Advice for staying motivated?

2»

Replies

• rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    I'm making a conscious decision to NOT QUIT no matter what happens - lose weight or not, have a bad day or a bad meal - just get back on it
    Do this and you'll be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I'm in it for the long haul -
    just wishing I could be more confident in my journey some days...

so here's the thing.

You keep coming back to your feelings about it.

Stop feeling about it.

Commit to the thing. It is not good or bad- warm and fuzzy or motivated- it is emotionless- it is what you DO. the successful people are successful because they trust the math- and science and they stay consistent even when the path feels shakey.

Stop looking for motivation. Look for discipline and determination instead.

You can do it- you just have to put your head down and lean into the collar and keep pulling.

Agree completely with this. While I haven't been successful every single day, I am committed to being healthy. Previously I've had unhealthy years of poor eating and zero excercise and those times have been significantly reduced. It is truly a commitment but the only person I'm committing to is me. My health and my fitness are one of the very few selfish things I allow myself. If I'm unwilling to let my kids down about something the least I can do is be responsible enough to myself as well.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Good advise so far.

For me, it's realizing that I now have a new lifestyle. I've been reborn into a new way of living, the overweight guy from 2 years ago is gone. Every day, I can make choices that either nutures my body and makes it better (what ever better means) or I can destroy it. I choose to make myself better. And in so doing, I harness the ability to do things that I never thought I could do and quiet frankly, less than 5% of the humans walking the Earth can do.

I choose a better way of life...why I still can.
  • lottylulu1969
    lottylulu1969 Posts: 16 Member
    bump
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Accept this one fact: Some days, you will fail and that's just a part of the journey.

I think we all expect perfection - that every day we're going to exercise until we sweat the fat off our bodies and then eat healthy, nutritious food and stay under our calories. Every. Single. Day.

This is just isn't realistic. Things happen. Holidays happen. Mood swings happen. Hormones happen. And that's okay. Just accept it as part of the process and when it does happen, forgive yourself and move on.

I also find it really helpful to wallpaper my life with motivational quotes/photos/notes to remind myself on days I'm imperfect, why I'm doing this. It's been nearly 4 years now, and I still find notes and pictures extremely helpful.
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    I'm making a conscious decision to NOT QUIT no matter what happens - lose weight or not, have a bad day or a bad meal - just get back on it
    Do this and you'll be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I agree with you - taking the emotion out of the equation is probably going to make me more successful -
    I can do this = I know I can.
    Trust the process...

I'm in it for the long haul -
    just wishing I could be more confident in my journey some days...

so here's the thing.

You keep coming back to your feelings about it.

Stop feeling about it.

Commit to the thing. It is not good or bad- warm and fuzzy or motivated- it is emotionless- it is what you DO. the successful people are successful because they trust the math- and science and they stay consistent even when the path feels shakey.

Stop looking for motivation. Look for discipline and determination instead.

You can do it- you just have to put your head down and lean into the collar and keep pulling.
  • _sirenofthesea_

I have a couple of 5K races I'm signed up for - one is a mud challenge in the fall that I'm preparing for -

<what was I thinking?>
    LOL
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    This is an opportunity you can seize. It will not simply fall into your lap if you do nothing. You have the chance to improve your life. Yes, it will take work and lots of effort. That said, consider the humble postage stamp. The stamp is successful simply by virtue of sticking to it until the job is done.

This isn't about the cookie you don't "get" to have. It is about all the other "gets" you will have. You "get" to make the choices. With healthier choices you will likely "get" more energy and be able to do more. With that, you "get" more fun with family and friends, and even by yourself. You get to LIVE your life rather than simply existing. Life comes with few guarantees, but your odds are better with healthy habits.

And that cookie, by itself, won't change much. It is the other dozen cookies waiting to ambush you if you are not careful! Keep things in moderation. "Getting" that cookie may delay some of the progress you desire.

Let's keep it simple. Figure out where you are. Figure out where you want to be. Decide how to get there, preferably in a healthy manner. Follow your plan. If you make a wrong turn, navigate back on to your path. The process will probably take longer than you want or hope. You can still make it there. You might be surprised at how many of us are making it there, one step and one day at a time. Won't you come along with us? :-)
  • sandrac148
    sandrac148 Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks for this post...I had a bad week, but I don't want to give up. I just have to keep going. It's not a diet, it's my life now.
  • _sirenofthesea_
    Thanks for this post...I had a bad week, but I don't want to give up. I just have to keep going. It's not a diet, it's my life now.

One foot in front of the other. Day after day. :)
  • _sirenofthesea_
    Thank you everyone for posting - at the end of the day, we are all striving for the same thing - a healthy future - no matter how far we have to go or the road we take to get there :)