Going numb?

Options
So I've started walking rather vigorously in an effort to get myself down another dress size. For 2 weeks with was going fine. Now, without changing anything in my walking routine, I've started getting extremely painful cramps in my calves early on in my walk. By half an hour in my feet are numb. I pushed through this once, because I was still a mile from home, and my entire left leg went numb. I know some bananas could help with the cramps, but what is with this numbness? It's kind of scaring me.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try stretching your calves *hourly* for 30 seconds, and right before walking too. Here is how:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgkmbXz8Mo

Post your results tomorrow.

Your "entire left leg went numb" - does that mean your thigh too?
  • shelbymkoenig
    shelbymkoenig Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Try stretching your calves *hourly* for 30 seconds, and right before walking too. Here is how:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkgkmbXz8Mo

Post your results tomorrow.

Your "entire left leg went numb" - does that mean your thigh too?

Yes my thigh too. My hip was incredibly sore the next day.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    not sure about the numbness, but pain in calves could be result of low potassium (hence eating the bananas) or maybe just needing a new pair of shoes. Think I would consult a doc if it continues.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out my calves would sometimes feel like they were on fire. And at times it would move to my feet and numb my toes.

I make sure to do a light stretch before working out, and deeper longer stretches after my workouts while my body is still warm. This helped a lot, and as I got stronger the pain completely went away.

If it continues then I'd highly recommend talking to your doctor.
    Best of luck!

21525558.png
  • sbryant1031
    Options
    I have had this happen as well, but it was in both of my legs. I talked to a doctor and he sent me to a chiropractor because it was a pinched nerve in my hip. The chiro just stretched me out for about 30 minutes a few times a week, and I haven't had it come back since. He told me to make sure to stretch my hip flexor really well after working out. I hope that helps!
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Shoes to tight? You could be tieing them to tight.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster, your shoes could be too tight. This used to happen to me all the time whether I was running or walking. I went to a running shop and the guy said that your feet swell when you exercise so you need to wear looser shoes. I now wear running shoes that are a size bigger than what I would normally wear.
  • wonderbeard101
    wonderbeard101 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had any lumbar disc injuries or sciatica?