Calories from work! ARE YOU SERIOUS!!

Options
Ok peeps, well, either I've totally miscalculated or I really do love my job!
I usually have my settings on 'sedentary lifestyle' (I'm addicted to MFP and Facebook and am also currently catching up with sonme Ugly Betty), so I'm at work today and as a nurse in A&E I figured that although I'm on my feet for the next 13 hour, that probably '6 hours x slow walking' would be appropriate for extra exercise. I put the data in and it has earned me over 1000 extra calories!! That can't be right can it?!?!
I have no intention of consuming the extra but I feel it seems excessive...am I totally over-estimating or would you say that my calculations are reasonable?

its seems too good to be true

over and out! x

Replies

• cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    On average, just standing for an hour burns 100 calories. Having children stand while watching tv instead of sitting has actually been suggested as a way to fight childhood obesity for this reason.
  • fannyanntut
    fannyanntut Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That makes sense. I figured I'd burn something but I'm trying not to delude myself by over-estimating. I 've got a pedometer on my phone so maybe I should put that on and see tonight how many steps I've done and work it out more accurately...I'm trying not to be too obsessed but I also want to have a good idea how many calories I can gain
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    good question. I'm a nurse as well and a couple of my coworkers are using this site as well and I was wondering how that would add up.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I guess you could do that. I'm an RMT and I am on my feet every day massaging people, wasn't sure whether to add that as exercise or not. The reason why I haven't added it is because I figure my body has adapted to this type of exercise "work" so maybe it would give me false numbers.

Guess I"m just confused as you with adding work towards exercise.

lol
  • DanellaK
    Options
    I work in a doctors office and I use my pedometer....feel naked without it now! Anyway, you burn cals just breathing so I figure counting steps should be pretty accurate; unfortunantly the "meters" aren't. So I really only count about 2/3rds of the cals it tells me i've burned.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You'd have to subtract your calories from your BMR to determine what you would have burned just by being alive and doing nothing else... but a HRM would be a great way to tell for sure... Polar makes ones that work based on your heart rate and Garmin makes some that calculate calories burned based on speed and distance... that sounds like it is really too high in my opinion but there is only 1 way to know for sure!

Good luck!
  • fannyanntut
    fannyanntut Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    it seems high to me too. I wouldn't want to put that I have a lightly active lifestyle because I only work about 3 days a week (although they are all long shifts).
    I'm going to go with pedometer and work it out from there but as I said before I have no intention of using the extra calories, it would be just nice to see the extra work.
    thanks for all your advice x

I'll look into a HRM, thanks hun