I want to eat brown rice plain

Options

Replies

• sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Furikake

Basically it's flavored seasoning. A teaspoon is more than enough for a whole plate of rice. And it's only like 10 calories.

edit: example link http://www.amazon.com/Nagatanien-FURIKAKE-Seasoning-Japanese-Import/dp/B002PGZKPM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1400590084&sr=8-6&keywords=furikake
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Rice isn't really known for its robust taste, so I'm not sure about eating it plain. The plainest way to eat it that is still tasty is to melt butter over it and add salt...

Sometimes I mix vegetable juice and water, roughly 50:50, and cook the rice in that. Adds flavour and vitamins. Other times I cook it together with veggies and grate cheese over it.
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Put broth in it. :)

But seriously, here's my quick & dirty black beans and brown rice recipe. If you don't like black beans...well you should, because they are delicious.

1 white onion
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 tbsp minced garlic
    2 cans black beans
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 cup lime juice
    1/8 cup cilantro

Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Chop onion and saute until translucent. Add garlic and stir. Add rice and saute until mixed well with onion and oil. Add chicken broth and increase heat to high, Add chili powder and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Allow rice to cook fully, generally 20 minutes for brown rice. Remove lid, stir, add beans, tomatoes, lime juice, cilantro, and stir until well mixed. Serve hot.

Yum!!!!!! I'm making this. Immediately! Ok, I'll soak the beans first:). Thank you!

Bump, sounds good
  • taradunkley1
    taradunkley1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use a little olive oil and cut up green onion in them
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Sesame Oil, Tomato Sauce, Sautee w/ Garlic &Herbs, Sriracha.

You can any of these in before or during the cooking process - but if you're asking to eat brown rice plain, then none of the suggestions will help you.

I like adding sliced avocado and chicken to mine, or throwing some Furikake on it. It's usually in asian stores but has sesame seeds, bonito, and toasted nori in it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... if you want to eat brown rice- eat brown rice.

If you do not like it- don't eat it.

if you like it- eat it.

I mean- I like jasmine rice- and coconut rice- I HATE brown rice- I hate the texture and the fact there is stuff in it- nope nope nope- so I just don't eat it.

Life is way to short to eat stuff you don't like constantly because someone tells you it's so much better for you.
  • dearbornfirefly
    Options
    How about if you try adding a tablespoon of peanut butter or peanut powder (dehydrated, de-fatted peanut butter)? Good luck!
  • dearbornfirefly
    Options
    The above recipe with black beans looks delish, I will try this, too! thanks!
  • marialynn2014
    marialynn2014 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I like to add a little Mrs. Dash. No extra sodium or cals. I use table blend.
  • blackizbutiful
    blackizbutiful Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I usually add tonnes of onions peppers and of course mushrooms in it. I saute them buy themselves with olive or coconut oil let them get soft add to hot rice
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Add pesto.
  • ftballmom9296
    ftballmom9296 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe on here last week and it is amazing and you can pretty much add what you want and count the calories or not add if you don't like.
    Brown Rice
    Black Beans
    Cheese
    Pico De Gallo
    Franks Red Hot Sauce
    Lemon Pepper
    Garlic Salt.
    Avocado
    Oh my goodness it was amazing and today I had it for lunch although I used Crockpot Salsa Chicken instead of the Black Beans.
  • WLG1974
    WLG1974 Posts: 90
    Options
    You guys are so helpful! Thank you all so much. I'm copying these and trying them all out because I love brown rice!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    But it doesn't taste good unless I throw meat and other food in it.

If you have any suggestions besides, "put some broth in it" or "use olive oil" it would be awesome. I love brown rice but I would love to try to get used to eating it without meat products.

If you have any brown rice recipes that you love, I would greatly appreciate you posting it below. :wink:

You say you love brown rice..........in that case you probably can eat it with anything. I top it with any kind of vegetables, mix it in salads ( I especially like it with Pico de Gallo with lots of cilantro), crack an egg on it, let it set and add a few drops of good soy sauce and a few drops of chinese sesame oil. Make fried rice with whatever you like or have on hand. The options are truly endless.....I also like " rice cakes " ( mix the rice with beaten eggs, some chopped green onion, seasoning of your taste and bake or fry hamburger size patties....I eat them hot, warm or cold with Sri Racha sauce ).
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I keep bags of frozen precooked brown rice in the freezer at work for when I don't have time to make lunch. I just heat it up and squirt some hot sauce in it and if I'm lucky, half an avocado. I also take any random veggies left over from the night before and will mix them in there too. I pretty much throw anything in there. I like it plain too, though, but maybe I'm a weirdo.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    These recipes sound great!
  • pam933
    pam933 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I make it using this recipe (usually as a side to go with something else - and it comes out really good).

1 1/2 cups medium- or short-grain brown rice
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 teaspoon Kosher salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Place the rice in 8-inch square baking dish.
    Bring water and butter and salt to boil in covered saucepan (I never cover the saucepan)
    Once the water boils, pour it over rice, stir to combine and cover baking dish tightly with doubled layer of foil.
    Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour. (I only cook it for 45 minutes)
    After one hour remove rice and fluff with a fork.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Try adding pesto. You won't be sorry.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Love love LOVE rice with Cholula hot sauce. Esp the one with lime. So good!

What about eggs? I like over medium with hot sauce. I burst the yoke, and it combines with the hot sauce to make a delicious and nutritious sauce for the rice.

Now I'm hungry, haha!

Yup, over-easy or poached eggs on top of rice is dope! I use parmesan cheese instead of hot sauce.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Have you tried brown basmati rice? Different aroma cooking, and a different taste, too.