump.

But yes- a deficit is necessary as others said. I find a deficit is easier to do when I have an extra 300 calories.

Also, mix it up with other activity- don't run every day IMO. Try strength training on those days off. Even yoga.
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Running intervals is better for weight loss than running at steady state. Also, I find that when I run, I will not be hungry for an hour or two afterward, but then I am starving the next day so I tend to not lose too much weight while running because I am ravenous. I know that there are ways to handle recovery eating however.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I just started back up running again, and I run 3x a week, Mon/Wed/Sat, about 3 miles on weekdays and 5-6 on Saturday. Tuesday I do upper body strength and one round of the 7 minute workout (HIIT). Thursdays I do three rounds of HIIT, and Friday I do full body strength. Sunday is a rest day. This way I get lots of cardio for weight loss and heart health plus strength to help burn calories at rest. Running seems to be the only thing that lets me get the weight off. I've been stalled pretty much all winter, but on the plus side I haven't gained! Hoping to see the scale start moving again.

My favorite running story is when I went to give blood. The nurse did the little mini-physical and as she was taking my temperature and pulse she asked, "Are you a runner?" My eyes got big and I nodded (thermometer in my mouth, couldn't reply) and she said, "I can always tell the runners, your pulse is so nice and low. And as long as you keep at it, it will stay that way." That was a nice NSV.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the app "Zombies, Run!" I nearly bounced out of bed the day I got back to my running program, so I could pop on my headphones and hear the dulcet tones of Sam Yao sending me out on a dangerous mission!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I just had to share that I gained weight from running. Not from running per se, but I trained for a half marathon, and during the process, the amount of calories I personally needed to run those long training runs every week was too much for me. I ran the half marathon, and haven't run since. I have no desire to.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of success last year with weight-loss and running. I have some different factors in my life providing new challenges this year, so I've mixed things up a bit. I combined this with the 8-hour diet to help me with my eating.

If I run for an hour, I burn ~1000 calories, which made eating at a deficit pretty straightforward. I varied my run duration, intensity, and speed across the week. (Shorter/faster to longer/slower).

I went from about 205 to 185 in a number of months. I wasn't tracking on MFP or anything else at the time, so I can't give you concrete dates / times. But it CAN be done!!

There's been a lot of good advice so far in this thread.

I'll reinforce this: if you're enjoying the running, keep it up, and start looking for ways to
    a) run smarter
    b) manage your caloric deficit.

Weight loss will come!
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I just had to share that I gained weight from running. Not from running per se, but I trained for a half marathon, and during the process, the amount of calories I personally needed to run those long training runs every week was too much for me . I ran the half marathon, and haven't run since. I have no desire to.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. I'm not sure what you mean though, by the highlighted statement above - the extra calories being too much for you? Can you explain further please?
  • dwh77tx
    Options
    I just had to share that I gained weight from running. Not from running per se, but I trained for a half marathon, and during the process, the amount of calories I personally needed to run those long training runs every week was too much for me . I ran the half marathon, and haven't run since. I have no desire to.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. I'm not sure what you mean though, by the highlighted statement above - the extra calories being too much for you? Can you explain further please?

Meaning that I was eating too many calories that I felt I needed to sustain the longer runs. The extra calories and also the ravenous appetite running gave me caused me to put on a few pounds. Nothing major, but my clothes got a little snug.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Meaning that I was eating too many calories that I felt I needed to sustain the longer runs. The extra calories and also the ravenous appetite running gave me caused me to put on a few pounds. Nothing major, but my clothes got a little snug.

Running doesn't mean that you can eat anything you want. You should still track calories in vs. calories burned.
  • dwh77tx
    Options

Running doesn't mean that you can eat anything you want. You should still track calories in vs. calories burned.

Right, I know, but the fuel I needed to run for an hour or more at a fast pace, and the appetite it gave me, was like no other exercise I've ever done. I'm sticking with cross training/ group classes, and HIIT for now.
  • mhiggi02
    mhiggi02 Posts: 5,988 Member
    Options
    While diet and other exercise have played a big role in my losing nearly 100lbs, running has had the biggest impact. I can't believe I love running now. Here's my story: http://goo.gl/QdRN8d
  • AshleighCowie88
    AshleighCowie88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :)
  • Chenca
    Chenca Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started running with c25k also. I lost about 20 pounds from running alone- even though I still havent figured out the eating part. As long as you can get past the 5 minuter and the 8-20 minuter- you're golden! Running is the best!!
  • jewol
    jewol Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I started running on March 30 and have lost 19 pounds since then.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!