Do you ever just hate dieting?

Options

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I thought I would speed up weight lose by going on a diet, it lasted less than 3 days . . . I thought it would come down to having a job or not!

The changes that I made in my eating are changes that I believe I can live with long term. I have all along eaten fried foods, chocolate and ice cream. One of the first recipes I logged was my coffee, I had no intention of changing how I take my coffee so I needed to make it fit. If you want to drink a soda, drink it, work out the calories and allow yourself some joy. I weigh my food on occasion, I tend to cook so reading food labels is minimal. There is a way for you to do this and still enjoy eating but I doubt you will find that while dieting.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Yes I hate dieting. And yes I hate it even when it's a lifestyle change. And yes I hate it even when things fit my macros. Yeah I can have cake or a hamburger or drinks as part of my diet, but I want multiple drinks and cakes and hamburgers. I want to go on a cheese rampage every day. I want to eat piles of lasagna and loads of chicken paprikas. I want to eat brunches and then be able to go and have a huge dinner seven hours later. I want mega meatballs, apple pies, and barbecue sandwiches. I want to eat like I ate when I was in Vegas. I want to eat all day every day, and no matter how you look at dieting, whether it's staying under a certain amount of calories, a "lifestyle change," staying in your macros, etc., the truth is for me if I consumed all the food I wanted I would be like those people on the 600 pound life. I just absolutely love food. It tastes so good.

Oooh edited to add I want to eat whole pizzas for lunch and hot dogs for lunch dessert, with a post lunch pre pre dinner strawberry cheesecake snack. I'd throw some avocados and bananas in there too.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Well, we have different body types for one....

But start running a lot and lifting weights, and that would require more calories.....
    Bout all I can offer as a suggestion.

um....maybe I need to lift more and run more...because I do both and still find the amount that makes me lose is very little...I really have to starve myself to see scale moving a tiny bit...
  • jamiesokd
    jamiesokd Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In the "old days" I really dieted. I was told to eat 1000 calories. I would eat and then be hungry soon after. I would lose weight and the minute I stopped dieting- I gained it all back and more.
    Now I eat whatever I want in reasonable quantities and I never go to bed hungry.
    I move a lot for exercise and walking and lifting so I burn a lot too.
    My health, at age sixty is great (knock on wood, lol)!
    I don't feel like I'm "dieting" and I have vowed never to diet again.
    I've been maintaining for over a year and am very satisfied.

That's awesome!! :)

I used to not be hungry at bedtime when I first started, but in the last few weeks that has changed. I just can't seem to stay satisfied. Now, in that same time frame I have started a new job which involves more time on my feet - more hunger and suddenly my weight that had plateaued for all of April started coming off. I actually wonder if I maybe need to eat more due to the change in activity level, but I also like that I am seeing that scale move again.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    At first it was frustrating, but after I got used to weighing and measuring, it wasn't bad at all.
    I eat what I want, as long as it fits in my day.

if I eat what I want...I would never lose...because they simply can't fit in my day...must be just me being stupid...
  • literaturelover25
    literaturelover25 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, for me its not feeling deprived or hungry. It's all the work that goes into the planning and cooking, I'm fine with the amount of calories i have and i workout if i need more, i just miss not having to think about what i eat. I've had this body long enough to know that i have to work to lose weight and i'm fine with that. some days i just don't want to work so hard.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    At first it was frustrating, but after I got used to weighing and measuring, it wasn't bad at all.
    I eat what I want, as long as it fits in my day.

if I eat what I want...I would never lose...because they simply can't fit in my day...must be just me being stupid...

Yes yes yes exactly that... I eat SOME of the things I want but could never even begin to fit them all into one day!
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, yes, I feel the same way, but then I remind myself that no one is forcing me to do this. I choose it! I choose it because I want to wear clothes that are cute, I choose it because I want to be healthy, I choose it because I don't want to be imprisoned by fat any longer. The list is really long! Then when I focus on all the things I am free to do now, and can do now because of implementing this self control, how can I feel sorry for myself? When that fails I go ahead and let myself pig out on what I want. Then I get to feel sick for two days and retain a bunch of water and feel sluggish and tired. Then I decide what I really want and quit feeling sorry for myself. It's a bigger mind game than it is physical battle. Get your mind, perspective and focus right and it's not so hard to do.
    Some tools to help when that is in place might be to find snack alternatives. While your husband is munching on chips find yourself a low calorie snack to enjoy also. I've found that I love fat free plain greek yogurt mixed with stevia, fruit, and nuts, or peanut butter, or a bazillion other things. My hubby will eat ice cream and I think, that's just fine you go ahead because I have my rich creamy yogurt! Also, I find exercise really makes eating right easier. The days I struggle the most with eating are the days I haven't exercised.
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    Sometimes, yes, I feel the same way, but then I remind myself that no one is forcing me to do this. I choose it! I choose it because I want to wear clothes that are cute, I choose it because I want to be healthy, I choose it because I don't want to be imprisoned by fat any longer. The list is really long! Then when I focus on all the things I am free to do now, and can do now because of implementing this self control, how can I feel sorry for myself? When that fails I go ahead and let myself pig out on what I want. Then I get to feel sick for two days and retain a bunch of water and feel sluggish and tired. Then I decide what I really want and quit feeling sorry for myself. It's a bigger mind game than it is physical battle. Get your mind, perspective and focus right and it's not so hard to do.
    Some tools to help when that is in place might be to find snack alternatives. While your husband is munching on chips find yourself a low calorie snack to enjoy also. I've found that I love fat free plain greek yogurt mixed with stevia, fruit, and nuts, or peanut butter, or a bazillion other things. My hubby will eat ice cream and I think, that's just fine you go ahead because I have my rich creamy yogurt! Also, I find exercise really makes eating right easier. The days I struggle the most with eating are the days I haven't exercised.

I have no problem having low calorie snacks - but in the instance of tonight, I don't have the calories for anything.

I currently don't exercise at all, so that would definitely help. :)
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options
    Remember it's not a diet but a lifestyle change. That helps me a lot
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the results I am seeing, don't get me wrong, and I know it's all about being healthier...but sometimes I just hate dieting. I would love to go and grab a soda from the fridge. To get a snack without going to all the trouble of reading labels, finding portion sizes, and then weighing. To not think about and stress over every thing that goes in my mouth. To be able to cook and bake again without knowing that it will only be a temptation. To be able to eat for pleasure again. To feel satisfied every day and not go to bed hungry. Then to know I can't do anything about these things if I want any results, so then I just feel grumpy.

I can' t be the only one who feels like this. How do you get through those times when you just don't want to diet?
    I hate it too if I had to give up what I wanted to eat. Which is why I DON'T let any clients go on a diet. I just have them reduce their portion sizes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jamiesokd
    Options

Some days that helps me a lot too, but others it makes me feel worse as in "there is no end in sight." LOL
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I passionately loathe dieting. Especially when I ate 1200, was usually hungry, grumpy and my hair shed way more than normal. ThenI had gallstones which required surgery. Extreme dieting can cause gall bladder problems. I know that now.

After a break, I've come back and have upped my calories. I stay around that limit, under or over a bit every day. I am not a fan of weighing and tracking, but I am less of a fan of staying this weight, so I'm sucking it up and putting the work in, in the hopes of finally being somewhat satisfied my body, and finding clothes that fit more easily. And not having to pay >$50 for one bra.
  • jamiesokd
    Options
    I enjoy the results I am seeing, don't get me wrong, and I know it's all about being healthier...but sometimes I just hate dieting. I would love to go and grab a soda from the fridge. To get a snack without going to all the trouble of reading labels, finding portion sizes, and then weighing. To not think about and stress over every thing that goes in my mouth. To be able to cook and bake again without knowing that it will only be a temptation. To be able to eat for pleasure again. To feel satisfied every day and not go to bed hungry. Then to know I can't do anything about these things if I want any results, so then I just feel grumpy.

I can' t be the only one who feels like this. How do you get through those times when you just don't want to diet?
    I hate it too if I had to give up what I wanted to eat. Which is why I DON'T let any clients go on a diet. I just have them reduce their portion sizes.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Is it not the same? I mean, I am eating many similar things to before - but now I pay attention to portion sizes and weigh and measure everything. Unfortunately for some foods, an appropriate portion size is 0.
  • Carley
    Carley Posts: 88
    Options

Some days that helps me a lot too, but others it makes me feel worse as in "there is no end in sight." LOL

Don't let others make you feel bad :-) you are doing this for you, not them. What kind of foods are you eating? Might give a clue why you ar hungry. Are you eating enough? Drinking enough?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Increase exercise.... That allows more calories and often helps keep me from wanting to eat all the time.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Is it not the same? I mean, I am eating many similar things to before - but now I pay attention to portion sizes and weigh and measure everything. Unfortunately for some foods, an appropriate portion size is 0.
    Similar isn't the "same as". If you like soda and are now abstaining from it, then you're more than likely going to end up craving it and hating your diet because of exclusion. Don't drink 160z. Maybe 4oz is all you can have, BUT you can still have it is the point.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jamiesokd
    Options

Don't let others make you feel bad :-) you are doing this for you, not them. What kind of foods are you eating? Might give a clue why you ar hungry. Are you eating enough? Drinking enough?

I'm eating the amount I am supposed to eat. The number is pretty much the same here, or on other sites like IIFYM. Foods, maybe I am not making good enough choices? Right now I feel like I should not be hungry. Breakfast I had a protein shake and oatmeal. Lunch was a smoothie. Then at 3pm I ate a good sized serving of roast beef and brussel sprouts. Then at 5pm, I ate more beef this time with peppers and onions and cheese. I also had a cookie for dessert. It is now 10:30 and my stomach is rumbling.

Water, I usually get enough unless it is a very busy day at work and I don't get time/breaks.
  • jamiesokd
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Similar isn't the "same as". If you like soda and are now abstaining from it, then you're more than likely going to end up craving it and hating your diet because of exclusion. Don't drink 160z. Maybe 4oz is all you can have, BUT you can still have it is the point.

IDEA Fitness member

I get what you are saying, and I do practice moderation. Like tonight, I had one cookie. In the past I would have had 2-3 cookies and I guess some days in my mind that is still abstaining and exclusion because I am not eating until I am satisfied with that food, you know what I mean?
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    nope, I enjoy the foods I eat, and I eat the foods I enjoy
    This is me too.......I don't see this as a diet....but a lifestyle change. Really...yes it does get tedious......but after eating a McDonalds burger for lunch (girl friend called it my "cheat meal" lol) and was hungry about two hours later......I was disappointed....since the meal was about 800 calories.

BUT, it was motivation to get me to work out that day, that is for darn sure!

Best way to think of this is as a lifestyle change.......not a "diet"