Whats it like loosing weight?

Options
I'm 21 and I've been overweight since childhood.. Ive never known anything else. I got married and had my first baby at 18, my second at 20 and my third at 21... I'm back at my first pre pregnancy weight... But so much flabier.. I look like I'm 40 pounds more.. I've never known anything but having fat hanging off my belly, arms, back... What's it like when the fat comes off? Do you feel like a different person? Are you ever still self conscious? What's life like after weight loss? I've just lost 8 pounds and I'm looking for some motivation I guess :) I really want to get healthier and know I'll be around long enough to see my kids grow up. I habe about 75 more pounds to loose to get to a healthy bmi.

Replies

• elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I was always pretty big too, growing up. I have lost 110, and I definitely feel like a different person.

I'm way more active; for example, I don't get winded going up two flights of stairs any more. My face doesn't get all red like it used to from a little walking (I am fair skinned), and I no longer have the "chubby cheeks" my mother likes to pinch! (Thunder thighs may never go away though... oh well!)

I can shop in regular stores for clothes for once in my life! It's so much cheaper and easier.

I don't feel embarrassed walking around in public. I still get self-conscious sometimes, but never as much as I used to. I'm even planning to buy skirts and shorts this summer... that's a new one for me, because I always wore pants before! But for once I'm starting to feel comfortable in my skin, and like I don't have to keep hiding myself.

It gets frustrating still at times. I still have a problem with food addiction... I am very obsessed with food. It's hard not to think about eating. But I've managed to keep it under control by tracking obsessively. It's probably a habit I'll have to continue all my life, but it's worth it! Despite plateaus and setbacks, I think it's the best thing I've ever done for myself. And you can do it too!
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    First of all - let me say WOW and congratulations on your 3 kids with such small age gap. I just have one, he is almost a year old and it is so much work! :) Although, I started kind of late (at age 33).

I have never been overweight, but I have gained 50 pounds during my pregnancy and was stuck at 182 pounds for months on end. Then I found this site and slowly, I started counting my calories and taking a 30 min walk a day with my baby. And 3 months later, I am 24 pounds lighter and have 11 more to go to my pre pregnancy weiht (which is also my ideal weight)

I know how it feels to feel run down with weight. I was frustrated, couldn't wear any nice clothes and my biggest motivation of all was - I had no energy. Everything was difficult. As the weight started coming off, I started feeling better and I am not even talking about my appereance. That was a welcome side effect. The greatest thing was - I have my ENERGY back, I feel like moving and going places and I don't feel like I want to drop dead on the couch at the end of the day.
    I started sleeping better (once the baby started sleeping better LOL) and the weight is coming off (maybe becuasue there is no late night snacks anymore)

So how does it feel - it feels great. I just managed to pull one of my prepregnancy jeans over my tighs (still can't button them up) - but it was an achievment.

What helped me is starting slow and not expecting too much too soon. (I am surprised the weight came off this quickly) I gave myself until June 2011 to lose it all.
    And the best thing of all - as I am eating healthier food (because you don't want to waste all your daily calories by eating one burger, you kind of have to switch to delicious salads, etc) I crave more of healthy food and I don't even get cravings for burgers and chips anymore. And I feel better for it. More energetic...

Good luck to you! Add me as a friend if you wish, it helps to have many friends to support you towards your goal. It will keep you motivated.
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Once you lose the weight, that is the easy part. The hard part is making sure that you keep the weight off.
    You will find that your will have more energy and when you look at yourself you will be very proud of what you done.
    Also any health issue that you had may go away, now some health issues may not be related to your weight, but any health issues that is related to your weight will possible go away. That is what most doctors I have talked to told me.

Also people will notice your weight loss and tell you how great you look.
    Hopefully you will stay on that journey to lose weight, it isn't easy, but it can be done.
    Remember also that once you do lose the weight, you must make sure that it don't come back again.

I hope this helps.......