Stuck! Help please :(

Options
Hey guys. I have been on MFP since about September and lost around 80 lbs in that time. Lately I have been hitting a plateau and haven't been losing anything. I have been sticking to the goal MFP set for me, which is 1540 calories a day. I do try to get vegetables and fruits but I am by no means a clean eater.. but I am pretty reliable about making sure I'm at that goal daily minus the occasional (every 1 1/2-2 weeks) cheat meal. My dairy is not open to public as I don't want rude comments on what I'm eating, I am mostly concerned about how many calories I should be taking in and what I could possibly tweak to get through this plateau.

I do exercise a minimum for 15 minutes for 4-5 days a week. I also work overnight at an emergency hospitals. Some nights it is slow and I spend most of my time sitting. Some nights it is super busy and I have worn my fitbit to work and clocked in over 13,000 steps in 7 hours before. I do not wear my fitbit on a regular basis because I feel like it gives me room to possibly make a mistake or bad choices late at night when I get off work. I also do not eat 4-5 hours before bed.

I set my activity level on MFP as sedentary because the night I am sitting at work. I don't eat anything extra on the days I am more active. According to online calculators my TDEE for sedentary lifestyle is around 2464 and my BMR is around 2088. I was thinking about trying to eat 2000 cals/day for a week and see if that breaks the plateau. Maybe I am eating under for the amount of activity I do some days so my body is storing too much food?

I do have times, particularly at work on busy days, when I have started feeling light headed and nauseous. But I do eat when I feel that way and usually carry portioned snacks like trail mix, crackers, or a fruit with me.

If anyone could offer some ideas or suggestions that would be great.

For the record my starting weight in September was around 365. I am currently 284. (I'm 5'4)

Thanks guys :)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    without an open diary it's hard to pinpoint.

so...do you use a kitchen scale to weigh your solids? measure your liquids? do you log everything? do you choose the correct entries? how do you calculate your calorie burns? do you eat them all back? if not how many?

How long have you been "stuck"? If less than 4 weeks don't worry about it...more than see above...

Have you started new exercise in the last couple of weeks?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You don't mention how long it's been since you last saw a drop on the scale. Stalls of a week or three are very common and usually nothing to worry about.

When the scale sticks it's usually a good idea to double-check the accuracy of your numbers. Are you logging everything (including veggies, condiments, and cooking oils)? Are you using a food scale (when possible)? Are you guestimating or estimating any of your calories?
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I set my activity level on MFP as sedentary because the night I am sitting at work. I don't eat anything extra on the days I am more active. According to online calculators my TDEE for sedentary lifestyle is around 2464 and my BMR is around 2088. I was thinking about trying to eat 2000 cals/day for a week and see if that breaks the plateau. Maybe I am eating under for the amount of activity I do some days so my body is storing too much food?

I do have times, particularly at work on busy days, when I have started feeling light headed and nauseous. But I do eat when I feel that way and usually carry portioned snacks like trail mix, crackers, or a fruit with me.

If anyone could offer some ideas or suggestions that would be great.

For the record my starting weight in September was around 365. I am currently 284. (I'm 5'4)

Thanks guys :)

You know, I'm just going to say great job losing so much weight. That's not easy. You should be proud of yourself. Go pat yourself on the back and maybe do a little happy dance.

Seriously, what you've accomplished so far is nothing to sneeze at, and that you're thinking about and examining what's going on with your plateau. In my opinion you are right on target in thinking that you're eating too little and your metabolism is crashing.

I don't know your age, but based upon the info you've provided your adjusted BMR (BMR * 1.2 - which is the factor for a typical sedentary lifestyle, ie. desk job) is about 2400. So eating 1540 a day is putting you at almost a 1000 calorie deficit, which is way, way too steep. I'm not at all surprised that you feel light-headed and occasionally nauseous.

It's hard to determine an ideal weight, but for 5'4" let's say your ideal weight tops out at 151 pounds. One way to get there is to target the maintenance calories for that body weight, which would be about 1760 calories. If you use that as your daily goal, and never go below it, you should begin to see renewed progress, and it will also have the benefit of training you to eat for that target body weight. But what you might want to do, because you've been at such a steep deficit for so long that going to 2000 calories for a while to reset your metabolism could be a good move.

Regardless, congratulations on what you've accomplished so far. Here's to further success.

-Tex
  • gingercurves
    gingercurves Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    To answer questions: I just turned 25. I do measure my food portions out and don't really eat anything that needs to be weighed. I do guesstimate at times but I guesstimate on the high end always. I most often eat fruits, yogurts, granola bars, and a lot of things I eat are prepackaged with calorie values on them (no judgement please--not the healthiest but a lot better than when I ate super sized value meals 3x a day and heaping piles of fried food and 4500 calories). I do eat chips, crackers, etc but I measure out portions carefully. Whenever eating out too I do choose low-cal options and usually only eat 1/2-3/4 of the plate until I am full. I did start doing pilates this past week. I do not really log exercise or eat back calories often. I have only lost about .6 lbs in 3 weeks and I believe it is mostly water weight. Thanks for the replies guys. Just looking for suggestions.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    To answer questions: I just turned 25. I do measure my food portions out and don't really eat anything that needs to be weighed. I do guesstimate at times but I guesstimate on the high end always. I most often eat fruits, yogurts, granola bars, and a lot of things I eat are prepackaged with calorie values on them (no judgement please--not the healthiest but a lot better than when I ate super sized value meals 3x a day and heaping piles of fried food and 4500 calories). I do eat chips, crackers, etc but I measure out portions carefully. Whenever eating out too I do choose low-cal options and usually only eat 1/2-3/4 of the plate until I am full. I did start doing pilates this past week. I do not really log exercise or eat back calories often. I have only lost about .6 lbs in 3 weeks and I believe it is mostly water weight. Thanks for the replies guys. Just looking for suggestions.
    Most all of those things you mentioned should be weighed using a food scale. Try it out--you might be surprised.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

so you don't eat solid food? ie meat, veggies, fruits, pasta, breads etc? That all needs weighed. No judgement on prepackaged foods trust me I eat it too...

Measuring typically doesn't cut it for solids...even prepackaged items have a chance of being off as much as 20%...

That being said new exercise will cause water retention and 3 weeks isn't anything to worry about...I've gone 4 weeks then woosh..2lbs gone..

Happens...as well stress can cause water retention.

Only suggestion would be to ensure you are logging accurately and consistently, buy a food scale and weigh solids...all of them..make sure the entry you choose is correct...there are lots here that are not correct.

Last suggestion remember weight loss is not linear and water retention from new exercise and stress (from not losing) masks weight loss.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    no carbs or fruit/sugar after lunch & you'll start losing again.
  • gingercurves
    gingercurves Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do eat veggie and fruit and meat and bread, but I typically go by the listing on the bag (ie 1 serving of 1 slice of bread 120 calories) or select the biggest calorie option for like a banana or something in the MFP food bank. I could probably be more accurate with logging but I rarely have time to grab something from the fridge much less weigh it due to my busy lifestyle. But thanks, I will keep your advice in mind.

so you don't eat solid food? ie meat, veggies, fruits, pasta, breads etc? That all needs weighed. No judgement on prepackaged foods trust me I eat it too...

Measuring typically doesn't cut it for solids...even prepackaged items have a chance of being off as much as 20%...

That being said new exercise will cause water retention and 3 weeks isn't anything to worry about...I've gone 4 weeks then woosh..2lbs gone..

Happens...as well stress can cause water retention.

Only suggestion would be to ensure you are logging accurately and consistently, buy a food scale and weigh solids...all of them..make sure the entry you choose is correct...there are lots here that are not correct.

Last suggestion remember weight loss is not linear and water retention from new exercise and stress (from not losing) masks weight loss.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    no carbs or fruit/sugar after lunch & you'll start losing again.

Don't listen to this.

Start weighing your food. And don't eat below your BMR. If you're really eating 1500 calories (which is highly unlikely if you're guessing), and your BMR is 2000, you're eating way too little.

Seriously, it takes 2 seconds to weigh your food. Put your plate on the scale, turn the scale on, plop the food on the scale, done.
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    I do eat veggie and fruit and meat and bread, but I typically go by the listing on the bag (ie 1 serving of 1 slice of bread 120 calories) or select the biggest calorie option for like a banana or something in the MFP food bank. I could probably be more accurate with logging but I rarely have time to grab something from the fridge much less weigh it due to my busy lifestyle. But thanks, I will keep your advice in mind.

I used to do the same thing and I was surprised at the discrepancies I found when using the scale. I fought getting one for a very long time, but now I'm happy to have it.

Another thing that may help you is to up your water intake. I work in a hospital as well and find that when I'm running around so much, I don't take the time to hydrate properly. Hydrating makes weight loss a whole lot easier and should take away a lot of that dizziness and fatigue you're talking about!

Congrats on your amazing loss so far though! It's a fantastic accomplishment.
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    To be honest with you, it just sounds like your body has balanced itself out with your daily routine, and whats its getting in Fuel. The basic answer is to change your routine somehow.

1. Increase your daily/weekly exercise
    2. Change the type of exercise your doing e.g. from walking to cycling, or from jogging to swimming etc etc
    3. Make some changes to the food your eating. Try reducing the amount of carb foods for a while, and increasing protien foods.
    4. Try to change the meal times. Perhaps rather than having the standard, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and evening Snack, break it down further. Instead of eating 3-4 times a day, eat 6-7 times a day, smaller portions, more often, 2-3 hours apart.

Thats just some suggestions mate. I have been there too, hitting the plateu. All I did was change things around, and I continue to change things around every 4 weeks or so. It keeps the body guessing, and stops its from resting on its laurels :P

Well done tho, and good luck :D
  • Sherrellynn
    Options
    I think you just need to back off your intake. You can put in you profile again and it will adjust it for you. I was stuck and took up a new hobby. Just something different that what I was doing. Lifting even small hand weights will help. Moving to music. you pick. Hope this helps.