Do you ever just hate dieting?

Options

Replies

• vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I also like to play a little game of finding new treats that I enjoy, little things like lime in my water or whatever I would never have thought to try had I not been experimenting with my eating.

^^LOVE^^ Experimenting is the first step to figuring out healthy solutions to unhealthy "wants."

I, too, hate dieting. I hate the temptations, smelling pizza from the office pizza party or my co-worker's lunch. I hate spending hours shopping, cooking, packing, planning... I hate all of the things.

That's why diets don't work for me. I can't deal with hearing "no" all of the time, I do what I want :-). Here's how I learned to say "yes" to my cravings without damaging progress.

I have a little notebook that I carry with me every day. Whenever I crave something... soda, snacks, etc... I write down the thing I'm craving, trigger that prompted the craving, what about the item seemed so appealing, what I did to respond to the craving, and how effective was my response. This is an example from 10 mins ago...

Thing: Diet Coke
    Trigger: Coworker going to Subway
    Appealing: Caffeine, cold, BUBBLES!!! (I love bubbles)
    Response: Iced coffee then a sparkling water
    Effectiveness: No longer want diet coke.

After awhile I started to train my brain that there is always an adequate substitute to a "bad food" and there is no need to succumb to the craving. This method has also given me a way of documenting several different options to respond to the same craving. When I want soda, I know that I just want something bubbly and/or energy-boosting. I could have just as easily satisfied this craving with kombucha or some other hippie crap.

Get creative!

Pizza is a huge trigger for me. I now know that popcorn sprinkled with sea salt, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder takes care of the need-for-cheesy-carbness. When I smell french fries, I just make a baked sweet potato in the microwave and sprinkle sea salt on it. When the hubby is noshing on a cheese plate, I have sliced tofu with fresh tomatoes.

When you know your cravings and you know reasonable substitutions, it makes it so much easier to plan your shopping and your meals. Those who plan, win.
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Ignorance is bliss! ;)
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    If I had just started a new job I'd probably be extra-cranky about the extra work too (extra work from watching food, I mean). I think you did a good thing by getting on here to "talk"/vent about it rather than eating. It's always a good distraction!

As for your comment about not being able to run into a store and grab a salad due to it not having calories listed/cannot measure. Not sure if this would help in your situation, but I have taken home something not listed, weighed out the components and then the next time I know what it will be. Of course that only works with things that are pretty standardized, but it's an idea.

It sounds a lot like you are hitting on some ideas you can maybe work on to make it easier for you (preparation, getting used to the new schedule with new job, etc).

Of course when all else fails I think it fair to come on here and commiserate. I think someone posted they'd be the 600lb person if they ate what they wanted all the time and I hear that! I love me some vegetables but can love me an entire pizza too LOL!!

So yeah, it's all mental, we can think it's not that bad, but that's really just us thinking it. We still aren't getting to eat all the foods no matter how "satisfied" we are with that decision :)

Edit to correct: I dunno WTF is my issue with spelling "hear" when I mean "here".. grumble grumble
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    yes at times it is tedious and oh, how i remember the days of wild abandon...i also remember not being able to tie my shoes, not being able to climb a flight of stairs, buying clothes that were just hideous, feeling frumpy, worrying about booths, airplanes, seatbelts, well the list goes on.

eta: i still have moments of wild abandon, they are just fewer and farther apart. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the results I am seeing, don't get me wrong, and I know it's all about being healthier...but sometimes I just hate dieting. I would love to go and grab a soda from the fridge. To get a snack without going to all the trouble of reading labels, finding portion sizes, and then weighing. To not think about and stress over every thing that goes in my mouth. To be able to cook and bake again without knowing that it will only be a temptation. To be able to eat for pleasure again. To feel satisfied every day and not go to bed hungry. Then to know I can't do anything about these things if I want any results, so then I just feel grumpy.

I can' t be the only one who feels like this. How do you get through those times when you just don't want to diet?
    I hate it too if I had to give up what I wanted to eat. Which is why I DON'T let any clients go on a diet. I just have them reduce their portion sizes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Is it not the same? I mean, I am eating many similar things to before - but now I pay attention to portion sizes and weigh and measure everything. Unfortunately for some foods, an appropriate portion size is 0.
    Similar isn't the "same as". If you like soda and are now abstaining from it, then you're more than likely going to end up craving it and hating your diet because of exclusion. Don't drink 160z. Maybe 4oz is all you can have, BUT you can still have it is the point.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I get what you are saying, and I do practice moderation. Like tonight, I had one cookie. In the past I would have had 2-3 cookies and I guess some days in my mind that is still abstaining and exclusion because I am not eating until I am satisfied with that food, you know what I mean?
    The mind is more in charge of "satisfaction" than the body. It takes time, but once moderation portions are habitual, satisfaction will follow. Especially when you know you didn't over do it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, that you shouldn't deny yourself all the things you love - but I also sympathize with the low daily calorie goal (1200 for me).

I always fantasize about coming across a genie:

my first wish would be to have the ability to eat whatever I want and never workout (but I could eat right and workout if I wanted to) but to have the body of a super healthy person that also looks like a movie star's body.

my second wish would probably be to have a career that I love that also makes a ton of money and doesn't require me to sacrifice any of the things I care about (moving away from my loved ones, for example).

my third wish would be for health and happiness for all my loved ones.

I'm selfish, I know those wishes could go toward ending world hunger or child abuse, but what's the point of fantasizing if I'm going to be selfless?
  • socialdchic
    socialdchic Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I get like that too, i think we all do BUT last time i ate something i wanted it make me feel like **** and i realized I dont want to feel like that and I am on a good track and that craving of food or whatever lasts a few mins then goes away... its like quitting smoking all over again haha ;P
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I hate it too if I had to give up what I wanted to eat. Which is why I DON'T let any clients go on a diet. I just have them reduce their portion sizes.

That doesn't work for those of us with very little to lose. I'm at 1200 net cals per day, my portion sizes aren't an issue. I have to limit my intake of certain calorie-dense foods if I want to lose weight.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    you'll get used to it. when you have logged your food for some time, you pretty much already know what you can eat and you don't have to use the scale and read labels so much.
    Idk, I eat less calories than you but I still find that I can enjoy treats. And I know that if I want to have fun with friends one night and eat all the foods and drinks, it wont ruin everything. :3 Every day is a new start right?
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want in moderation. You can also have treats every once in a while too and an occasional cheat day ( but not too many ). Maybe you aren't allowing yourself enough calories? Sometimes the slower the weight loss, the better. But that is up to you.

I lost weight eating what I want. I eat muffins everyday, but I make them myself using applesauce in place of oil and butter, and I know exactly what's going inside my muffins. I eat sweets, but do not eat large portions of them.

I have friends on MFP who seem to have sad diets; I feel bad for them when I see the restrictive diets they are on, but I am supportive of them so I don't say anything.

I'm a pretty small person and I got to my size ( 5'3.5" and 106 lbs ) eating a diet that was not too restrictive. In the beginning I restricted but I slowly upped my calories and found I could still lose weight every week on 1400-1600 calories as opposed to some dumb little 1200 calorie thing. But I'm also very active.
  • priyavelu
    priyavelu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to hate dieting in the past when I was not getting enough fiber in my diet.
    Aim for 10gms of fiber in every meal -cravings will fade.
    You can easily control your urge to eat ice -cream or chips.
    Start your day with a high fiber breakfast for example rolled oats , cooked with slivered almonds,dry fruits etc.
    Start making these changes and feel the difference.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    nope, I enjoy the foods I eat, and I eat the foods I enjoy

and so could I if I had a daily calorie goal like yours, lol. I only get to eat a little over half that.

I have roughly the same calorie intake as this guy. I love exercising and making it a bigger part of my life has relieved stress and decreased my emotional eating. Plus, I can fit almost whatever I want into my daily intake. I'm never hungry as long as I eat pretty healthy and control my portions most of the time.
  • movegrooveandwatchthefood
    Options
    I like what you said about tinkering with new things that have low calories like putting lime in your water. I particularly like the drink "Sparkling Ice" which has no calories and comes in many flavors. It makes me feel like I have have had a treat without totally blowing it. Which I have been doing a lot of lately. I need to get back on track but depriving myself for months on end makes me go insane and I can't stop the train wreck of eating high calorie foods so I have been overcompensating in exercise. Am I getting anywhere? I don't know. The scale said I gained 3 pounds overnight. I think it is just a matter of figuring out what is most important and setting your mind on the goal. And also having food ready to eat when you are hungry even if it is just fruit so you won't binge.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yeah it sucks to watch others snack and you limited....I feel ya.

But it comes down to choices and what you want and what your goals are.....

If your goal is to lose weight, then you have to do the heavy lifting and be disciplined....
    The weight doesn't magically drop off.

Oh, I know it doesn't happen by magic, LOL, that is why I am sitting here on MFP not eating, but feeling grumpy that I can't. lol

As for lifting, I see so many here that lift and I would like to try it - but its the matter of finding the time and money for the gym. I've been attempting to do some body weight exercises but that is about it.

You don't need a gym membership or expensive equipment to begin lifting. Try New Rules of Lifting For Women and some inexpensive dumbbells. It's a good start as most of the lifts can be modified for at home use.

Edited to add actual post, haha.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    lol @ anyone that says they like dieting...

edit
    trying to eat under 3200Cals extremely hard!!!!
  • yeldirahsas
    yeldirahsas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes - I am with you. I hate dieting. I hate planning ahead and reading the menu and going for the "light" options while everyone is chowing down on their cheese-smothered whatever. I love cheese-smothered whatever. I hate counting calories. I hate cooking. I hate chopping vegetables. I hate surfing the internet for yet another lean meat and veggie recipe. I hate passing on the donuts at work. I hate getting iced tea at Starbucks instead of a frappe-cino-whip-whatever. I miss milkshakes. I hate the extra work and complexity that is required in order to put a healthy and additive free dinner on the table. More than anything, I hate what this country has become with respect to our food supply. I hate that 99 percent of what is in the grocery store is a bunch of additive/processed crap that is so delicious and so unhealthy at the same time. I hate that the stuff you are supposed to buy (on the outside aisles of the store- meat, veggies, etc) is covered in pesticides or plumped up with hormones in inhumane conditions. I hate that "diet" food is basically sugar alcohols and chemicals.

Whew. I feel better now!
  • coboltpunch
    coboltpunch Posts: 15
    Options
    I miss pizza.
  • Dagnova
    Dagnova Posts: 68
    Options
    Do I ever hate dieting? Well, like others have said, I don't really think of what I'm doing as dieting. I'm doing a lifestyle change, and I really love making that change! Sometimes it's a bit tough, but if I feel really bad then I just listen to my body and eat a bit more. I think it's important to listen to my body.

It does take willpower to do this thing, but that's mostly for making the changes and sticking with them for some time so they become new habits. For example in order to remove a habit from my lifestyle I've decided to not eat any junk food - I frequently ate french fries and pizza - and it took a while to get used to it, but now, a month later, it's no problem at all. I replaced this food with my own home-cooked meals with a lot of vegetables and some meat or fish. I love cooking for myself again and the taste is so much better than oven pizza!

Also I exercise a lot and I wouldn't say that I exercise just to burn calories. There's many more important reasons why I exercise, mental and physical, but in the first place I do it because I really enjoy it! And yes sometimes I don't want to go, but I always know that when I go, I'll enjoy it within 5-10 minutes.

I understand that you may interpret this as dieting, and you may not be completely wrong, but the big difference with me is that I don't focus just on weight loss, but more holistic - I want to become happy, fit, disciplined, strong, healthy, energetic, good looking. Not just x kg lower. Weight loss does help with many of these things, but so does changing what I eat and do not eat, exercise and a lot more. Like I said, it's a lifestyle change.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You just need to watch this documentary. It explains that once you lose, your mind will start to fight you like crazy, giving you the hungries and making everything look really tempting and taste even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    Ya, I know what you are saying here. I used to feel this way.