My mother has no idea how weight loss works

Options
2»

Replies

• nairedavis
    nairedavis Posts: 30
    Options
    Naire is it that your Mom cooks the meals for everyone and determines what you have at meal time, etc?

Yeah. If I had my own place, I think I would have more freedom in my decision on what I should eat. But I'm a recent college grad with no job, sooo...*shrug*
  • nairedavis
    Options
    Me and my mom have started our weight loss journey together. My first attempt last year worked for a bit and then I fell off the wagon. So we're gonna do this together. My mom says that we're going to do this her way, which means eating only 1 meal a day and no snacking on healthy food throughout the day. I'm trying to tell her that that's not healthy and eating that little, will only cause your body to go into starvation mode, but she says I don't know what I'm talking about. Apparently this method worked for her after she gave birth to my younger brother. However, this method doesn't work for me.

So I really don't know what to do. Help please?
    How incredible it is that you and your mother want to do this weight loss journey together.

However, you are incorrect about starvation mode. That happens when you have lost a certain percentage of fat and muscle and you are pretty much emaciated. Overweight and normal people don't go into starvation mode, and its not based on how often during the day you eat or the number of calories.

Why don't you tell your mom what YOU plan to do to lose weight and then love her and support her in the way she wants to lose weight. Some people do only eat one or two meals a day, other people eat several times a day, and they all lose weight.

Thanks for the info. I see that I was misinformed about that. And I think that's what I may do.
  • nairedavis
    Options
    guess you about to be hungry then

Basically. She plans on only eating a saucer full of food once a day. And I've tried telling her that's not healthy but apparently, I have no idea what I'm talking about.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Naire is it that your Mom cooks the meals for everyone and determines what you have at meal time, etc?

Yeah. If I had my own place, I think I would have more freedom in my decision on what I should eat. But I'm a recent college grad with no job, sooo...*shrug*

Haha. This was me 10 years ago and my lazy butt didn't like cooking or anything really

So you don't have a job or your own place. Can your job be cooking, cleaning and errand running? I've yet to meet a Momma who wouldn't appreciate that :laugh: If you're helping cook the meals I'm sure you'd get more of a say in how some of this plays out? Imagine being Mom and all she has to do to lose weight is show up eat some prepared meals that she didn't have to lift a finger! Propose this and see what happens :wink:
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Make it a healthy competition where you do it your way and she does it her (insane) way. If you both have success, but she's sees you still enjoying your favorite foods, having energy, and not starving, perhaps she'll switch over to your way.

I agree with this, tell her "Ok, Mom, let's make it a challenge. We obviously don't agree, so you do it your way, I'll do it my way, in a month we will compare weight and measurements and see who lost the bigger %, and who is miserable and ready to give up".

Oh I see so now she is not losing weight WITH her mom, but AGAINST her mom. It's summer and it gets hot and I kinda don't want to see her mom have health problems.

What if they agreed to do their own tiing for ONE WEEK during which they researched and collected information from this site and then at the end of the week, they have a meeting of the minds and fine tune their method and agree on some method? I feel like the "doing it together" aspect is what they are after.

Like the convenience of eating places together or buying foods in bulk etc. Not sure, just a guess.

I like the idea in theory but in practice I wouldn't let my meal or diet choices be restricted to what I can get another person to agree to.

Plus people tend to "research" on sites that confirm the beliefs they already good. Her mom could spend the week watching YouTube videos of freelee the banana girl and then come back with a 80/10/10 meal plan, for all we know.

Lecturing her mom on other ways could just make her mom more determined to do it her way. Lead by example instead and answer questions when asked

Okay but she should IMO still watch her momma for signs of dehydration depending on where they live b/c eating ONCE a day and not even snacking even if it's healthy foods seems like too many hours to go without anything and pretty scary from my experience.

Millions of people eat only once a day. Some peopel prefer it. Meal time is inconsequential as long as you're meeting your needs and feel comfortable with how often you eat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    guess you about to be hungry then

Basically. She plans on only eating a saucer full of food once a day. And I've tried telling her that's not healthy but apparently, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

get a job at a fast food place. eat off the dollar menu. lose weight like clockwork while eating for free.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Make it a healthy competition where you do it your way and she does it her (insane) way. If you both have success, but she's sees you still enjoying your favorite foods, having energy, and not starving, perhaps she'll switch over to your way.

I agree with this, tell her "Ok, Mom, let's make it a challenge. We obviously don't agree, so you do it your way, I'll do it my way, in a month we will compare weight and measurements and see who lost the bigger %, and who is miserable and ready to give up".

Oh I see so now she is not losing weight WITH her mom, but AGAINST her mom. It's summer and it gets hot and I kinda don't want to see her mom have health problems.

What if they agreed to do their own tiing for ONE WEEK during which they researched and collected information from this site and then at the end of the week, they have a meeting of the minds and fine tune their method and agree on some method? I feel like the "doing it together" aspect is what they are after.

Like the convenience of eating places together or buying foods in bulk etc. Not sure, just a guess.

I like the idea in theory but in practice I wouldn't let my meal or diet choices be restricted to what I can get another person to agree to.

Plus people tend to "research" on sites that confirm the beliefs they already good. Her mom could spend the week watching YouTube videos of freelee the banana girl and then come back with a 80/10/10 meal plan, for all we know.

Lecturing her mom on other ways could just make her mom more determined to do it her way. Lead by example instead and answer questions when asked

Okay but she should IMO still watch her momma for signs of dehydration depending on where they live b/c eating ONCE a day and not even snacking even if it's healthy foods seems like too many hours to go without anything and pretty scary from my experience.

Millions of people eat only once a day. Some peopel prefer it. Meal time is inconsequential as long as you're meeting your needs and feel comfortable with how often you eat.

Meeting the needs seems to be the issue here, her Mom seems determined to eat a very very small amount of food.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Meeting the needs seems to be the issue here, her Mom seems determined to eat a very very small amount of food.

I wonder if Mom just wants to *cook* a very small amount of food and can now finally do this without child services being called :laugh:
  • lucful
    lucful Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My mom was the same until she saw I was eating a lot more than she was, feeling great and loosing while she was gaining and felt like crap. She still is stubborn, but she cant deny the results. Sometimes I think she just wants to be hardheaded to get back at me for when I was a kid.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    One of the major disadvantages of your mother's 1 meal a day plan is overeating. She will be SO hungry and SO fixated on food that she will have trouble staying under her calorie goal.
    Your idea to have several healthy meals & snacks throughout the day will keep that under control.
    Planning a couple snacks of healthy foods is a good idea. Yogurt, a piece of cheese, fruit, nuts, hard boiled egg, even a bowl of cereal... Try for things with protein, fat, or fiber to help you feel full longer. Nuts have healthy fat.

- Does she (& do you) know what a healthy weight is?
    Here's a BMI calculator. Plug in how tall you are, and how much you weigh, and it will tell you your BMI. It also shows where that number falls on the normal / overweight / obese range. Then you can put in smaller & smaller numbers for weight until you get the BMI under 25. There's your goal weight. Once you're there, see if you want to adjust up or down a bit.
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmicalc.htm

- Does she (& do you) understand a healthy rate ot weight loss? (generally 1-2 lb per week)

- Does she (& do you) understand how to achieve that?
    (3500 calories = 1 lb; so if you're under your daily needs by 500 calories - either by controlling what you eat or exercising more, or a combination - you'll lose that pound in a week.)

My doctor & nutritionist say the fast & easy way to estimate how many calories you need is to multiply your weight by 10.
    If someone weighs 250 lb, they need about 2500 cal per day to maintain that weight.
    Eating 2000 cal per day would be a 500 cal shortfall, times 7 days gives you that 3500 cal to lose 1 lb in a week.
    Then factor in exercise, and you'll be losing even more. (But controlling what you eat is the most important! It took me 30 min on the elliptical today to work off 380 calories. I can eat that back in 5 minutes with a PBJ.)

The other way to approach it is to figure out a healthy goal weight and eat that many calories. Your body will adjust to that weight.
    (In my case, I'm aiming for 165, which will put me toward the top end of a healthy BMI range, so my goal is 1700 cal, not accounting for exercise. I'll give myself some wiggle room of maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of my exercise calories. If I want to eat that much extra, I won't feel bad about it, but I don't have to eat them.)

Here are several resources about healthy weight from the CDC.
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/tools/index.html
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Another disadvantage of only eating once a day is that it takes an incredible amount of willpower.
    She's going to run out, give up, and eat to satisfy her hunger.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Another disadvantage of only eating once a day is that it takes an incredible amount of willpower.
    She's going to run out, give up, and eat to satisfy her hunger.

That depends on the person, and what becomes your new norm.

It takes zero willpower for me to eat once a day. Heck there were plenty of times in my late teens/early 20's where I was so busy with school and work that it was right natural, without building any effort up.
  • domansell
    domansell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've lived at home attempting to loose weight with my mum, it did not go so well, because her ideas and mine did not match. Consider taking turns at cooking the main meal at night, depending on your days activities breakfast and lunch can be fend for yourself (or not depending on diet selection). If you find yourself making breakfast/lunch an your mum is picking at your meal, quietly make her the same (or offer her yours and make another for you). She doesn't need her failure waved like a flag before her.

Remember the point of loosing weight together is sharing the highs and lows, and having a buddy to get you out of bed in the morning for that jog together.

Find a compromise and start there, otherwise your both likely to head for failure together, as no one is watching what their doing.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    im on my weightloss journey with my mum too. however she didnt have as much to lose and is already half way to her goal where as i have barely dented my journey. which is a bit disheartening. nevermind. were actually doing different methods but we weigh in together and moan together too :) good luck to you both. do your own thing. mums are stubborn creatures. x
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Eating once per day won't hurt her. I've known some people who have done that successfully. But that one meal was like 2500 calories, not the lovely leaf of lettuce that I'm betting her mom is planning on eating.

But no one starves to death in a house full of food. The biggest problem with those ultra restrictive diet plans is the lack of adherence. Her mom will lose a ton in the first two weeks and they'll be no way to talk her into something different. And then week 4 rolls around and she assaults a neighbor's kid for their French fries and a week long binge later, the whole diet is busted and the remorse sets in. That will be the time to discuss a better way.

had to laugh, as have done similar to this myself in the past!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    Apparently this method worked for her after she gave birth to my younger brother. However, this method doesn't work for me.

Apparently it didn't work, otherwise she would not be needing to lose weight again
    Please don't take her advice on eating like that and damage your body

Lets be real though, most of the people doing the calorie counting "right way" route will also regain some, if not all (and then some), of their weight.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Apparently this method worked for her after she gave birth to my younger brother. However, this method doesn't work for me.

Apparently it didn't work, otherwise she would not be needing to lose weight again
    Please don't take her advice on eating like that and damage your body

Lets be real though, most of the people doing the calorie counting "right way" route will also regain some, if not all (and then some), of their weight.

Not to mention, "little" brother could be 22 years old by now!!