humpback posture. how can i fix this ?

Options
i have like a humpback posture when i stand i was wondering if theres any strength exercises to fix it

Replies

• LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yep, working on this now with my trainer. My suggestion, get one! They can help with posture and exercises specifically for that.
  • tmyers541
    tmyers541 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Did physical therapy for a few months after a work accident that messed up my back. Had poor posture to begin with but even worse with all the tight muscles. They used tape to help correct how I stand. You might want to look into it, have someone tape you up and it can stay on for a few days.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Work on core/back strength and as these areas get stronger you'll naturally sit/stand straighter. Away from the gym if you want, every hour you're awake for 2-5 minutes to start activate your core consciously to work on your posture. this doesn't mean to suck in your stomach as much as you can however. When you're trying to do this, imagine you're trying to drive your navel into touching your back and you should feel a slight change in how your abs feel, this is how you would know when you are activating them or not and then go from there in terms of time per hour
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I found Pilates really helped with my posture, it made me very aware of how I let my shoulders and back slump all the time. Also lifting weights helped a lot as well.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    1. Stand against a wall (no pix on the wall). Press shoulders,elbows and backs of hands against wall (elbows at right angles, fingers pointing up). Slide hands up wall and toward center above your head while maintaining shoulder, elbow and hand contact with wall. Go as far as you can, hold. Repeat. Keep doing it every day. The goal is to be able to make your hands meet over your head without losing contact from the wall).

2. Stand in doorway, bend right arm in same position as described above, place hand (palm side forward) against door frame, lunge forward on left leg to stretch. hold. repeat. do other side.

3. Sit up straight everywhere. Yep. It hurts, and it's uncomfortable. Keep doing it.

4. Stand up straight everywhere. See #3.

5. Sit up straight. Lift dumbbell over your head using 2 hands (10 lbs. maybe?). Lower it down behind your head carefully (slowly), and bring it back up. Repeat many times. (You can also lie down with your head close to the edge of a coffee table or bed and lower the weight down behind your head).

blessings.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    My bf and I were just talking yesterday about how cool it was that posture improved as a byproduct of other exercises. For example, when you do dumbbell rows, deadlifts, anything that involves pulling weight up with your arms, try pinching your shoulder blades together at the top of the movement. Building up the core and stabilizer muscles really helps the posture, even if posture isn't specifically what you're working on.