coffee creamer

Options
I've noticed a big chunk of my caloric intake is from my coffee creamer. I really LOVE my morning coffee. Anyone have any yummy recipes with less calories?

Replies

• cleejefferson
    cleejefferson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I add one packet of sugar free hot coco mix to a regular cup of coffee
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back on the amount you use - make sure you measure. I don't know how much you use now, but set a goal to reduce it gradually over the next few weeks. I used to drink a ton of creamer too, but have weaned myself off it to drinking only coffee sweetened with stevia, and some days I drink it black.

Another idea is using a small amount (again - measure it!) of plain milk. Skim or low-fat. My 1% milk is 110 calories/cup, so if I only use a Tablespoon, that's 7 calories.

It will just take some getting used to - you can do it!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have learned to go without... or to use skim milk.
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have learned to go without... or to use skim milk.

same here
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Use a measuring spoon when you are putting it in and stick to a serving size. If you really want that creamer (I know how you feel) use the International Delight sugar free ones. They have some fabulous flavors that are A LOT lower in calories!! Btw, coffeemate uses partially hygrogenated oils in their liquid AND powdered creamers--when I found that out, I never bought them again. But International does not use them. I also use splenda in my coffee instead of sugar when I want a little extra sweetness. I think it was Bob on the Biggest Loser who preached "Don't drink your calories!" lol
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I substitute whole milk and honestly it's the same end result in my opinion. I use whole milk in my Starbucks too. And that's like battery acid! My favorite!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Land O Lakes has a LOW FAT 1/2 & 1/2 that has the creaminess and taste of the full fat but only has 25 cals per 2 Tablespoons. I tried their fat free 1/2 & 1/2, but it just didn't have the creaminess, and tasted kinda blah. I don't care for the flavored creamers, and don't use sweetner in my coffee. I have no plans on giving up my creamy coffee!:drinker:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Skim milk here too... I do get flavored coffees to have some flavor though.
  • SkinnyCorinny
    Options
    Ha! I am going through the same issue...I've decided that I am not emotionally ready to let go of my coffee yet haha. I've just decided to cut back in other areas of my eating to make up the difference...which probably isn't good but at least I stick to my calorie plan! :) I agree with the others though. Just try and cut back even if it takes you an entire week to do so each time. Better something than nothing. Good luck to you!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I've heard Almond Milk. I didn't really like it, but I use coffeemate in my coffee not creamer. Good luck to ya'.
  • sharonimo
    Options
    Try to look for the sugar-free creamer varieties. They have about half the calories.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I like Sugar Free Vanilla CoffeeMate & Truvia in my coffee.
  • knblocklinge
    Options
    I use vanilla soy milk. It adds sweetness and creaminess. If you don't like soy milk, I would suggest using low-fat milk v. skim milk. It will mimic the taste and texture you are use to (with your creamer) with only a fraction of the calories. Good luck!
  • Tara_Alesia
    Tara_Alesia Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did fat free for a long time, but I've learned to go without coffee. Good luck on finding your perfect mixture!
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use to take my coffee with sugar and cream for a long, long, long time.
    When I decide to lose weight, I also decided to just drink my coffee BLACK with no cream or sugar at all.
    It took me awhile to get use to it, but just as I am determine to lose weight, I also was determine to just drink the coffee without the other items.
    So if you can try and just drink the coffee the way it is with nothing added.
    Trust me, it may take awhile, but you can get use to it. I had been drinking coffee for over 20+ years with sugar and cream added.
    I just decided to stop adding them and now I am use to drinking just the coffee now. If I try to add anything in the coffee now, I would just throw the coffee away. (someone made me some coffee one day and added the sugar and cream, could not drink it)

I hope this helps.........
  • foxysmum
    foxysmum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have 3 mugs of coffee a day with either Creamer or real cream - I count it in daily ! Absolutely no point in even trying to go for low fat stuff, or milk of any description as my not having the coffoee I enjoy is NOT an option.... Dieting is for life so you have to enjoy what you eat or drink or will never stick to it.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about my creamer, it's my daily splurge. Gotta have something to look forward to!
  • mama2lmcjd
    mama2lmcjd Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I switched to coconut milk.
  • Fitnurse27
    Fitnurse27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love coffee creamer and I have also been factoring it in. I only drink 1 cup a day and then use 2 servings of creamer. I measure them out. The rest of the day I drink water and green tea. So I don't drink the rest of my calories, but the creamer is worth it to me. If I feel too deprived I will stress out and quit everything.
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just joined this site and saw this post. I was a "coffee xtra light with light cream only" coffee drinker. I didnt think I could survive with it any other way. I switched to half&half for about 3 months, and now I drink it with fat free half and half.
    I agree with another poster who said the land o lakes version is really good but alot of times, I just buy the store brand ff half and half.
    I have a keurig and found a couple of flavored coffees that I really enjoy and that helps too. I didnt think I could make the switch but I did.

Just be careful if you choose to use the coffeemates which are powdered. Most contain hydrogenated oils, which are transfats so they are not the healthiest either. I guess its 6 in on, half a dozen of another.

Good luck...You can do it!!!