I want to eat brown rice plain

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I like good ol plain white, steamed rice myself.....
    Yep. The difference in nutrition between white rice and brown rice is miniscule.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    All of this.

Also, if you have to add stuff to it, I think it's fairly obvious that you don't "love it."
  • sushidulces
    sushidulces Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Love love LOVE rice with Cholula hot sauce. Esp the one with lime. So good!

What about eggs? I like over medium with hot sauce. I burst the yoke, and it combines with the hot sauce to make a delicious and nutritious sauce for the rice.

Now I'm hungry, haha!
  • StarvingInSuburbia
    Options
    I like plain rice with salt... I've never really eaten it any other way, besides adding an Indian curry that I made.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ive known people who made sushi (non fish) and rice pudding from brown rice... if thats not what you want... vinegrette, tamari, or any combination of spices you like would probably be my recommedation.... garlic powder, cumin, nutritional yeast, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, lime juice or what have you...
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Put broth in it. :)

But seriously, here's my quick & dirty black beans and brown rice recipe. If you don't like black beans...well you should, because they are delicious.

1 white onion
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 tbsp minced garlic
    2 cans black beans
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/8 cup cilantro

Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Chop onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic and stir. Add rice and saute until mixed well with onion and oil. Add chicken broth and increase heat to high, Add chili powder and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Allow rice to cook fully, generally 20 minutes for brown rice. Remove lid, stir, add beans, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, and stir until well mixed. Serve hot.

This sounds amazing!!
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Risotto! :)

or suppli/arancini....

here in texas we would do mexican rice with beans (refried pinto or black) with avocado/guacamole and salsa/hot peppers if that inspires you.... maybe add a tortilla... or eat it out of a bowl.... or on a plate with a couple tamales/chili rellenos.... maybe some daiya cheese shreds....

"Something she said to me last night
    Something she said to me
    I saw the sun rising up over my daddy's grave
    And I ate some cheese and rice today" --*kitten* surfers

go to louisiana and they do jambalaya and gumbo....
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Add a little cheese to hot rice...yum!

Or, sauté some diced red pepper, diced mango, and minced garlic, then add cooked rice and heat together for a minute...double yum!
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Love love LOVE rice with Cholula hot sauce. Esp the one with lime. So good!

What about eggs? I like over medium with hot sauce. I burst the yoke, and it combines with the hot sauce to make a delicious and nutritious sauce for the rice.

Now I'm hungry, haha!

MMMMMMMMMM. YES!!!! :bigsmile:
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    Everything sounds delish! Thank you all so much.
  • surfinbird_1981
    surfinbird_1981 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I put a bit of olive oil and coriander in it, yummy!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I like good ol plain white, steamed rice myself.....

Mmmm me too! I can never get it just right though - rice is the one thing I really really suck at making every single time lol
  • fairyface87
    fairyface87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    A couple of eggs, peas, onions and a tsp of five spice :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah, make some fried rice (add veggies, bit of soy sauce, one egg).

Or just with a bit of melted cheese on top, like someone mentioned.
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options
    There's this product I buy called "Seeds of Change Quinoa and Whole Grain Brown Rice"- it's certified organic and the ingredient list is pretty impressive:

Water; Whole Grain Brown Rice*; Whole Grain Quinoa*; Sunflower Oil*; Sea Salt; Garlic Powder*; Tapioca Starch*; Onion Powder*; Soy Lecithin*; Dried Garlic*; Parsley*; Spice*. *Organic.

It's good enough to eat on it's own for sure! And it's sold pretty much in every big store around my town that sells food.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it either, I mixed what I had with my white rice to use it up so you could mix it half and half with white. I won't bother with it anymore, for the bit I eat I would rather enjoy my steamed white rice. :ohwell:
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bump for brown rice!!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    bumping to find again. :)
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    We just make it plain and mix store bought hummus with it. Hubby likes it that way too and he's pretty picky.
  • snootmaster
    snootmaster Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Just made this awesome recipe last week...

I took a food processor full of broccoli florets (that is what I had)and pulsed it until finely ground (came out to about 4 cups ground).
    I sauteed the broc in a couple of tsp of olive oil for about 8 or so minutes then added 2 cloves of fresh garlic chopped. Then I added 2 cups of already cooked rice and continued to saute a bit more. Add salt, pepper and chile flakes to taste. I served it with pan baked tofu and this most amazing sauce....

3Tbsp tahini
    2Tbsp water
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    2 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp sesame oil
    1 large clove of garlic

put all of these in the food processor and process until smooth. Serve drizzled on top of tofu and broccoli rice. The rice was fantastic, the broccoli tasted great and it bulked up the rice with fewer calories.
  • snootmaster
    snootmaster Posts: 69 Member
    Options