Does anyone else cry more easily when eating a deficit?

Options
Just to be clear, I'm not eating 1200 calls a day. I'm eating around 1600, exercising, eating very healthily (IMO) whole foods, nothing too processed, tons of fruit and veg blah blah you get the picture. But I am eating at a slight deficit and losing 0.5-1 lb a week. All seems good.

Except every time I lose weight I become very emotional and cry so much more easily. I'm much worse on a low fat diet I've noticed so I'm deliberately eating high fat (healthy fats) which helps, but still, snivelling at the slightest thing.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Replies

• 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Cry, no. Make others cry? Yes.
  • blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Can't say I have noticed that. Maybe some kind of hormonal imbalance or something? How old are you? Do you take the contraceptive pill or any medication that might effect your hormones?
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 so could def be hormones but it's only really a problem when I'm losing weight, not if I'm maintaining (or gaining lol!). Not on any meds at all.
    Maybe it's just me, maybe my body's way of complaining about giving up its cosy fat stores!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know if it has anything to do with that, but when I was on deficit (I'm maitaining now) I was such a cry baby. Everything just seemed to upset me. Now I'm not like that...
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    Yeah, I don't know if it has anything to do with that, but when I was on deficit (I'm maitaining now) I was such a cry baby. Everything just seemed to upset me. Now I'm not like that...

Oh, maybe it's not just me then! Wonder why that happens...
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Fat consumption can assist in relation to the regulation and balance of hormone functions, which is why you may be finding it helpful. Maybe you could up it a bit more to see if that improves further?
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    Fat consumption can assist in relation to the regulation and balance of hormone functions, which is why you may be finding it helpful. Maybe you could up it a bit more to see if that improves further?

Aha! I feel some googling coming on! Thank you!
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Cry, no. Make others cry? Yes.

This, I'm terrible when I don't have enough food. It takes all my remaining energy not to punch people in the face.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere ( not sure where) that fat cells tend to store lots of junk like chemicals and hormones so it is not unheard of that when these get broken down as you lose weight that you get flooded with excess hormones.
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options

Aha! I feel some googling coming on! Thank you!

Good luck:)
  • Always_Belle
    Always_Belle Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There definitely can be a chemical response due to you not getting something nutritionally that you need which is impacting your hormones.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    That sounds like something is off with your hormones. I'm not usually one to say doctor right away, but it might be worth a visit to a gyno to see if something is off there.

What exactly is your fat macro set to? I believe the recommendation is .35g per pound of bodyweight. It is important to eat enough fat to help regulate your hormones.

Also, are you sleeping well at night? I get weepy if I'm working out hard and not recovering well from my workouts (not enough sleep). Make sure to take rest days as well...if you don't want to rest completely try a long walk or yoga to keep yourself moving but let your body heal from the hard work you're asking it to do.
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    There definitely can be a chemical response due to you not getting something nutritionally that you need which is impacting your hormones.

I think this could well be the case yet ironically I am eating so much more healthily, no junk, no alcohol etc. ha! Now I know where I'm going wrong! I need crisps, chocolate and a bottle of wine lol! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I had terrible troubles getting my fat levels right. If I have it too high then it upsets my IBD, too little and my hormones go crazy. I've actually settled on 40% of calories from natural fats and I feel best here.

I would suggest making sure that everything is okay and you are getting enough of the right sorts of fats.
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    That sounds like something is off with your hormones. I'm not usually one to say doctor right away, but it might be worth a visit to a gyno to see if something is off there.

What exactly is your fat macro set to? I believe the recommendation is .35g per pound of bodyweight. It is important to eat enough fat to help regulate your hormones.

Also, are you sleeping well at night? I get weepy if I'm working out hard and not recovering well from my workouts (not enough sleep). Make sure to take rest days as well...if you don't want to rest completely try a long walk or yoga to keep yourself moving but let your body heal from the hard work you're asking it to do.

Thanks for this, I only work out with weights 2 or 3 times a week then I either cycle or swim once a week so I get lots of rest days. I sleep REALLY well. Work is stressful but it always is so that hasn't really changed. My fat macro is set at 53g (32%) of my diet. I weigh 144lbs so that should be plenty of healthy fat, I'm maybe just not getting the right kind or it's my age and my hormones, and maybe I only notice it more when I'm eating a deficit.

Just eaten a super powered smoothie with almond milk, ground flax seeds, peanut butter and a banana to banish these blues!!!
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    I had terrible troubles getting my fat levels right. If I have it too high then it upsets my IBD, too little and my hormones go crazy. I've actually settled on 40% of calories from natural fats and I feel best here.

I would suggest making sure that everything is okay and you are getting enough of the right sorts of fats.

Thanks, I did feel better the other day when I had 50% of my calories from fats! (Nuts and olives). Seems excessive but if it works who am I to complain.
    Your dog looks so cute!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Another thought - you might need your Vitamin D checked. I also get emotional when I'm a little low, particularly in the winter months. There are some places that the deficiency is more common, but it also appears to be genetically linked, and I know both my parents have to take a vitamin D supplement.
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    Oh I didn't know about vitamin D I'll look into that, thanks!
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have less energey when eating at a deficit, which means I'm not as equipped to deal with stuff, and quicker to any emotion (anger, sadness, etc). I think if you are already at a healthy weight and just trying to cut it can be trickier, because your body is fighting you.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit makes me want to punch people in the face.

:flowerforyou: