Getting emotional at the gym?

Please tell me if any of you all have this problem!

When I'm at the gym, especially on the treadmill, I get really emotional. I'm not having emotional thoughts really, but I feel like I'm going to cry even though I'm not in any sort of pain . . .

Thankfully it doesn't actually develop into crying but I would feel a lot better knowing it happens to other people. Thanks in advance for any replies~

Yes, I'm a woman and not that it is any of your business but: it is not my time of the month so that's not the reason.

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member

When I'm at the gym, especially on the treadmill, I get really emotional. I'm not having emotional thoughts really, but I feel like I'm going to cry even though I'm not in any sort of pain . . .

Thankfully it doesn't actually develop into crying but I would feel a lot better knowing it happens to other people. Thanks in advance for any replies~

Yes, I'm a woman and not that it is any of your business but: it ISN'T my time of the month so that's not the reason.

Wow. Defensive much? No one had even responded yet, so let's chill out just a hair.

Beyond that, I have no idea how to help. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,724 Member

Yes, I'm a woman and not that it is any of your business but: it ISN'T my time of the month so that's not the reason.

Maybe it's endorphins kicking in? Emotional sad or...? I notice I sometimes get emotional during a workout but it's just listening to great music and being thoroughly happy, really in the moment, feeling like I'm in my element :)

Time of month is actually pretty relevant with a randomly emotional female, thanks for noticing and addressing up front!
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    Wow. Defensive much? No one had even responded yet, so let's chill out just a hair.

I don't think I was being outlandish. One of the first responses a woman gets if they say they're upset is, "Are you PMSing?" or something flippant like "go buy some tampons." Then again, I'm 22, and I mostly hang out around younger guys, so that's probably why.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    hmmm I once got all super proud of myself for getting a PR deadlift
  • Janautical
    Maybe it's endorphins kicking in? Emotional sad or...? I notice I sometimes get emotional during a workout but it's just listening to great music and being thoroughly happy, really in the moment, feeling like I'm in my element :)

Time of month is actually pretty relevant with a randomly emotional female, thanks for noticing and addressing up front!
    That makes a lot of sense. It's more like an "overwhelmed" feeling, not necessarily sad, so the endorphins thing probably is the reason why. Thanks!
  • mbennett024
    mbennett024 Posts: 53 Member
    This has happened to me a couple times during intense workouts, idk why though.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    I do it. When I think how far I've come...how hard I've worked...and what I'll look like when all is said and done. I leak happy tears. I cried after I crossed the finish line of my first 5K and I'm tearing up now remembering it. But then it just happened Saturday.

I'm not even PMsing anymore either. LOL.
  • I've experienced this. I blame a build up of stress that gets released when I did cardio. Mine passed in 5 minutes or so.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member

The OP's statement didn't strike me as defensive at all. :confused:

I get emotional when I work out too. I don't know why. I would guess it has something to do with endorphins and/or a subconscious emotional state you're in (as in, all you're telling yourself is "I'm doing really well! This is faster than I went last week!" But in that statement there's a hidden emotional "I've come so far! I have worked so hard and it's paying off!" Or "I'm working so hard and I am afraid I'll never get to xyz goal!" Or something.)
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    i think it could be the endorphins getting released, and when exercising you have a lot of time to think as well- anything that's on your mind that you dont have much time to think about during your day might hang around your mind. i have cried on the treadmill at the gym a few times- (luckily nobody noticed).
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member

That makes a lot of sense. It's more like an "overwhelmed" feeling, not necessarily sad, so the endorphins thing probably is the reason why. Thanks!

I do feel sort of "high" when running outside...I suffer from light depression from time to time but every time when I hit the road, I feel there's nothing I can't do in this world...you know...not necesarily wanted to cry but a different feeling than feeling sorry about myself.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Omg it's not just me then?

Feels much happier :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I've never, ever heard of this, but I think it's kind of interesting. :ohwell:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Does this happen at other times as well? If so, perhaps something else is going on that would warrant further investigation. The endorphin/stress release explanations sound logical otherwise.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    don't think I was being outlandish. One of the first responses a woman gets if they say they're upset is, "Are you PMSing?" or something flippant like "go buy some tampons."

Oh man, I was just about to suggest you go buy some crampons...you know, give ice climbing a try. Now I feel weird saying that though.

Seriously though as to your issue its hard for me to comment knowledgeably as I have never personally experienced that. Is it possible that your weight or appearance is an emotional hot button for you and so to finally be in a gym actively doing something towards your health is just on some deep subconscious level a very emotional thing for you?

With anything I'd just say give it time, it may pass as this becomes more routine for you.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Does this happen at other times as well? If so, perhaps something else is going on that would warrant further investigation. The endorphin/stress release explanations sound logical otherwise.

For me no but occasionally near the end of a workout I feel a bit teary for a few moments and it passes. I just thought it was me haha!
  • Janautical
    I think some times it might be emotional related. Like, today, I saw a chubby young girl working out with a trainer, and I got very emotional because well, that's what I used to be, but I hated myself too much to do anything about it and battled with abuse and binge eating. But most of the time, I'm not really thinking about anything in particular, so I think it has to do with the endorphins.

Everyone, thank you so much for your input, it makes me feel much better to know I'm not alone in this!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member

If you have no idea how to help, then why chime in about the way she phrases a question?

OP, yes, it has happened to me. In fact, it happened to me yesterday in the squat rack when I failed on the last rep of a squat going for a PR. My CNS was firing, and I kind of became overwhelmed with emotion. You will see it sometimes in sporting events. It happens to a lot of people. Some people feel elated, some feel overwhelmed, and some become aggressive or a little angry.

Blame the endocrine system. Some people get more an endorphin surge, some get more adrenaline.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Do you work out at the beginning or the end of the day? I could totally see it being a response to letting go (or processing) the stress of the day.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    I sort of get it if I'm able to get solid shots in on a bigger, faster, and higher ranking male but that might just be me trying not to gloat. Gloating would be bad. I'd get my butt handed to me if I gloated.

I don't really know, but being emotional about making it to the gym and feeling really overwhelmed that you are there, making progress, sounds pretty reasonable.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    When I did a 5k last year, I bawled at the finish line. I never experienced anything like that before. I think I was overcome with emotion that I didn't die!!! :happy:

I'm not a doctor so I won't give any medical advice. I would suggest that perhaps you keep a log of when it happens and if you feel it's frequent, ask your doctor to see what they advise.

Sláinte :drinker:
  • cottonta1l
    cottonta1l Posts: 33 Member
    I get really happy and excited when I work out? I figure it's endorphins.
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Well, I do feel like bursting out laughing during an especially intense workout every now and then. Which I don't because I don't want to be the weirdo at the gym. I blame it on the endorphins. Not complaining though.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Well, I do feel like bursting out laughing during an especially intense workout every now and then. Which I don't because I don't want to be the weirdo at the gym. I blame it on the endorphins. Not complaining though.

This. I sometimes find that my eyes water a lot when I'm on the elliptical - it doesn't really feel like crying because my nose doesn't get blocked up but I feel a little bit crazy either trying not to laugh or chugging along with tears streaming down my face.
  • Maryanne1923
    Maryanne1923 Posts: 53 Member
    Once or twice when I've found a workout very challenging but pushed on and finished it I had an overwhelming feeling like I was going to cry. I put it down to being amazed at myself for actually doing it when I never thought that I would. That and endorphins.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    I've sometimes welled up in yoga classes when the teacher is talking through savasanna, for example if I've been having a bad day and they talk about self-acceptance or living in the now etc. I've never filled up in the gym though.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    You could be experiencing an emotional release. These typically happen during massage and other types of body work. It can happen when working out too. It's basically when you release an area where you have stored emotion, often times in your muscles.

If you're working out you're moving muscles that may not get much movement otherwise, if you happen to carry stress in those muscles then you may find yourself feeling overwhelmed or sad or even laughing for no reason. It's totally normal. I like to think of it as a way for us to release energy and to find balance in our emotional and psychological health. Part of getting fit and healthy is emotional.

I personally have experienced it in frog pose at yoga. I cycle between laughter and tears. Nothing to be ashamed of or be worried about, it's a good thing!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Maybe you're just tired or not relaxed while exercising?
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    I've experienced this once!
    It had been after 4 months of intensive training with my personal trainer. I was on the elliptical and didn't have a good day. I wasn't able to get through a work out that I had managed a week before. Just before I started crying, I stepped of and went to the bike to continue with the next part of my work out. Same effect there, I wasn't able to manage the intensity I was supposed to do and which I had done with no problem the week before. I just stopped there and went showering, washing off some tears which I was able to keep until nobody saw me anymore.
    That was the moment my trainer had warned me at the beginning of his work: " there will be a time that I don't want to see you at the gym: you'll need a break and some rest and everything you do during that time will be useless."
    I didn't believe him: after all I asked him to train me to lose weight and become fit, not to tell me that I need a break...
    After a week or 2 of resting and not working out, I was ready to start all over, and managed the intensive workout I wasn't able to do 2 weeks earlier.
    This only happened once! Since that moment, I know when it's time for the next break, and I usually ask for it.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Sometimes when I lift really heavy weights emotions I keep bottled up come up and I get misty eyed. It just brings out things.

Never for me during cardio, though.