Dressings

Options
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any good dressings that they make? I am having to cut out, potatoes and pasta so and looking for dressings to go with warm vegetables and cold salads.

Thank you

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I love the ranch dressing I make and its just 20 calories and 0 fat for 2 tbsp. Just take the hidden valley packet and instead of using the ingredients it lists, use greek yogurt and skim milk. Its a little thinner than normal ranch, but just as yummy!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I don't make it myself but I buy ranch dressing and absolutely love it! I have it with cold salad and inside tortilla wraps. 75 cals for 1 tablespoon serving but I think there's a lighter version out there somewhere.
  • jyt2573
    jyt2573 Posts: 80
    Options
    For my salads, I drench everything in lemon juice and then dip my fork into 1 tbs. of any dressing I want. I get big flavor in every bite and don't feel deprived.

Another great tip, if you like hot sauce, is to put 2 tbs. of grated parmesean cheese on your salad and then shake hot sauce on top for a "Buffalo Salad." Yum!
  • Ateamfosho
    Options
    Honey and mustard home made with really decent products as they tend to be lower in calories x
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't make it but wanted to let you know that there is line of low cal dressings made by Maple Grove Farms.

Best wishes to you.

- Eva
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If you want something different, honey mustard is pretty low cal and I personally love it
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Honey and mustard home made with really decent products as they tend to be lower in calories x

on the same page!
  • shellef30
    Options
    Wow you ladies are fab! its not so much the calories im concerned with more just jazzing up the food because of all the other things i have to cut out, love the sound of all of the above :D
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound silly,... but have you tried salt and pepper? I learned that once at weight watchers and started using just salt and pepper on plain baked potatoes -- and I actually liked it! I now use salt and pepper instead of dressing on salads also. It may not be for everyone, but I suggest trying it because it's a big calorie saver if you decide you like it.
  • shellef30
    Options
    Pepper, chilli, garlic yes, salt i have never liked, i have never put salt on my food only in my food
  • Flossycat100
    Options
    If you start with a base of olive oil and vinegar you can add pretty much anything to make a range of interesting dressings. Personally I like chilli (leave some chilli flakes to infuse in the dressing), or lime juice, or lemon juice, or a small amount of garlic (again, crushed and infused). Honey and mustard is indeed lovely and you can also use wholegrain mustard which makes it a bit peppier and crunchy too!

I have also found a great range of flavoured oils and vinegars in most supermarkets and these are generally great for drizzling. Raspberry vinegar can be LOVELY, as can garlic oil, but there are a heap of others. Often I just use a really good Balsamic vinegar on its own!

Depending on what's in your salad how about a natural yogurt-based drizzle, mixed with a tiny bit of skimmed milk or water to loosen it up and perhaps some fresh mint?

I also have two or three shop-bought ones- I often prefer to buy the creamy-style ones rather than make them myself as they are less fiddly. Pizza Express do nice ones but I think there is a huge range to try x
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    yes- olive oil, baslsamic venigar and garlic is delicious

Also I have a good recipe that uses spicy mango chutney, garlic, vinegar

the kraft Italian light (spicy or regulat) is really good too.
  • Ateamfosho
    Options
    Totally I love it with some pasta and chicken really low cal if you make it yourself :) xxx
  • Drosera
    Options
    I sometimes mix low fat cottage cheese with garlic and mustard. Maybe it's better on bread, but I guess it could be good in salad as well :)
  • shellef30
    Options
    Drosera now that sounds lush and a brilliant way to make cottage cheese much tastier as well as the rest of my food

Good call
  • Ateamfosho
    Options
    Totally I love it with some pasta and chicken really low cal if you make it yourself :) xxx

[/quote]

on the same page!
    [/quote]
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Make some oven-roasted veggies, add seasoning, puree with whatever you have that purees stuff, drizzle over food! I like to do a red pepper, a small onion & 3 or 4 cloves of garlic seasoned with some oregano and a little oil if it looks like it needs it (I prefer avocado oil for my veggie sauces) - yum.
  • shellef30
    Options
    bloodbank i am going to do that this evening