Eating Back Exercise Calories

Options

Replies

• Raineyva
    Raineyva Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am so happy I found this post, I am struggling so much. I am walking and am up to 5 miles a day five days a week. Walking is such a light exercise and I just don't "believe" that I can eat back the calories that my FITBIT and my fitness pal says I can. I have been MILITANT about staying at 1200 calories regardless of my walks and I have not lost any weight for almost three weeks. I'm very tired at night and feel weak so I've started to eat just a little bit more. Still no weight loss. I feel crazy! I'm going to try to eat the calories and pay attention to the net. I'm hoping to break this plateau, right now I'm so down on myself!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that the closer you get to goal weight, the slower your expected rate of loss should become. With less then 20 pounds to go, for example, wanting to lose 2 pounds a week is generally* ill-advised.

*Some exceptions may apply.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If I do it's not on purpose. I don't believe what the calculators say as far as how many calories I've burned through exercise. If I eat more I eat more. I don't exercise just so I can eat more. I do it because I like it and to remain fit and healthy.
  • bunnydumpling
    bunnydumpling Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This same thing happened to me, but over a course of about 8 years, give or take, at a more extreme measure. There were no sites back then like MFP or caloriecount, etc.

I really made myself sick to say the least...My body was and still doing this thing where I have hypoglycemia on a daily basis, at least one episode every other day, which means that I need to eat and I get these nasty headaches instead of my stomach growling. I used to get them everyday, all day, which was complete hell. It's taken a few years for them to go away. Stomach flu is NO PROBLEM because feeling nauseous every day is complete torture.

On top of that I have a high blood sugar blood problem and a possible hypothyroid problem (doesn't run in my family on either side, period). Don't know how this is connected but I guess netting 200 plus or minus calories on a daily basis puts your body on conservation mode and your body starts to triage and pick and choose which functions must go. My body didn't see that fat must go not hormone production, etc.

But the least of my problems is the 30+ lb weight gain...I've lost about half of that but it's been soo hard to lose the rest.

I don't know how I will lose the rest because, oh yeah, now I also have a complex and am afraid to eat back the calories! I'm still working on taking the plunge and just doing it because my weight hasn't budged and now is slowly creeping up. Eating back most of my calories did work when I was working with a registered dietitian.

To anyone who is curious, I would say eat and enjoy yourself! Eat eat eat! I have a good friend who I knew since my skinny days and she lost over 60 pounds just by cutting out sugar/soda and eating the way she always did (veggies, complex carbs, lean protein). She just works out so she can eat more and she's a size 0! When I started restricting my calories and obsessing over losing 5 pounds, that's when all hell broke loose.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I get so confused. My nutritionist said not to eat back exercise calories. For my weight, I should be losing faster but it only averages about 1 lbs a week (which I know is good). BUT, I would like maybe 2lbs a week and am most of the time not eating my exercise calories back. I will have to do some testing on the theory and see how I do.

Is your nutritionist having you use MFP to calculate your goal, or giving you a calorie goal and just telling you to use MFP to keep track?
  • elizabethblakend
    Options
    I don't have an issue accumulating calories while eating healthily. If you incorporate healthy fats and lots of protein (along with veggies/fruits of course) you will see the calories add up. Eat 1/2 an avocado or some nuts - they have lots of healthy calories that help keep you fuller longer. Protein is also an expensive (if counting calories) but necessary addition to every meal. Even the leanest ground turkey is at least 150 calories for me for a meal. I like to exercise everyday just so I can eat more too ;) If I don't, even 1500 calories is not enough of a budget per day...considering that every meal is 300-500 calories that leaves little room for even healthy drinks and snacks. Good luck!
  • danahubley
    danahubley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Reading your post was like reading all about what's been going on with me the last month or so. I was hesitant to post because of all the differing opinions out there as well. Thank you so much for the info.:smile:
  • vampchic6
    vampchic6 Posts: 8
    Options
    Ok so for someone who has only been dieting for a month and a half or there abouts and i've lost a stone and have LOTS more to lose, let me see if i can grasp this.

Todays exercise, cardio and strength training, has made me lose 685 calories.
    My daily goal is 1450 although i very rarely eat that much as im full.
    My net calories are 708.

There have been times my net calories have been negative and at 150-300 but im very full.
    I eat a lot of tuna and salmon and it fills me up quite nicely to the point that i couldnt eat back those calories without making myself feel sick.
    But should I anyway? And its probably a lame and childish question but, if we're allowed to eat the calories back...whats the point in burning the calories off? o.O

So basically, should my net calories be 1200 minimum or not? :noway:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Ok so for someone who has only been dieting for a month and a half or there abouts and i've lost a stone and have LOTS more to lose, let me see if i can grasp this.

Todays exercise, cardio and strength training, has made me lose 685 calories.
    My daily goal is 1450 although i very rarely eat that much as im full.
    My net calories are 708.

There have been times my net calories have been negative and at 150-300 but im very full.
    I eat a lot of tuna and salmon and it fills me up quite nicely to the point that i couldnt eat back those calories without making myself feel sick.
    But should I anyway? And its probably a lame and childish question but, if we're allowed to eat the calories back...whats the point in burning the calories off? o.O

So basically, should my net calories be 1200 minimum or not? :noway:

Once again MFP DOES NOT INCLUDE EXERCISE in the amount it gives you to eat. This is so you would lose weight if you were not able to exercise at all. When you eat back exercise calories you are still maintaining the calorie deficit to lose weight.

Other methods of losing weight include the exercise in what you need, so you don't "eat back calories".

Example:

1450 (the amount MFP tells you to eat that has a calorie deficit built in so you lose weight)
    -500 (the amount you burned in exercise)
    +500 (the amount more you ate for exercise)
    =1450 (you still have the same amount of deficit that you started with to lose x amount of pounds per week which you chose as your goal)
  • vampchic6
    Options
    Thanks, ok bare with me, whats the net calories about? If like today my net calories are 708 do i just leave it because technically ive eaten over 1300?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ok bare with me, whats the net calories about? If like today my net calories are 708 do i just leave it because technically ive eaten over 1300?

You are supposed to NET 1450.

So in the example I gave above:

1450 (the amount MFP tells you to eat that has a calorie deficit built in so you lose weight)
    =1450 (you still have the same amount of deficit that you started with to lose x amount of pounds per week which you chose as your goal) THIS IS YOUR NET CALORIES

Since you didn't eat more for exercise, it is telling you that your net is 708. You need to eat 742 more calories to net 1450.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I went to a dietitian. I work out 3 times a week (weights) for about an hour and tend to do one cardio for about 30 minutes. I eat 2100 calories a day - 138g P, 64g Fat & 258g Carb. The goal is to lost 1 pound a week. I'm down 7 pounds in 7 weeks. I weight 185.5 pounds, 5'6" and am 45. I don't eat back my calories as she put them in my daily routine for the week. I've been "happy" on this method of eating. I shoot for the calories as my primary objective, then protein and fat - i also try to limit added sugar to 25 grams a day ( fruit and milk sugars are not counted). This works for me and has pushed me to eat more nutrient rich foods. I see men on here eating 1200 calories who are a lot bigger than me and i just never understand why they put themselves through it. I'll admit that trips to McDonalds are limited because of fat, pieces of cake are limited because of sugar but overall i still do have some of those things and i enjoy them when i do. I guess I just want to say that weight loss doesn't have to be a miserable experience, Sometime it can be about learning to eat to maintain weight for life.
  • vampchic6
    Options

You are supposed to NET 1450.

So in the example I gave above:

=1450 (you still have the same amount of deficit that you started with to lose x amount of pounds per week which you chose as your goal) THIS IS YOUR NET CALORIES

Since you didn't eat more for exercise, it is telling you that your net is 708. You need to eat 742 more calories to net 1450.

Now that i understood, plain simple talking, no contradictions, thank you, much appreciated :)
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: You are not stupid! Many people are confused about this at the beginning of their weight loss journey. Thank you for sharing this very important information. This was extremely helpful. Thank You!!!:smile:
  • MariadfdCruz
    MariadfdCruz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I hope you are still around to see the replies here. Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. A lot of people do that, so no way you are stupid. Or we all are. I also did that mistake, but my consequence is not so clear as yours. It is just hard now to loose weight, no matter what I eat and I feel frustrated. Your post helped me today to keep on trying to loose weight with 1200 cal. I suppose that I just need to be patient that the dropping of weight and to be in shape will come, doing the right thing.
  • samaranicolew
    samaranicolew Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The "eating your calories back" scenario wasn't something I grasped in the beginning. I first started using fitness pal about 8 mos ago. I would eat about 1400 calories and then exercise off about 400-500. That would leave me with a net of about 1000 calories per day (some days it was as high as 1100). I lost a few pounds but I was finding it harder and harder to do my workouts or even get through daily activities. I also hurt terribly after every workout and eventually stopped dieting and exercising altogether (because I was soooo drained). I'm halfway glad I did bc I could have done more damage continuing on that route. Now that I know that I should consume the calories that I worked off (to stay in line with my calorie goal) I feel way better and the weight loss is occurring quicker. Learning this was a relief and makes a healthy eating/ exercise lifestyle more enjoyable.
  • SkinandFit
    Options
    So glad I came across this, I was still a bit confused on the whole daily goal vs. net vs. exercise calories. My goal is 1440 daily, I was netting 700 or so when I first started (a few weeks ago), but I was also feeling weak and miserable like some of you stated. I started getting hunger headaches and would end up eating later in the evening after my cut off point to stave it. After the first week I started eating more overall and netting around 1300, I felt guilty but much better. And I did notice the weight started coming off when I did this (finally lost 3 lbs), so I had the feeling this is what I should have been doing to begin with. Glad my suspicions were confirmed. This is so important for newbies like me on here.
  • jamieses
    jamieses Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi, I'm a bit confused at the moment and have a few questions but first I'll tel you a bit about my journey. I started dieting January this year i weighed 196lbs my goal is around 155lbs I'm male and 5,9. At first i i used a simple equation of 10-12 calories per lb of total body weight, i went for 10 which gave me a total of 1960 calories per day. I exercised not strictly but whenever i could half hour jog in the morning half hour walk at night etc to start with and lost 2/3 lbs per week and every time i lost weight i re adjusted my calories like when i got to 180 lbs i ate 1800 calories per day. Cut a long story short whilst being in the 170s my weight loss have slowed down tremendously and I've continued to adjust calories to the point where my calories are going down but my weight isn't I'm hovering around the 174/172lbs mark I'm eating around 1500-1560 calories per day I'm walking and swimming most days, i swim for and hour and walk for up to 2 hours (cant jog at the moment as i have a back injury).

Questions
    1. Am i eating too few calories?
    2. Am i exercising enough?
    3. Ive heard about NET calories and i understand to a certain extent but say for example my net is 1650 and i burn 350 does that mean i should eat 2000? If that's the case why cant i just eat 1650 and sit on my butt?
    4. Cant you just eat say for me 1720 per day which is 10 kcals per total body weight and exercise whenever you can, the more the better obviously?

Thanks
  • arlene73
    arlene73 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am one of those people who did not understand why I could eat more after exercising. Now I understand, thanks again
  • CheekyChairM
    CheekyChairM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE!! I always sort of felt guilty eating back the calories I excercised off, but now it makes total sense. MFP is accounting for weight loss without us being able to excercise at all. Thank you all for explaining this in laymans terms! :):flowerforyou: