Logging/Working out on the weekdends

Happy Monday everyone! So since I started back on this journey and rejoined the lovely family that is MFP I have had a horrible time logging and working out on the weekends. I am pretty good on the week days when I am working to make sure I log every single thing I eat. And when I am not being a lazy *kitten* I work out. But when the weekends roll around it’s like I don’t care. I don’t necessarily go all crazy and eat everything I can get my hands on, but I don’t pay as much attention as I should that’s for sure! So I guess I am just wondering what is your motivation or things you do to stay on track on the weekends? How do you balance it when you are like me and the weekends are the only time you have to run errands, clean the house, do laundry, and still find time to have fun and relax. I am sure some will just say stop complaining and just do it but any advice would be awesome!! :happy: :happy: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    prelog

I mean it doesn't take long to log really but if you really don't have time..prelog and stick to plan.

use the phone app if you have to.
  • nmcrosier
    nmcrosier Posts: 268 Member
    I use my cell's app to record food on MFP and set reminders for working out to ding on my ride home - so I feel like it's yelling at me to get my *kitten* to the gym.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Oh, I use the phone app all the time and pre log during the week. Its just hard during the weekend because I don't have a set plan for what I am going to eat for the day since I am always busy doing something. So I am finding it a little hard to pre log is all. At the moment that is.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    Totally agree with Stef and Cassie. Pre log it if you can. If it's in my diary, that's what I do.

BUT - if you don't or can't pre-log, just be very very careful during your work week to stay within your calorie intake. Then if you fudge a little on teh weekends it won't be as big a deal. That's not to say you should have a 'free pass' on weekends. Log accurately and honestly, even if you don't want to admit what you ate/didnt' eat or did/did not do for exercise. As long as you're honest with yourself, you'll make your goals. Good luck.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Your motivation shouldn't change based on what day of the week it is. You want to lose weight and get healthy . . . those aren't Monday--Friday goals.

I used to be the same way until I realized that.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Why not pre-set your meals on Saturdays and Sundays as well? I give myself one meal - Saturday or Sunday dinner - in which I don't plan and don't log as it is a social setting and I really don't give a rat's butt. Those days, however, I also spend more time at the gym and generally sit very little so I am burning more calories.

My eating at home is very different - at work I snack all day so I have small meals with snacks. At home I dont' snack so I have larger meals without snacks which makes it somewhat easier to log. Even if I don't log it, I still weigh everything and keep a mental tally as to what I am at.

Without doing this you are essentially starting again every Monday! Find what works for you :)
  • sfhudgens
    sfhudgens Posts: 123 Member
    I am the same way..... but prelogging sounds goods...but I don't always know what I am going to eat ;)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    It is just something I do; the phone app has helped a lot on that.
  • That's a great idea!
  • That's a great idea!
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    On the days i am eating at home or packing my lunch ,i often prelog .when there is a chance og surprise,i log before going to bed,it is kind of routine like remove makeup,moisturize the face,brush the teeth like routine. :laugh:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    I don't differentiate between weekends or weekdays. If you adjust your mindset that every day is a day you can improve your health, you may find more success.

I find it very freeing to chuck the schedule. I want to lift 2 or 3 days a week. I want to do some HIIT or dancing or ride my bike on the non-lifting days. Sometimes I'm tired and I take a day off.

This past week I lifted on Sunday due to the gym being closed (San Diego fires) the previous 3 days. I had never been on a Sunday before. I didn't look at it as "it's Sunday, the weekend, I'll just wait another day". I looked at it as, "well, I haven't lifted in 4 days, I want to get in there!".

blessings.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    I have an irregular schedule, so there's not much difference for me between weekdays and weekends. If I'm busy and I can't log what I eat at the time, I'll use my phone camera to take a picture so I don't miss anything when I log later.

Weekends are my prime workout time, since I'm a long-distance cyclist and it's hard to get 3-5 hours for a ride during the week, except in the summer (I'm on a 9-month contract, so my summers are more flexible).
  • I log 'Default when calories can't be listed - Restaurant/Takeaway, 1 dinner' for 1,000 as my dinner on Saturdays/Sundays if I know I'm going out and will probably not be able to log/weigh/track. If it turns out the restaurant has nutritional info I'll delete and log but otherwise 1,000 is a guestimate. It means I can work out my other meals accordingly - instead of splurging just because it's the weekend... I find it helpful!
  • Also, with that factored in, I know if I have to go easy during the week so that my weekly deficit is correct! Even if my daily is a little over at the weekend.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Your motivation shouldn't change based on what day of the week it is. You want to lose weight and get healthy . . . those aren't Monday--Friday goals.

Yup! What's different on sunday or saturday than on wednesday ? Nothing.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member

Yup! What's different on sunday or saturday than on wednesday ? Nothing.

Depends on which day is water cleanse day or apple cleanse day... duh
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I agree with previous comments - it is about mindset not motivation. You have to make the decision to log on weekends.
    Weekends can very easily throw off your whole week. For a lot of people, I would consider almost more important to keep track on the weekends.
  • powerpigeon
    powerpigeon Posts: 46
    What about logging a few different things you routinely eat as recipes, so you can just add them in one click, rather than searching about for ingredients?
    I know it doesn't help if you're out and about, but I think most of eats are creatures of habit and definite have a few meals we eat all the time. If it's quicker to log that wrap you have for lunch a lot, or that rice dish you make, or your favourite snack combo, perhaps you're more likely to actually log it.
  • youcrazything
    youcrazything Posts: 32 Member
    I was doing this for a while as well. I find logging and eating within my calories easy during the week, but something about the weekend makes it suddenly a challenge.
    The motivation for me to start logging consistently again was I was either losing really slowly or not at all while I was doing this. Its hard to tell if you are keeping a decent deficit if you don't track and eat whatever on the weekends. I felt like I was wasting my effort during the week if I just ended up eating all those calories back over the weekend.
    This last week is the only week I've been back on track, but I've already started losing again, so that's motivation enough for me to keep it up.