Is anyone using New Direction products for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• yellowdaisy3321
    yellowdaisy3321 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am starting to have a really hard time. The New Direction products have started to make me feel nauseated and I keep kicking myself out of ketosis because I just want regular food when I feel sick.

I have my 3 month appointment with him on Friday, but I am just frustrated with myself. I feel like I am doing great with workouts, and terrible with food.

:(

Hope you don't mind me chiming in. Are you taking bouillon when you feel nauseated? Our direction is if we don't feel well take a bouillon, wait 30 min and if we still don't feel well have a shake and wait 30 min. If we still don't feel well after all those things call the on call doc.

How are your weekly appts going? Is your EKG good, bloodwork, etc? How many shakes per day do you get minimum and maximum? If you're taking your minimum maybe you should try adding one of the optional ones in.

Hopefully your doc is able to get you back on track. Sorry you're feeling bad.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options
    Hello! Entering day 4 and feeling awesome. No interest in cheating.... Not even last night at the family Easter dinner. I'm on 4 products a day, 800 calories. I've been getting in all my water, thanks to Crystal Light. :) I need to lose 156 pounds so I'm guessing I'll be on the program nearly a year.

Good Luck! I'm almost to 100lbs lost and have been on the program for almost 6 mos. My husband has been on the program for almost 4 mos and has lost 75lbs. You can totally do this!
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options
    Hello. I'm glad I found this forum board. My doctor recently recommended the New Direction plan via a local hospital at my last visit. We had started talking surgery but it is not covered at all (or complications) by my insurance. I've tried everything we can come up with and I am an active person. I have horrible health insurance. Does anyone pay for the program out of pocket? How much does it cost? I saw some people mention their insurance covers it, I'm sure mine doesn't because no weight loss anything is covered, even dietitians or counseling. I have a family and do lunch prep for 2 children and then meals for everyone in the evening. How do you deal with cooking for others and not being able to eat yourself? I'm worried about gaining back all of the weight lost once real food is added back in. I am trying to weigh the pros and cons (no pun intended). The plan seems very risky and controversial.

I asked at my clinic what the out of pocket cost is and they said about $380/mo. That covers our weekly doctor appt and nutrition class and our monthly EKG and blood work. It also covers our appts with the exercise physiologist. My food runs about $100/wk (I am on an all shake plan 3x day) and that's the portion I pay that my insurance doesn't. I imagine cost will vary depending on your doctor. My son has severe food allergies so I make all his food. I've been on the program for 6 mos and I don't find it to be difficult anymore. At first I had to break myself of mindless snacking off his plate or tasting things when I cook, but now it's not an issue.

As for gaining it back my program has a maintenance portion where we continue to go to a weekly maintenance class and weigh in. We don't see the doctors weekly at that point though, but you still have your behaviorist/dietitian to help if you find that you are gaining weight or having trouble maintaining. That's $80/mo at my doctor and you attend 4-5 times a month. They follow their patients after they finish the program and have found that the patients that do 18-24 mos of maintenance are generally successful in maintaining their loss, the ones that don't generally end up back in the program.
  • Ladybug_Karen
    Ladybug_Karen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you're doing New Direction Weight Loss, feel free to add me. This is day 9 for me and I'm doing great. Is there a specific forum for New Directions? If not, we should start one. :)
  • tissy2
    tissy2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started the New Direction step light program which I feel is more sustainable. I have two meal replacements along with salad or veggies cooked or raw and a piece of fruit. In the evening I have 4oz of lean meat with a salad or veggies once again cooked or raw and a piece of fruit. I can eat as much salad as I wish so I will say it is doable. I also exercise two to three times a week.
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options
    I just started the New Direction step light program which I feel is more sustainable. I have two meal replacements along with salad or veggies cooked or raw and a piece of fruit. In the evening I have 4oz of lean meat with a salad or veggies once again cooked or raw and a piece of fruit. I can eat as much salad as I wish so I will say it is doable. I also exercise two to three times a week.

That's similar to option 1 at my clinic, except no fruit at my clinic. How are you doing?
  • mrs_dolittle
    mrs_dolittle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! My husband just started the New Direction LCD program. I'm trying to plan and prepare his meals. He was given a food exchange list but nothing that explains how to use it. It seems like he is missing something in his binder. Will call the dietitian tomorrow but I do not know what to ask for. Any help will be appreciated.
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I read "New Direction" and automatically thought of One Direction lol
  • mrs_dolittle
    mrs_dolittle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read "New Direction" and automatically thought of One Direction lol

You mean the boy band "Story of my life"? lol
  • bhinton919
    bhinton919 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been on New Directions - full liquid diet for 4 weeks. Down 20 pounds and really excited. Looking forward to my 5 week weigh in! My nutrition center provided recipes that included chicken chips, pizza and cookies. The recipes are a welcomed change from just drinking the shake. Hope you all have the recipes...if not give me a shout and I will post. :-)
  • bhinton919
    Options
    I have started a group - The Drinkers - please join!
  • yellowdaisy3321
    Options
    Hello! My husband just started the New Direction LCD program. I'm trying to plan and prepare his meals. He was given a food exchange list but nothing that explains how to use it. It seems like he is missing something in his binder. Will call the dietitian tomorrow but I do not know what to ask for. Any help will be appreciated.

Every program is slightly different depending on the doctor that you go to. What does the exchange list look like, if it's similar to mine I might be able to help.
  • WisheeNY
    WisheeNY Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Oops, I thought this was the One Direction weight loss thread.

*backs out slowly*

Lol me too! I was like what they make weight loss products?! Lol.
  • ESueM67
    ESueM67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm about to begin the New Direction program. My initial EKG and blood work are scheduled for July 9th. Behavioral assessment is on the 10th and I begin on Saturday, July 12th.

It has taken about a month to get all of my doctors to approve this weight loss program for me, and I am really looking forward to it. At the same time, I am also a little apprehensive about not eating solid food for who knows how long. I'd love to make some friends who are also doing the New Direction program for information and support!
  • bhinton919
    Options
    Hey guys - join our group "The Drinkers" for support and recipes!!!! We are here to support each other not criticize our choices!!!!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Oops, I thought this was the One Direction weight loss thread.

*backs out slowly*
    samesies(spelling?!?) oh there harmony make me want to lift more weight :noway:
  • bteitgen
    bteitgen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have also been seeing a doctor for weight loss & have been using New Direction. I have lost 60 lbs. & 40" in 7 months! I was initially on 1100 calories with 2 shakes a day & a regular dinner of high protein/low carbs. I gradually added back in a meal - so 2 regular meals with high protein/low carbs & 1 shake. I also began to add in fruits (while good carbs- still can be a lot of carbs). I am now on maintenance @ 1500 calories. I have had regular blood tests & checkups throughout this whole process. By using Myfitnesspal , I have been able to become aware of my eating habits & change them for the better. I have also been exercising regularly; trying for 1 hour, 4 times a week. When you exercise, myfitnesspal allows you more calories as does my doctor. It is the encouragement you need some days - exercise & you can eat more!

I have been very pleased with my results. Shakes with 26-27 grams of protein do make you feel full. Consider having cheese sticks, greek yogurt, & protein bars for snacks. Veggies anytime! Always drink lots of water which can also make you feel full.
  • roklifter
    roklifter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to start the New Directions program 8/1. Did blood work, etc already. This type of program isn't for everyone and if you're going to do it...seriously invest yourself emotionally, mentally and physically. Otherwise, the financial investment and time spent is wasteful. Also, as others commented, you don't *need* a weight loss program to lose weight. However, entering a program like this may be most beneficial depending on one's medical circumstances and how the program is administered.

In my local area, there are several businesses who offer 'medically supervised' weight loss programs. I specifically chose one administered through the hospital system my doctor's practice works closely with. Key requirements of this hospital's program are

1. Initial consultation with Doc to determine if you are medically healthy enough to use the program at the time being and to determine if 4 meal replacements are sufficient based on your level of activity. The doctor should be reviewing your full blood panel, EKG, existing medical conditions, medications, exercise plans, etc
    2. Monthly: Must see the program's doc w/full blood panels completed (EKG required every 50 lbs lost)
    3. Weekly: Must attend all weekly classes w/nurse visits
    4. Weekly: Detail any physical probs, med changes, probs adhering to the fast, next wk exercise plans on Review Form
    5. Daily: Must log all food/liquid intake, physical activity, extracurricular activities, mood
    6. Removed from program if you miss more than 2 weekly meetings. Fee to restart process.

The program coordinator strongly advised patients try making gradual changes in their current daily diet so transition to the program's 4 meal replacements isn't as difficult. This includes weening yourself off caffeinated products (coffee, soda, chocolate, etc), sweets and excessive carb intake. I ***DEF*** recommend at least weening off caffeine. That addiction alone can be awful for some. I had major withdrawal symptoms when quitting caffeine a couple years ago. No idea how I would survive the headaches and other systems while changing to 4 meal replacements daily...all at the same time!!! The other thing she strongly recommended was for patients to get into the habit of drinking 64 oz. of water DAILY (excluding any water used for meals).

Don't waste your time or money if not serious about making a lifestyle change. Food intake usually isn't the issue. Its the emotional and mental problems usually at the root of obesity. If you're not ready to address that side of things, don't expect the physical efforts to happen.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    NKOTB are better than 1D
  • Gem1ni619
    Gem1ni619 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have started this product on 7/2. I was successful but by the beginning of this week I have eaten regular food almost everyday. I am on 800/calories (4meal replacements a day) and at least 64oz of water. Any tips to stay on track because I am really struggling
This discussion has been closed.