Gym workouts?

Options
bobbiedr
bobbiedr Posts: 260 Member
So I joined Planet Fitness a couple of weeks ago, and I've been using different cardio equipment and the 30 minute express room, but I'd like to get into doing cardio days and strength training days. Problem is that I wouldn't know what to do. I'd like to have my workouts be between 40-50 minutes long.

Anyone have any routines or tips to give me for strength training days, or even an app I could use on my iPhone?

Also, I know some posters on here don't like PF, but it's what I can afford, and I like it, so please refrain from negative comments on the gym. I only mentioned the gym name so some people would know what kind of machines I have access to.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    look into starting strength, or new rules on lifting. both will help to set up a solid beginners program. if your planet fitness has barbells and benches plus a power rack, i highly suggest stronglifts 5x5
  • bald_navy_wife
    bald_navy_wife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    this is my quick(15-30 minute) workout for when i'm at home but i'm sure you can do it at the gym too.
    10 walk down push ups
    20 lunges (each leg)
    30 squats
    40 calf raises
    50 jumping jacks
    60 second wall sit
    50 jumping jacks
    40 sumo squats
    30 leg lifts(front ,side,back)
    20 jump squats
    10 plank knee tucks

**and you can repeat this as many times as you'd like.i hope this helps. good luck!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I've never even seen a PF. I work out at the community gym with "Starting Strength" with my DH. It works for both of us. I'd do what I could with the equipment on hand until I could work out something better.
  • bobbiedr
    Options
    So 5x5 is 5 sets of 5 reps, right?

I'm used to doing DVD workouts, so I'm new to the whole gym thing.
  • jlclabo
    Options
    So 5x5 is 5 sets of 5 reps, right?

I'm used to doing DVD workouts, so I'm new to the whole gym thing.

yes, set up un a linear progression format. very easy to learn and follow.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    look into starting strength, or new rules on lifting. both will help to set up a solid beginners program. if your planet fitness has barbells and benches plus a power rack, i highly suggest stronglifts 5x5

Isn't PF the one that doesn't have any of these, or is that just exaggeration?
  • jlclabo
    Options

Isn't PF the one that doesn't have any of these, or is that just exaggeration?

i have heard of some that do, that is why i asked.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Do they have trainers or anybody to give you an introduction to the equipment? That seems like a logical place to start.
  • ejonesy31
    ejonesy31 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been told you're supposed to do three cardio days and two strength training days. I don't know if that is the kind of advice you are looking for, but it seems to be working for me :)
  • DKBingaman
    DKBingaman Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi!! i had the same problem but i looked at videos on youtube and it led me to getting the bodyspace app and starting the Jamie Eason's livefit trainer i'm only on week two but it certainly helped me get to know the workout equipment better.
    i like this program because there is no cardio the first 4 weeks (woo!)
  • bobbiedr
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! :)
  • RobertReese12
    Options
    This seems nice to me. A 1 hour daily exercise will helpful to keep your body in shape. Add Strong lifts 5×5 work out to your gym. It is a simple workout to get stronger.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any routines or tips to give me for strength training days, or even an app I could use on my iPhone?

I just downloaded BodySpace and am just starting out using Jamie Eason's Live Fit. This app is great because not only does it line out your workouts for you, but it has pictures and video of what you are supposed to do...which is perfect for a weight newbie like myself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been told you're supposed to do three cardio days and two strength training days. I don't know if that is the kind of advice you are looking for, but it seems to be working for me :)

i think it depend on your goals really.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    lots of good suggestions.

it also wouldn't be crazy to do the same machines that are in the 30 min workout area, but do like 3 sets on a machine, and then move on.

I've been to one planet fitness that had a kick *kitten* trainer with multiple graduate degrees.

Every other PF i've been to the 'trainer' was a highschool kid with a clip board and little or no experience.

I dont recommend utilizing the PF trainers much other then to show you how to use a machine.
  • bobbiedr
    Options
    Do I have to sign up for the fitness classes to get a trainer? How do I get a trainer to help me?
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Go to the front counter - talk to one of the people there - my PF has a Trainer on staff - he teaches some classes throughout the day, sometimes wanders around to answer questions and has several times during the week where you sign up (no cost) and he helps you develop a program for YOU.

I split my routine into 2 days, Upper body/abs - lower body - and always do some cardio when I am there.

I like the Express routine - quick easy and hits the high points.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Do I have to sign up for the fitness classes to get a trainer? How do I get a trainer to help me?

just be real critical of what they ask you to do. like i said, there was the one trainer at PF that clearly knew what she was doing. At the one my parents belonged too, the kid had them do more sets of more exercises then I used to do in highschool.